none
Multiple Domain Time Sync Questions

Question

• I have multiple domains (NT4, 2000 servers and 2003 servers) (please let me know if there's different commands for 2000 vs 2003).. thks.. (also, can i do this remotely, if yes how).
    Q1: How do Identify the PDC Emulator in each domain?
    Q2: How do I modify/config each PDC Emulator to point to a primary and secondary time source.
    Q3: How do I verify and config if needed PDC Emulators Correct Time Zone and DST settings for USA.
    Q4: How do I verify if PDC is getting time from Time Sources (primary and secondary (how do i test this)...
    Q5a: How do I verify/config other Domain Controllers in each PDC domain , to make sure they are sync'd with their corresponding PDC Emulator...
    Q5b On the DC, can I set up a primary and secondary time source or only use the PDC Emulator as the source.....
    Q5C How do I verify/config DC for default time functions.... (so they are set up to get time from PDC Emulator).
    Q6: How do I resync a PDC Emulator or DC or stand-alone server, if it's way out of sync with time....
    Q7: How do I sync a non-domain system (workgroup) to a primary and secondary time source (and verify this is working).
    Q8: Is there a utility/command that allows me to monitors all time sync functions (to make sure everyone has got the right time, especially after day light savings time events) remotely for all my servers. (2000 and 2003)...even if they are in different domains... (we do not have a forest set up)....

That's all folks...
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:47 PM

Answers

• I have multiple domains (NT4, 2000 servers and 2003 servers) (please let me know if there's different commands for 2000 vs 2003).. thks.. (also, can i do this remotely, if yes how).
    Q2: How do I modify/config each PDC Emulator to point to a primary and secondary time source.
    Q3: How do I verify and config if needed PDC Emulators Correct Time Zone and DST settings for USA.
    Q4: How do I verify if PDC is getting time from Time Sources (primary and secondary (how do i test this)...
    Q5a: How do I verify/config other Domain Controllers in each PDC domain , to make sure they are sync'd with their corresponding PDC Emulator...
    Q5b On the DC, can I set up a primary and secondary time source or only use the PDC Emulator as the source.....
    Q5C How do I verify/config DC for default time functions.... (so they are set up to get time from PDC Emulator).
    Q6: How do I resync a PDC Emulator or DC or stand-alone server, if it's way out of sync with time....
    Q7: How do I sync a non-domain system (workgroup) to a primary and secondary time source (and verify this is working).
    Q8: Is there a utility/command that allows me to monitors all time sync functions (to make sure everyone has got the right time, especially after day light savings time events) remotely for all my servers. (2000 and 2003)...even if they are in different domains... (we do not have a forest set up)....

That's all folks...

Run the command in any of the windows server 2003 system

netdom query /domain:<domain name> fsmo

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042

Use this command on your PDC:
    w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:<timesource> /syncfromflags:manual
    /reliable:yes /update

where <timesource> is the IP address or DNS name of your external
    timesource.

and restart the time service with (might not be needed, but just in
    case...):
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Windows/microsoft.public.windows.server.general/2009-03/msg00584.html

Fallow the same steps as above.

timesource.

case...):
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307897

There are lot of tolls here are some

http://wareseeker.com/a-network-time-synchronization/

http://www.bestfreewaredownload.com/freeware/t-free-fg-time-sync-freeware-furefonn.html

Hope I have asnswerd all questions

Please feel free to get back if you need any further information.

Regards

Rajesh J S
    • Proposed as answer by Syed KhairuddinMVP Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by mpchiari Friday, October 30, 2009 1:33 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:52 PM

All replies

That's all folks...

Run the command in any of the windows server 2003 system

netdom query /domain:<domain name> fsmo

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042

timesource.

case...):
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Windows/microsoft.public.windows.server.general/2009-03/msg00584.html

Fallow the same steps as above.

timesource.

case...):
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307897

There are lot of tolls here are some

http://wareseeker.com/a-network-time-synchronization/

http://www.bestfreewaredownload.com/freeware/t-free-fg-time-sync-freeware-furefonn.html

Hope I have asnswerd all questions

Please feel free to get back if you need any further information.

Regards

Rajesh J S
    • Proposed as answer by Syed KhairuddinMVP Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by mpchiari Friday, October 30, 2009 1:33 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Thanks!
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:33 PM