none
Installing WSUS on Windows Server 2008 R2

Question

• I have the same problem as the others.

When I go to server manager and try to install the Windows Server Update Services on Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM it fails and says "The update could not be found. There may be a network connection issue".

It may be because I am attempting to use the R2 version too early and Microsoft Update has not yet been updated with an R2 version of WSUS. I like a challenge!!!
    Robin Wilson
    Monday, August 03, 2009 10:53 AM

Answers

• > Yes I downloaded and installed Server 2008 R2 as soon as it was available (legally that is!)

Unless there's a newer announcement posted since July 22nd, 2009, that has changed all of the availability dates for Windows Server 2008 R2 =RTM= (and I see no such post on the WindowsServer blog updating that 7/22/09 post), I see no authoritative information that indicates that anybody except an =OEM= is in possession of the product legally as of today (August 13th, 2009).

TOMORROW, the product is scheduled for availability on MSDN and Technet.
    On August 19th the product will be available to Gold or Certified Partners and Volume Licensing customers WITH Software Assurance agreements.
    On August 23rd the product will be available to Registered Partners with Microsoft Action Pack Subscriptions.

To the question, however.

YES.. WSUS3SP2 =RC= will install on Windows Server 2008 R2 =RC= -- and currently that is the only pre-release scenario that's available for discussions. Any discussions concerning the use of WSUS3SP2 =RC= should be directed to the WSUS3SP2 newsgroup on the Microsoft Connect website. Notwithstanding that it can be done -- it should also be noted that the INSTRUCTIONS on how to deploy that installation have not yet been published!!!  At a minimum it would require that the WSUS3SP2 package is published in the MU catalog (for not-yet-WSUS-enabled servers) or the WSUS catalog (for servers that have access to a WSUS server). Since PRE-release content is not generally published in the MU or WSUS catalog (IE8 and Windows 7 have been notable exceptions), it's no surprise to me at all that there might be issues installing WSUS3SP2 on Win2008R2!

Your decision to wait for the WSUS3SP2 =RTM= is highly commended. :-)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:49 PM

All replies

• When I go to server manager and try to install the Windows Server Update Services on Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM
    Correct.. WSUS3SP1 is *NOT* supported on Windows Server 2008 R2. (And how did you get an *RTM* copy before August 14th???).

For Windows Server 2008 R2 you will require WSUS v3 SP2, which is still a Release Candidate. You can get the RC bits from the Connect site.
    Monday, August 03, 2009 4:42 PM
  • I'm seeing this also on Windows 2008 R2 RTM.

RTM is out early on Volume Licensing ;-)

So, if there is no working, released version of WSUS for Windows 2008 R2, why on earth has it not been removed from Server Manager???

So this will probably start working when WSUS3 SP2 is released :-(

Regards,

Søren Fisker, MCSE, MCITP SA & EA
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Yes I downloaded and installed Server 2008 R2 as soon as it was available (legally that is!)
    I tried installing WSUS 3 SP2 beta and it seemed to work ok then I tried SCCM 2007 and that messed up WSUS as it kept trying to offer the SCCM07 client and then failing to install it so I have wiped off WSUS again for now.

I will install it again once the RTM is out.
    Robin Wilson
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:14 PM
  • > I'm seeing this also on Windows 2008 R2 RTM.

> RTM is out early on Volume Licensing ;-)

Hmm.. according to this blog post the ONLY places Win2008 R2 RTM should be available today are to =OEMs=.

http://blogs.technet.com/windowsserver/archive/2009/07/22/when-to-expect-windows-server-2008-r2-rtm.aspx

According to that post, Volume Licensing customers WITH SOFTWARE ASSURANCE will be able to download on August 19th -- five days AFTER the downloads are scheduled to be made available to MSDN and Technet subscribers (on August 14th)

> So, if there is no working, released version of WSUS for Windows 2008 R2, why on earth has it not been removed from Server Manager???

Think about that for a while. Why would they remove the code contained in KB940518 (which was actually included in Service Pack 2), just to accomodate the first couple of weeks of existence of a product?

WSUS3SP2 will be released shortly. When it is, you'll be able to install WSUS3SP2 on a Win2008R2 RTM system via Server Manager.

> So this will probably start working when WSUS3 SP2 is released :-(

Exactly. That's no secret -- it's been known since WSUS3SP2 was released as a beta product last January.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:38 PM
  • > Yes I downloaded and installed Server 2008 R2 as soon as it was available (legally that is!)

Unless there's a newer announcement posted since July 22nd, 2009, that has changed all of the availability dates for Windows Server 2008 R2 =RTM= (and I see no such post on the WindowsServer blog updating that 7/22/09 post), I see no authoritative information that indicates that anybody except an =OEM= is in possession of the product legally as of today (August 13th, 2009).

TOMORROW, the product is scheduled for availability on MSDN and Technet.
    On August 19th the product will be available to Gold or Certified Partners and Volume Licensing customers WITH Software Assurance agreements.
    On August 23rd the product will be available to Registered Partners with Microsoft Action Pack Subscriptions.

To the question, however.

YES.. WSUS3SP2 =RC= will install on Windows Server 2008 R2 =RC= -- and currently that is the only pre-release scenario that's available for discussions. Any discussions concerning the use of WSUS3SP2 =RC= should be directed to the WSUS3SP2 newsgroup on the Microsoft Connect website. Notwithstanding that it can be done -- it should also be noted that the INSTRUCTIONS on how to deploy that installation have not yet been published!!!  At a minimum it would require that the WSUS3SP2 package is published in the MU catalog (for not-yet-WSUS-enabled servers) or the WSUS catalog (for servers that have access to a WSUS server). Since PRE-release content is not generally published in the MU or WSUS catalog (IE8 and Windows 7 have been notable exceptions), it's no surprise to me at all that there might be issues installing WSUS3SP2 on Win2008R2!

Your decision to wait for the WSUS3SP2 =RTM= is highly commended. :-)

Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Lawrence,

I don't know about this blog post you're referring to, but all I know is that when I signed into my academic institution's Volume Licensing account two days ago, Server 2008 R2 was already showing up. It's been posted there as released on 2009-08-11 for the standard, enterprise, and datacenter versions. I'm not going to be downloading it for quite awhile (in Jordan, we only get 10 GB of downloads per month from our ISP, one of the reasons we switched to WSUS) but I would imagine that a lot of people have it already.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:43 AM