none
Hyper-V Manager RPC Error

Question

• Hi,

I'm having problems connecting to an instance of Hyper-V RTM running on Server Core via the Hyper-V Manager MMC snap-in (I've tried both x64 and x86 versions).  Every time I try to connect I get an error stating that:

"Cannot connect to the RPC service on computer <Hyper-V Server>. Make sure your RPC service is running."

I've tried reinstalling Hyper-V, disabling all firewalls, using the IP address to connect instead of FQDN, etc. all without success.  What's strange is that I've got no problems connecting to other MMCs remotely (such as Event Log Viewer, the Services console, Computer Management, etc.).  Also, both systems are in a domain environment which should rule out any authentication / permissions issues.

Unfortunately this issue has caused our Hyper-V deployment to grind to a halt as we can't connect to the Hyper-V instance to configure any VMs!  Any assistance anyone can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Friday, July 18, 2008 3:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Did you apply the Hyper-V RTM updates to your remote management PC?

if it is server 2008 then you install the Hyper-V patches.
    if it is Vista SP1 then you install the updates specific for the management packs.

John Howard lists them all in this post:
    http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/06/26/hyper-v-rtm-announcement-available-today-from-the-microsoft-download-centre.aspx

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Friday, July 18, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for your speedy response - we installed KB950050 on the Hyper-V server before doing ocsetup and installing the Hyper-V role.  I tried to run the update again after Hyper-V had been installed just to be certain we were all up to date and the setup program aborted stating that the update was not required so it looks as if we are indeed running the RTM version.

We didn't have any previous versions of the MMCs on the Vista SP1 machines prior to installing KB952627.
    Friday, July 18, 2008 3:53 PM
  • Have your users been granted Administrator rights on the Hyper-V server?

(I know you said, but just checking).

and you can get to the other services just fine...

..googling..

The RPC error seems to be common with Vista x86 and when both machines are not joined to the same domain / fully trusted domains.

Have you checked out this entire series of articles by John Howard:
    http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/04/01/part-4-domain-joined-environment-hyper-v-remote-management-you-do-not-have-the-requested-permission-to-complete-this-task-contact-the-administrator-of-the-authorization-policy-for-the-computer-computername.aspx

And, are you on the same network?  No firewalls, no co-location, no nothing in between the client and server?

• Proposed as answer by tangyal Wednesday, February 02, 2011 6:43 PM
    Friday, July 18, 2008 4:16 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Yes, the accounts being used have Administrator rights on both boxes.  We're not having any problems with other services.

The two boxes are not on the same network - they're separated by an ISA Server firewall which has RPC open from client machine -> Hyper-V server (and the necessary protocols in both directions between the domain controller and the Hyper-V server).  We did try opening it up to allow all protocols in both directions but we still got the same error message.  I did monitor the RPC traffic between the client and server machine using ISA's management console and saw that a number of requests on port 135 (endpoint mapper) were being made but after that no other requests using a dynamic port number were recorded.  I also didn't see any other traffic being blocked by ISA.  If my understanding of RPC is correct, shouldn't the Hyper-V server have returned a port number for the console to connect to and then the client would communicate using that new port number?  Could the problem be related to the fact that the Hyper-V server has not registered itself correctly with the RPC service on the Server Core machine (apologies if I've got this completely wrong - I'm just thinking out loud).

I saw John's article but my understanding was that it related to permissions for users who were not administrators on either box.  The first few paragraphs of his article show how connecting to the server remotely using a domain admin account works but this is not the case for us, we get the exact same error regardless of the user account used.

Thanks.

Friday, July 18, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Googling around I found issues similar to yours and the commonality was that the client and server were remote from each other (hosting center for example).

the Hyper-V console uses a compination of things.  WMI and RPC being the biggies.

for some reason I recall a posting about the ports....
    hmm..I found that - it is SCVMM specific.  Different communication under the hood.

Is it possible to get one on the other side of the ISA server so you can sniff the traffic at least?

the other option is that you make one Server Core a server Full just for management (or a VM).

At this pont I am hoping that an MSFT person will pick up on this and answer the 'what ports used' question
    Friday, July 18, 2008 4:51 PM
  • There's no single port that's used. This might be of some use since we use DCOM for WMI traffic - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms809327.aspx

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 1:54 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Mike,

I work with NJC1, and am assisting with the problem. Unfortunately the information you have provided above has not resolved our problem, so can we not have the post marked as answered.

I have been investigating further this morning, and still cannot see what could be causing the problem we are experiencing. Apart from the problem we are having with RPC, all traffic appears to be flowing well. The only thing I have added today is the correct reverse DNS entries on a DNS server, as these were not previously in place and I read another site that suggested that this could cause problems with RPC, however it has made no difference.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RJT01
    Monday, July 21, 2008 10:51 AM
  • Hi all,

We've tried putting the parent partition on the same subnet as the Vista SP1 machine running the Hyper-V Manager console (thus bypassing the ISA Server completely) but we're still getting the same error.

It looks increasingly like an issue with RPC on the Server Core installation - perhaps some interface which hasn't registered itself correctly?  I'll be logging this with Microsoft Support but if anyone has any other suggestions in the meantime please let me know.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:49 AM
  • Ah, I'm not alone with this one afterall!

I installed Hyper-V on Core (RTM all) at home a few weeks back and was using the remote console on Vista SP1 with no issues.  Last weekend I wanted to start doing some lab work on ConfigMgr 2007 R2 but this RPC issue ended that.  I reinstalled Hyper-V and reinstalled the remote console.

The console centre pain just tells me that RPC was unavailable.  I can manage Hyper-V itself but I can do nothing with the VM's on the machine because they're not visible.

There's no firewalls and no filtering of any kind on my network.  What's annoying me was that everything was working and then a week later it wasn't.  I didn't change anything on my network in that time.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:06 PM
  • Hi Joe,

I know you mentioned that there was no filtering in your setup but is the Vista SP1 machine on the same subnet as the Hyper-V parent partition?  Is the parent partition a member of the same domain as your client PC?  Another thing to check is that you can connect to WMI on the parent partition - I used wmimgmt.msc on the client to check this.
    Friday, July 25, 2008 10:17 AM
  • I have been working on a Similar issue this afternoon, and only just fixed it. I had the same RPC error with the Hyper-V Snapin on a Windows 2008 Standard Server, connecting to a 2008 Core Server running Hyper-V. Both of the servers were part of the same domain.

In my case the problem turned out to be DNS suffixes. I had to add the domain suffix to "append these dns suffixes (in order)" on the DNS tabe in tcp/ip advanced properties.

Might be worth giving it a shot?
    Friday, August 29, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

Today I sat with same problem. My configuration is very close to yours.
    After several tests I found that it was the password for one of the added remote user on the server.
    I just logged in using remote desktop and changed the password. Now everything works perfect.
    Thursday, July 09, 2009 12:42 PM
  • I had the same issue.  I resolved the problem by checking DNS.  Once the core server was added to DNS the problem was resolved.  This was misleading because the IP resolved from the management client side.
    • Proposed as answer by Dinesh Mervyn Sunday, November 29, 2009 4:08 PM
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Remote HYPER V MANAGER / HYPER V MMC Error " Cannot connect to the RPC service on computer '192.168.1.68'. Make sure your RPC service is running"
    Yes i too had the same RPC issue, when both Hyper-v-server and hyper-v manager was on the same domain, there is no issues at all but once the hyper-v server and client brought to the workgroup environment the issue starts, one of the solution is to edit your hosts file which is under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

add the following entry
    <IP address of the Hyper-v-server>    <Hyper-v-server name>

eg:
    192.168.1.68    HYPER-V-SERVER

This would simply sort the issue.

Good luck
    • Proposed as answer by Admonite Friday, May 07, 2010 9:45 PM
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Did you try another network card? May be some settings on network card prevent to connect to Hyper-v and with default settings will be ok. Do not change anything on new network card before you try connect to Hyper-v. Also Microsoft recommend 2 network cards in hyper-v (installed help)

"As a best practice, we recommend that you provide the physical computer with more than one physical network adapter. Use one physical network adapter to provide virtual machines with an external virtual network, including remote access to the virtual machines. Use the other network adapter for all network communications with the management operating system, including remote access to the Hyper-V role. The management operating system runs the Hyper-V role."
    Friday, February 05, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Thanks! That solved my problems.
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 6:34 PM
  • @ SirWili: can you tell me what did you do to solve your problems ?

1. Check the DNS

2. Check the hotfix

3. Reinstall Hyper-V Role

4. Other ?

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:33 AM
  • Host file entry worked for me too, cheers.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 11:33 AM
  • In my case the server was in a workgroup and the workstation was in a domain.

A hostfile entry on the workstation did it.

Friday, December 03, 2010 12:04 PM
  • Remote HYPER V MANAGER / HYPER V MMC Error " Cannot connect to the RPC service on computer '192.168.1.68'. Make sure your RPC service is running"
    Yes i too had the same RPC issue, when both Hyper-v-server and hyper-v manager was on the same domain, there is no issues at all but once the hyper-v server and client brought to the workgroup environment the issue starts, one of the solution is to edit your hosts file which is under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

add the following entry

eg:

Good luck

This worked like a charm!  Thank you sooooo much!!!
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:27 AM

add the following entry

eg:

Good luck

Ditto

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:44 AM

add the following entry

eg:

Good luck

Ditto

Same error. but didn't work for me! :( What else to try?
    Friday, October 07, 2011 6:10 AM

add the following entry

eg:

Good luck

This is apparently IMPORTANT in a workgroup configuration!!  I wasted 5 HOURS fighting the "Cannot connect to the RPC service..." because I *thought I was smart* by adding the host to DNS, but this apparently won't work when connecting Hyper-V Manager.  DNS resolves to the IP correctly and !everything! worked as expected using the FQDN: Windows Explorer, Computer Management, Server Management ... EXCEPT Hyper-V Manager.  Apparently, using Hyper-V Manager to "Connect to Server..." will NOT take a FQDN (and it won't take an IP address), it MUST be a hostname only!

A simple "you can't use a FQDN" message would have been *very* helpful!

I added the hostname and IP to the local hosts file and the successful connection was immediate.  Ugh.

• Proposed as answer by Yijen Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:04 AM
    Friday, December 02, 2011 6:22 PM
  • After using HVRemote tool to ensure that everything was properly setup in a Workgroup environment I got the error above and your solution fixed it.

I had almost given up on Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 and installed another product until a final search turned up the HVRemote tool. I would've saved a whole day of angst and hair pulling if I had just found it much earlier.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Yes, it MUST be a hostname only ~ thanks, it works for me.
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 5:05 AM
  • I too was having the same problem.  I found out that my user account password was expired, as I was working in a Workgroup, not a domain.  Once I logged into the computer as an administrator, then ran the following command, Hyper-V Manager immediately connected.

net user <user> <password>

Hope this helps someone.

• Proposed as answer by CeeKay256 Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:29 PM
    Sunday, July 01, 2012 9:49 PM
  • You've got to be kidding me - why on earth can't you connect with the IP address?
    I've been having the same error about the RPC Service as well!!

Thanks for the tip.

Friday, July 20, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Although it might not be obvious, I found that in my case, the time on the hyper-v server is not in sync with the domain. If you are able to log in the console of the hyper-v server, try do the following:

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update

w32tm /resync

Once the time is in sycn, the hyper-v server can be contact again.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:17 AM
  • I had the same error, do an NsLookup against your hyper V server and see if there is more than one entry - I had 2.  Once I fixed that to only one address the RPC error no longer occurred.
    • Proposed as answer by David_Sutton Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:09 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Broken Link .... answer is now useless.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:54 AM
  • LOL! Not only Vista, I'm having similar issues using the remote Hyper-V mgr. in Windows 8.1 .
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:06 PM
  • Not necessarily the core version, I've tried it also with 2012 Datacenter w/ GUI and it's the same issue.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:10 PM