none
File share security permissions on subfolders

Question

• Hello,
    I'm writing to ask a question regarding folders, files and subfolders security permissions. See example below.

I have AD security Group-A and this folders structure:

• Folder-A
    • Folder-A\SubFolder-A
    • Folder-A\SubFolder-B
    • Folder-A\SubFolder-C

Question:

How can I set security permissions to meet this requirements: users of Group-A should be able to read/write folders & files inside Folder-A but cannot delete SubFolder-A, SubFolder-B, SubFolder-C folders; but they need to read/write folders & files inside all SubFolder-<X>.

Thank you very much.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:36 AM

Answers

• Try this:

Give GroupA - Read&Write on FolderA, and apply to This folder, subfolders and files.

Then Give Deny Delete permission on SubfolderA,B and C with This Folder Only.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Luca Fabbri Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:01 PM
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 9:02 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

I recommend you go through this article once, which tells us more about share permissions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/277867

Regards, Ravikumar P

• Proposed as answer by Marius EneMVP Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:31 PM
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:21 AM
  • Hello,

In folder-A go to security, Advanced, Change Permissions, Uncheck Inherit permissions from parent obj, click remove. Now the permissions should be blank. Add for example Domain Users, and apply the following permissions.

After that click ok, a message will popup alerting you that you set deny permissions which override allow permissions. click ok until end. If you dont want to sepicify any deny permissions you can exclude them and make sure the 2 delete options are unchecked. Should work...

And have a look at the article Exrapul provided it will be a lot clearer.

Now you souldnt be able to delete the folders/subfolders....

MCTS - Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://mariusene.wordpress.com/

• Proposed as answer by Marius EneMVP Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Marius EneMVP Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:30 PM
    • Edited by Marius EneMVP Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by CoffeineNerd Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:35 PM
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:25 PM
  • Hello Marius,
    I tried your suggestion. It fires my request at 99%; it remains 1%: I cannot delete folders & files after I created them under the Folder-A.

As requested I need to read/write folders & files inside Folder-A but cannot delete SubFolder-A, SubFolder-B, SubFolder-C folders.

Thank you,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Add CREATOR OWNER - Full Control.

MCTS - Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://mariusene.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Hello,
    the Full Control for CREATOR OWNER doesn't work: if a member of Group-A tries to delete a folder created by another user (CREATOR OWNER) of same group he/she cannot.

Question:

Users of Group-A should be able to read/write (= read, modify, delete) folders & files inside Folder-A but cannot delete SubFolder-A, SubFolder-B, SubFolder-C folders; but they need to read/write folders & files inside all SubFolder-<X>.

Thank you very much.

• Edited by Luca Fabbri Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:24 AM
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:45 AM
  • Try this:

Give GroupA - Read&Write on FolderA, and apply to This folder, subfolders and files.

Then Give Deny Delete permission on SubfolderA,B and C with This Folder Only.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Luca Fabbri Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:01 PM
    Wednesday, June 06, 2012 9:02 AM