none
Another 2003 to 2008R2 printer migration question

Question

• So as I understand it, I have to do the following:

1) Using the new 2k8 (2008 R2) server, install the print services role

2) Connect to the old server from new server using the print management console and backup the printers and drivers to a file.  NOTE: If you already know all the print driver names and can install the 32 + 64 bit versions on your new server ahead of time, that will help with step 5.

3) Restore the backed up printers to the new server using the print management console - this gave us the 32 bit drivers and print queues from the old server onto the new server.  The issue was that now the new server didn't like any of the 32 bit drivers so I copied all of the files from the 32 bit server to the new 64 bit server's print directory

4) Using a windows 7 workstation - install the print management snap in on the windows 7 machine.  Connect to the old server and add all of the printers to your Windows 7 machine, installing the drivers as needed.

5) Connect to the new server using the Windows 7 machine and try to add all the printers to the new server, choosing to install the drivers as needed.

Now this all seems fine, but through the process of elimination (using Cscript prndrvr.vbs  -l > c:\PrintServerName.csv) I have found that I have 286 different driver names.  Does this mean that I am going to have to hand download 286 drivers and then go though each Queue (550+) and install the new drivers by hand before I do the 'backup and restore'?

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:15 PM

Answers

• That will be the deciding factor on moving to 64bit.  Most vendors now have a -global, universal, basic - 64bit driver as a substitute for older devices.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:34 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:04 PM
    Answerer
  • You will need matching named 64bit and 32bit print drivers on the new print server. 

Since you have done some reading I assume you are aware of the 2008 R2 feature known as print driver isolation and have read both print server migration guides available on Technet .  Enable print isolation through group policy before performing any restore.  If you need additional print related information head to the askperf blog http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/

If you have a 32bit print server which already has 64 and 32 bit print software installed, I suggest backing this up and restoring to the 2008 R2 machine.  If you have all the print drivers on the target print server for the devices and clients you wish to support, there is no need to backup any of the print drivers, just get printer information using the command line tool printbrm.exe and the -NOBIN option.  This is a nice way to not install the old version of the print drivers on the new server.

If you encounter any issues, add my name to the search criteria.  Most likely, I've already answered the question.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:19 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• First confirm if you actually need all the 32bit drivers.  You only need 32bit drivers to match the shared 64bit driver names when you have 32bit clients which will connect to the shares.

If there are 64bit drivers installed on your server that are not used by any shared printer, you might as well remove them.

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Alan.  I guess that shows me how little I actually know because I'm not really sure what you said there.  Most, not all, but most of our desktops will remain 32 bit for the forseeable future.

I still get the feeling however that I'm going to have to hand download 286 different drivers.

And I'm still not sure about the order of how to do what.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Rewording.  If the 32bit driver name does not match any 64bit driver you are using on the print server, remove the unused software.  If you have 64bit drivers on the print server that are not associated with any share, you can remove those too.

You can script the installation of the print drivers.  If you use the drivers provided with 2008 R2 and Windows 7, you will not need to download from the vendor site.

Use printui.exe or WMI interface script \windows\system32\printing_admin_scripts\en-us\prndrvr.vbs  (or your locale) .

The 32bit driver name must match the 64bit driver name.   Laser PS does not equal Laser PCL.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:17 PM
    Answerer
  • I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond, but I'm more confused than ever now.  Simply put, like others have stated, I have a several 2003 32 bit print servers.  I need to get the print queues to a 2008R2 64 bit (at least I think I do) server without impacting the 32 bit clients.

I've read the tech link and countless other opinions on the matter.  To me it appears there is no easy way to do this as there was between 2000 to 2003.

Sadly, I am no closer to understanding how to even begin this process than I was weeks again when I started my research.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:33 PM
  • You will need matching named 64bit and 32bit print drivers on the new print server. 

Since you have done some reading I assume you are aware of the 2008 R2 feature known as print driver isolation and have read both print server migration guides available on Technet .  Enable print isolation through group policy before performing any restore.  If you need additional print related information head to the askperf blog http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/

If you have a 32bit print server which already has 64 and 32 bit print software installed, I suggest backing this up and restoring to the 2008 R2 machine.  If you have all the print drivers on the target print server for the devices and clients you wish to support, there is no need to backup any of the print drivers, just get printer information using the command line tool printbrm.exe and the -NOBIN option.  This is a nice way to not install the old version of the print drivers on the new server.

If you encounter any issues, add my name to the search criteria.  Most likely, I've already answered the question.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:19 PM
    Answerer
  • I've read this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd379488(WS.10).aspx and this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722360.aspx from technet. 

The first just tells you what tool to use.  The second just reiterates what I was concerned about originally, "The source server must have print queue drivers installed for both the source and destination server architectures."

As I said in my first post, using Cscript prndrvr.vbs  -l > c:\PrintServerName.csv I have found that I have 286 different driver names (such as Driver name Dell 3333dn Laser MFP).  Because of what the second document says about "The source server must have print queue drivers installed for both the source and destination server architectures" it appears to me that I am going to have to find 286 different drivers, try to install them and then hope everything ports over using the tools listed in the first Doc.

Someone please stop me if my line of thinking is incorrect.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Okay, I'll stop you.

The source server must have print queue drivers installed for both the source and destination server architectures

Does your Server 2003 machine have the 286 drivers installed already?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:56 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes - it has 286 32-bit drivers on it. 

I guess I'm not being clear, I apologize.  Yes, I believe as you bolded and I quoted, The source server must have print queue drivers installed for both the source and destination server architectures.  So now I need 286 64-bit drivers on the source server installed.  And that is going to have to be done by hand - unless - I can connect via a 64-bit client to the source server and add the drivers.

Yes?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Since you do not have the 64 bit driver already installed on 2003 32bit, I'd preinstall the 64bit drivers onto 2008 R2 and perform the restore.

What I have experienced with HP drivers is renamed print processors with different versions of the drivers.  You will get the backup data with print driver version 2 FOO, Print Proc version 2 hppc002, but now you install 64bit print driver version 4 FOO, Print Proc version 4 hppc004  All the printer specific data in the backup references hppc002 and the 64bit version does not exist and the printer is not restored.

I guess the next question is, does the company that produces your print devices have 64bit software for all the devices you have purchased?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:51 PM
    Answerer
  • When I go through all 286, I'll find out.  LOL.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:22 PM
  • That will be the deciding factor on moving to 64bit.  Most vendors now have a -global, universal, basic - 64bit driver as a substitute for older devices.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:04 PM
    Answerer