none
How to install Windows 2008 R2 Storage Server

Question

• Maybe I'm confused, but here is my situation.  We are looking for a device that we can backup some of our hyper-V vm on our SAN to another storage device.  We received a quote from Dell for basically a R510 and Windows 2008 Storage Server.   I thought before we purchase it I would grab a copy from technet and install it on a test server with about 500GB of storage.   I installed windows 2008 R2 and then I was going to install the Windows 2008 R2 Storage Server and ISCSI software, but neither have a setup or install program in their iso files?  They are full of KBs.   Do I need to run every KB or what?

How do I install this product so I can see if it is something we want to purchase?

gazem
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:33 PM

Answers

• I installed KB976833 (SIS), rebooted and then ran a windows update afterwards.   I then ran iscsitargte.msi from the iSCSI iso.  It seems to be working ok for me. I was able to connect to a iSCSI vhd drive from my computer.   I'm trying to connect from the nodes in my cluster.  I can connect from the iSCSI initiator, but I never see the drive in disk management on one node.  The other nodes I see it.
    gazem
    • Marked as answer by gazem Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:06 PM
    Monday, May 09, 2011 6:08 PM

All replies

• Not sure about WSS 2008, but for 2003 WSS the only way to get the OS was from a hardware manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc) preloaded on the NAS.
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Hello gazem,

Jonpants is right. Windows Storage Server 2008 is vendor specified OS and it should be pre-loaded by hardware manufacturer.

Thanks and Regards
    Scorpio_Milo
    MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician
    MCITP: Server & Enterprise Administrator
    Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant
    Enterprise Service: Solution Architect
    Microsoft Storage Team - File Cabinet Blog
    My Blog
    Contact me

Friday, May 06, 2011 7:18 AM
  • Sorry for the answer but you may not able to get it without contect OEM manufacturer:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windowsserver2008/en/us/wss08.aspx

Windows Storage Server is an OEM-only product, which means Microsoft OEM partners package and offer Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 NAS appliances

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Friday, May 06, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Then why do they put it on technet?  I'm confused by that.
    gazem
    Friday, May 06, 2011 12:43 PM
  • You can use the Technet evaluation copy of the storage server. With the Windows 2008 R2 OS, you apply the KB updates. After the updates, it will be presenting itself as the Windows Storage Server 2008 R2.

If you just want to use iSCSI Target, you can download a release from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=45105d7f-8c6c-4666-a305-c8189062a0d0

This release will run on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Friday, May 06, 2011 6:15 PM
  • There is probably 40 t0 50, maybe more KBs. Do I just install them all?  Also, the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3 is included in the Technet download of Windows 2008 R2 Storage Server.

gazem
    Friday, May 06, 2011 6:51 PM
  • 1. Yes, you do need to install all the KBs

2. The iSCSI Target 3.3 is in the download package. From the link : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx?pv=18:370

Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Embedded (Standard, Enterprise, Workgroup) with iSCSI Software Target 3.3 (x64) - DVD (Multiple Languages)

3. Once again, if you just want to use iSCSI Target 3.3, you don't need the storage server SKU. The download link in the above post enables the iSCSI Target runs on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Friday, May 06, 2011 9:38 PM
  • I have the windows 2008 R2 Storage Server installed.  At least when it boots up that is what shows up on the screen, but I don't see anything under program files, administrative tools, or anywhere.  I have iSCSI 3.3 installed.  I do have a tool for that and  I was able to create a vhd and connect to it form my pc using the ISCSI initiator.
    gazem
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Hi gazem,

I'm a little confuse as i cannot confirm the exact thing you are looking for.

Jane provided the link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx?pv=18:370

As this one should be the system you are looking for:

Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Embedded (Standard, Enterprise, Workgroup) with iSCSI Software Target 3.3 (x64) - DVD (Multiple Languages)

It is Windows storage Server 2008 R2, with iscsi initiator software target 3.3, and you have iscsi initiator to create vhd and connect to other computer. So what's the trouble? There is no iscsi initiator?

Monday, May 09, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Hi headache,

I have also downloaded the system ISO file for Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 as you mentioned.

mu_windows_storage_server_2008_r2_embed_stand_ent_work_iscsi_software_target_3.3 _x64_dvd_587719.iso

However, I failed to boot the Windows PE with the ISO that I downloaded from MSDN download. I found the sting embed in the ISO file, and the size of the ISO is only around 950MB. I am just wondering if this ISO is Microsoft pre-defined for OEM to be customized.

Can anyone clearify this?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks and Regards
    Scorpio_Milo
    My Blog
    Contact me

Monday, May 09, 2011 9:24 AM
  • Scorpio_milo,

The Iso is not a bootable image. You will need the Windows 2008 R2 installation first, and then apply the patches in the iso to make it storage server and along with the features comes with the storage server.

Monday, May 09, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I installed KB976833 (SIS), rebooted and then ran a windows update afterwards.   I then ran iscsitargte.msi from the iSCSI iso.  It seems to be working ok for me. I was able to connect to a iSCSI vhd drive from my computer.   I'm trying to connect from the nodes in my cluster.  I can connect from the iSCSI initiator, but I never see the drive in disk management on one node.  The other nodes I see it.
    gazem
    • Marked as answer by gazem Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:06 PM
    Monday, May 09, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Scorpio_milo,

The Iso is not a bootable image. You will need the Windows 2008 R2 installation first, and then apply the patches in the iso to make it storage server and along with the features comes with the storage server.

Jane, thanks for your clearification. This make sense.
    Thanks and Regards
    Scorpio_Milo
    My Blog
    Contact me

Monday, May 09, 2011 10:14 PM
  • I also downloaded the eval from TechNet to install on a server with 2008 R2 already.

After running the EXE on the ISO to extract the files, I ran the Standard branding, SIS, and WebRDP.

When I go into install the KB updates in OS Update folder, all say not applicable.

Everything does indicate that the OS is WSS, but want to make sure it is fully/properly installed.

One of the features I want to test is Remote Web access.

Sorry to resurect....

Monday, February 18, 2013 5:20 PM