none
Is a server reboot needed when increasing non-interactive desktop heap by 256 KB or by 512 KB

Question

• hi

I need to increase the non-interactive desktop heap by 256 KB or by 512 KB due experiencing some strange problems like when running xp_cmdshell, (for example exe's stops being called properly and even basic ones stop working), the server tends to have to be rebooted to fix these in the past.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824422

Would anyone know if there a way to fully apply this fix without the need for a server reboot.
    eg could MSSQLSERVER Service be restarted instead of a server reboot to apply the changes.

The kb does not say if a server reboot is needed or not.

If anyone can reply before Saturday then I will love you forever (I'm in work tomorrow).

Cheers

Matthew

Ps I need to do this on SQL 2000 and 2005 Servers using Windows Server 2003.

• Edited by jmatty2000 Friday, March 02, 2012 4:36 PM
    • Moved by Tom Phillips Friday, March 02, 2012 4:52 PM Windows question (From:SQL Server Database Engine)
    Friday, March 02, 2012 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi you will not need a reboot. but i recommend to reboot the server after applying the fix as the previous running process still uses a heap of 256 K
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Agreed, you should at least restart the process.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, March 03, 2012 4:07 PM

All replies

• I do not believe this requires a reboot. 

However, this is really a Windows Server question, not a SQL question.  I will move this to the Windows forums.

Friday, March 02, 2012 4:52 PM
  • Hi you will not need a reboot. but i recommend to reboot the server after applying the fix as the previous running process still uses a heap of 256 K
    Saturday, March 03, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Agreed, you should at least restart the process.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, March 03, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Hi

Thanks guys for helping me. I increased the heap to 1024 exactly as per the MS KB article but I still found the same problem - When I run any exe using xp_cmdshell using sql query analyser is still just gave an output of NULL.

Not to worry, I've done this on 5 servers so far and rebooted them. I might just have to see how it goes for a while now.

Thanks again for your help

Matthew

Sunday, March 04, 2012 10:20 AM