none
Cannot print to local USB-connected printer when using Remote Desktop to connect 2008 R2 server

Question

• I have Windows 7 laptops and desktops.  We have a couple of applications running on a Windows 2008R2 server.  When in remote desktop mode, we can print to a network HP printer without a problem. However, we can't seem to print to any local USB-connected HP printers. The USB-connected printer appears available, and redirection appears to be working, but when you print to that printer nothing happens. There's no error message, it just acts as though it sent the job successfully.  I see from the forums that many people have run into this problem.  Any solutions?
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 5:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you installed RD Session Host role in the target server?  

Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2008 R2 supports redirection of some additional supported Plug and Play devices. However, there are many devices which are not covered by these redirections, such as scanners, multifunction printers, webcams, and more.

Ensure that the spooler service is running on both the client and Server.

Please also check the firewall & ports between target server and client.

Print Spooler

The Print Spooler system service manages all local and network print queues and controls all print jobs. Print Spooler is the center of the Windows printing subsystem. It manages the print queues on the system and communicates with printer drivers and input/output (I/O) components, such as the USB port and the TCP/IP protocol suite.

System service name: Spooler

Collapse this tableExpand this table

Application protocol

Protocol

Ports

NetBIOS Datagram Service

UDP

NetBIOS Name Resolution

UDP

NetBIOS Session Service

TCP

SMB

TCP

Note The Spooler service uses RPC over named pipes. This service has the same firewall requirements as those of the "File and Printer Sharing" feature.

More information:

Make Local Devices and Resources Available in a Remote Session

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770631.aspx

Technology changes life……
    Monday, September 12, 2011 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you installed RD Session Host role in the target server?  

Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2008 R2 supports redirection of some additional supported Plug and Play devices. However, there are many devices which are not covered by these redirections, such as scanners, multifunction printers, webcams, and more.

Ensure that the spooler service is running on both the client and Server.

Please also check the firewall & ports between target server and client.

Print Spooler

The Print Spooler system service manages all local and network print queues and controls all print jobs. Print Spooler is the center of the Windows printing subsystem. It manages the print queues on the system and communicates with printer drivers and input/output (I/O) components, such as the USB port and the TCP/IP protocol suite.

System service name: Spooler

Collapse this tableExpand this table

Application protocol

Protocol

Ports

NetBIOS Datagram Service

UDP

NetBIOS Name Resolution

UDP

NetBIOS Session Service

TCP

SMB

TCP

Note The Spooler service uses RPC over named pipes. This service has the same firewall requirements as those of the "File and Printer Sharing" feature.

More information:

Make Local Devices and Resources Available in a Remote Session

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770631.aspx

Technology changes life……
    Monday, September 12, 2011 9:45 AM
  • You may try the steps in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968605/EN-US, it works for me.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:06 AM

• Printing to a local Windows 7 or Windows XP  printer while initiating a Remote Desktop  logging into a remote host Host

1. Unfortunately Remote Desktop by default will only display printers configured on serial and parallel ports, below is a work around I have personally found works.
    2. When you setup the Remote Desktop configuration be sure you click the Tab labeled Local Resources and at the bottom of the screen, see Local Devices and resources make sure that Printers and Clipboard are selected.
    3. Make the Local Printer you wish to print to on the machine initiating the Remote Desktop the default printer and be sure you can print to it (I have found this even works with shared networked printers)
    4. Install proper printer driver at the  Host End  (The site you're logging onto)  that matches the printer on the remote end (The end you’re initiating the Remote Desktop from). When you 1st install this printer on the Host End just select LPT1 as the port for now.
    5. On the Host end go to Devices and Printer and select the printer you  plan to print to, Click on printer properties, Select ports look for port labeled TS001, this should be the default printer on your local Remote Computer, Check this port and run a print test. (Unfortunately these TS??? Ports aren’t described by the operating system, the 3 systems I have checked this out on the port was labeled TS001 which was my default printer on the end initiating the remote desktop, but it certainly could be different on your system so it might take some trial and error to select the proper port.)
    • Proposed as answer by SteveDahl Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:28 PM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:28 PM
  • I had trouble getting this to work. It finally worked after I

1. connect using Remote Desktop Connection.

2. installed my local printer on the remote computer (using LPT3 as the port and Windows Update to find the driver),

3. log off RDC.

4. log back on using RDC. The local printer is now the default printer for the RDC session.

5. (optional) delete the printer that was added in 2. above (but the drivers will still be installed on the remote computer)

Gordon Prince * (901) 761-3393

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:39 AM