none
IP Conflict on Static IP of Member Server

Question

• Where to start.  At our site the Firewall blew up.  Ok it is changed, a Fortigate 50b again, and the Engineer of Fortigate implemented it.  It seems to work.  There are two servers and the DC/ Fileserver seem to work ok.  The Webserver however, which has two LAN cards with the IP’s (don't ask why it was there when I started to take care of this system)

192.xxx.xxx.77 which is connected through the Public IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from outside and the second LAN Card with IP 192.xxx.xxx.78 is connected through the Public IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 

First no PC’s had any connectivity to the DC and Internet and after a long time I worked out that the ESED NOD AntiVirus blocked it.  So now all PC’s can connect to the Internet again and access the File Server.  The problem now is the member server.  If I look at the animation of the LAN connection both IP’s .77 and .78 are saying acquiring IP even  as said there are set to static IP.  I cannot ping them or anything with this IP’s.  If I set these IP’s I get also the error Duplicate IP.  Funny enough, if I change the settings to aquire IP or I give it another IP say .150 then there is no problem.  However, nothing in DNS shows that there is another PC with this IP and to my best knowledge there is also no other device with these IP’s

It used to work until the change of firewall but it definatly is a Serer Problem

BTW IP config is:

Member Server

LAN1

IP:             192.168.0.51

Subnet:     255.25.255.0

Gateway:  192.168.0.5 (Firewall)

DNS:          192.168.0.1

LAN2

IP:             192.168.0.52

DC

LAN1

IP:             192.168.0.1

Thursday, August 05, 2010 3:15 PM

Answers

•   You should not have a server with two NICs which have IP addresses in the same IP subnet. Are you sure that the message isn't telling you that there are two IP addresses for the same computer name?

Disable one of the NICs in the server or use NIC teaming (software supplied by the NIC hardware manufacturer) so that the server has only one IP.

Bill
    Friday, August 06, 2010 5:46 AM