none
Installing Windows Server 2012 RC Remote Desktop (ISSUE)

Question

• Installing the RD Host Service doesn't work and I get several errors. Any Hints?

Saturday, June 02, 2012 8:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Make sure all necessary services are enable. (i.e. you can check the  Server Manager->Dashboard to see if any errors or warnings exist in the panel).

Please try to uninstall all of Remote Desktop services, then deploy these roles again to see if the same issue still exists.

Technology changes life……

Friday, June 08, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

Don't know what to do different, because te only steps made are:

1) Installing WS2012 RC on Machine. Changed to static local IP, change the machine name to TESTSERVER
    2) Drivers (NIC, ATK, Graphics Card) and Turned of all Firewall things and some basic GPEDIT.MSC setting, like changed the Locked Internet Zones
    3) Installing ADS functionality
    4) Promote to domain TEST.INTRANET (func. level 2008 R2)
    5) Installed the Remote Desktop Services

I used the same (hardware) machine successfully with 2008 R2 before, so I think Server 2012 RC is still to buggy on the Remote Desktop Host Services....

Did the above install steps with little differences about 3 times, but without any success. 

Same error again.

Saturday, June 09, 2012 7:53 AM
  • Have you checked the Remote Desktop Management service is running on the connection broker machine?

Have you also checked the firewall is open to allow RDM traffic?

As a quick test, if the RDM service is confirmed as running, disable the firewall on the connection broker machine and try again.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 3:51 PM
  • No firewall (all disabled), but RDM service does not start (no useful information in de event logs - compilation of event records):

The Remote Desktop Management service failed to start. Error code: 0x88250001

The Remote Desktop Management service terminated with the following service-specific error: Invalid handle

The WinRM service failed to create the following SPNs: WSMAN/TESTSERVER.TEST.INTRANET; WSMAN/TESTSERVER. Additional Data The error received was 1355: %%1355. User Action the SPNs can be created by an administrator using setspn.exe utility.

Monday, June 11, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same error, I can't start RDMS and broker.

Did you find a solution ?

Saturday, June 16, 2012 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

I have exactly the same error, I can't start RDMS and broker.

Did you find a solution ?

Maybe it is related to (not tested) msn forum

Saturday, June 16, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Has anyone resolved this issue? RDMS won't start for me either with an almost identical environment as Applegate described above.
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:01 PM
  • I have fixed the Broker error:

If you go to the start menu and open up the broker control panel,your going to need to manually configure it,

On the other hand,for RDMS, it shows up for me as:

It starts then stops.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:34 AM
  • You really should not install RDS on a Domain Controller, even though you may eventually get it to work.  Please see the Understand and Troubleshoot Guides for more information on how RDS technologies have changed in Windows Server 2012 and how to setup deployments.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7532.understand-and-troubleshoot-windows-server.aspx

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:20 PM
  • You cannot be serious. I approached your Microsoft "Gold certified" software partner 'Cancom Germany' with the following requirement:

- Need a Windows 2012 "Terminal Server"

- for 15 client devices

- currently no AD or other Windows servers installed

What do I get sold:

- Windows Server 2012

- 15 Device CALs

- 15 RDS device CALs

and the information that I need to setup AD and the RDS roles. So far so good.But I run into these error messages when setting up the RDS roles.

Now you are telling me that I need another server running just for the AD? Which I do not need for anything except for the internal requirement of the RDS services?

Please elaborate a bit more on the way to get it work on the same machine or suggest another solution (btw buying another license for the AD server is not a solution).

Saturday, February 09, 2013 12:17 PM
  • I'm having the same issue.

What's odd and what I'm struggling with is that the RDP worked up until the end of the license grace period.  With licenses installed it won't work.  this is a situation I walked into post-deployment, someone else, so I might be missing something critical.  

Friday, April 19, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Talking to myself here now...

In my situation there is a 2008 Server that was planned to be removed.  Anyone know if it can act as the license server for 2012?  I took a look at installing the licenses and, of course, it doesn't offer to accept 2012 licenses, but it seems to me there ought to be a way of doing something like this.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:05 PM
  • Did you enable remote management (3 settings) on advanced firewall? There are a couple of com+ settings too, but I'm not completely sure if they are required to be enabled.

Is this a hardware install or a virtual install? Regardless, can you ping the server from the device that you are using to connect with? Virtual installs can be a little messy if the entire network is virtual.

DNS needs to be installed on the server.

If a virtual network and on virtualbox, you need two Ethernet controllers: 1 for NAT and 1 for intranet. DNS wants to use the NAT addresses. You have to override them with APIPA addresses from virtualbox. 

If the virtual network uses the main network, you still need DNS on the server, and all devices need to point to it as the primary dns server with the router address as the secondary DNS server.

Beware that using your router DHCP can mess up the network occasionally. If a test environment, you might have to reboot your router occasionally to clean up the confusion, after removing the server devices.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:56 PM
  • That actually would be sufficient if you use Hyper-V virtualization. Windows Server 2012 Standard allows you to install it as a Hyper-V Virtual Host, and then twice more as virtual guests. You should research how to do this properly, but you would have the host doing nothing but Hyper-V virtualization, one guest as the domain controller, and the other for RDS. I hope you have this worked out by now, though. Anyone else who is interested, though, should research virtualization.

I'm not advocating using Hyper-V, by the way, nor am I advocating against it. Do your own research and decide.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:54 PM
  • You cannot be serious. I approached your Microsoft "Gold certified" software partner 'Cancom Germany' with the following requirement:

- Need a Windows 2012 "Terminal Server"

- for 15 client devices

- currently no AD or other Windows servers installed

What do I get sold:

- Windows Server 2012

- 15 Device CALs

- 15 RDS device CALs

and the information that I need to setup AD and the RDS roles. So far so good.But I run into these error messages when setting up the RDS roles.

Now you are telling me that I need another server running just for the AD? Which I do not need for anything except for the internal requirement of the RDS services?

Please elaborate a bit more on the way to get it work on the same machine or suggest another solution (btw buying another license for the AD server is not a solution).

Totally agree with you. buying extra server just for AD or broker frustrated me. but I found a patch here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2799605

I don't know if it is too late, but hope it can help others

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:45 PM