none
what product key do I need for standard edition server 2008

Question

• About 2 months ago I downloaded server 2008 standard edition as a trial. I use it at home for practice. I have 5 computers attached to the server.  The trial period is coming to an end but not sure how to get or what product code I need to continue using server 2008. Any help would be great
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:30 PM

Answers

• You can run msinfo32 to see the OS version, build and type. Although this conversion is not blocked, we do not support an upgrade from an evaluation version to a full version or changing the product key to a full version key. To upgrade to a full version, you must install non-evaluation media. If you change the product key to Full Version, the visual evaluation references in Winver and as displayed in Slmgr /DLV output are removed, but the WLMS service remains on the system and the media retains its evaluation status.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2021579

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:58 PM
  • Hello, 

Logon to the server and run below command to get OS details including product code.

wmic product where "name LIKE '%windows%'" get * /format:textvaluelist

Once you get product code contact licensing team.

for OS Licensing:

Regards, Ravikumar P

Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:59 PM

All replies

• You can run msinfo32 to see the OS version, build and type. Although this conversion is not blocked, we do not support an upgrade from an evaluation version to a full version or changing the product key to a full version key. To upgrade to a full version, you must install non-evaluation media. If you change the product key to Full Version, the visual evaluation references in Winver and as displayed in Slmgr /DLV output are removed, but the WLMS service remains on the system and the media retains its evaluation status.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2021579

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:58 PM
  • Hello, 

Logon to the server and run below command to get OS details including product code.

wmic product where "name LIKE '%windows%'" get * /format:textvaluelist

Once you get product code contact licensing team.

for OS Licensing:

Regards, Ravikumar P

Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:59 PM