none
cannot access VM's from the host OS

Question

• I have a number of VM's running win server 2012 on a host running Windows 8 (its a lab environment).

One of the VM's is a domain controller, and the rest of the vm's are on the domain run from that domain controller.

The host is not on a domain.

I cannot access any of the VM's from remote desktop on the host. I thought you could always access VM's from a host via remote desktop.

Any ideas on how i might resolve this?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:19 PM

Answers

• I didnt specifically create the bridge for any reason. The bridge gets created automatically, when in hyper v switch manager I select external network and "allow management operating system to share this adapter" , as can be seen in the first image I posted in this thread.

I've not seen that behavior.  I've got several Win8 installs and none created a bridge automatically.

Anyway, add the IP to the Lab NIC for RDP connectivity.

• Marked as answer by winstonSmith Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:33 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:46 AM
  • I would agree. There is no bridge created when a virtual switch is created. I would clean up your networking and start over... I think it's too muddy right now. Once that is complete, add an IP to the vEthernet(Lab) and you'll be good to go.
    • Marked as answer by winstonSmith Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:34 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:10 AM

All replies

• Can you ping your VM? Can you share VM-hosted content via SMB and access it from host?

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:21 PM
  • When you say "access", what do you mean? Are you using Hyper-V manager? Are you trying to access the over the network?
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:21 PM
  • By "access" i mean if i open Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) from the host and enter the VM name (tried FQDN also) the VM cannot be accessed.

VM cannot be pinged from host either.

Host is not pingable from the VM either.

I cant find the location to set up SMB on server 2012 but il see if i can test that.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:40 PM
  • You can always access a VM through the Hyper-V mgmt console, RDP requires a working network connection between the host and VMs.  

What have you set up for the Virtual Switch in the Hyper-V Manager?  

Do your VMs get their TCP info from the same place the host does?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:45 PM
  • yea i can use hyperV manager. window sizes are more customizable via mstsc.exe (remote desktop) though.

the virtual switch settings are shown below. 
    I tried setting it as "External Network", and selecting the NIC but when i do the host loses web access.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Have you given the host an IP on the lab network?
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:57 PM
  • no, host doesnt have an IP from the lab network. didnt think i needed to. i didnt think the host had to be on the domain with the VM's it hosts to be able to access them via remote desktop.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Yes, RDP still uses the network. When you created that LAB virtual switch as an INTERNAL NETWORK it created a virtual network adapter for your host that you'll find with your other NIC's. Once you add an IP to the virtual adapter that corresponds to your LAB network, you should be good to go.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:10 PM
  • Yes, RDP still uses the network. When you created that LAB virtual switch and checked the box that says "allow management operating system to share this network adapter", it created a virtual network adapter for your host that you'll find with your other NIC's. Once you add an IP to the virtual adapter that corresponds to your LAB network, you should be good to go.
    I just tried that and it didnt work. and i still lose my web access when i select external and "allow managment operating system to share this network adapter".
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:30 PM
  • Sorry that was a poor explanation. Reread my edit. You need the internal network's virtual adapter to have an IP address on your lab network.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Thanks Ted, no apologies necessary, im not very good at this networking stuff so i do need it dumbed down quite a bit.

I tried your suggestion but along with losing web access again, i still couldnt access the VM's via RDP. I set the static IP vEthernet(Lab) adapter (the one set up for the VM's).

Below is a screenshot of my adapters. In the vswitch i couldnt select the vEthernet(lab) network as one of the networks that it can access computers on.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:11 PM
  • Was that Network Bridge something you created manually?
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:25 PM
  • What are you using the bridge for?

The IP address you need to add to the host is on the vEthernet(Lab) adapter.  It should be a unique IP in the same subnet as the VMs.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:49 PM
  • What are you using the bridge for?

The IP address you need to add to the host is on the vEthernet(Lab) adapter.  It should be a unique IP in the same subnet as the VMs.

I didnt specifically create the bridge for any reason. The bridge gets created automatically, when in hyper v switch manager I select external network and "allow management operating system to share this adapter" , as can be seen in the first image I posted in this thread.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10:02 PM

• I didnt specifically create the bridge for any reason. The bridge gets created automatically, when in hyper v switch manager I select external network and "allow management operating system to share this adapter" , as can be seen in the first image I posted in this thread.

I've not seen that behavior.  I've got several Win8 installs and none created a bridge automatically.

Anyway, add the IP to the Lab NIC for RDP connectivity.

• Marked as answer by winstonSmith Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:33 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:46 AM
  • I would agree. There is no bridge created when a virtual switch is created. I would clean up your networking and start over... I think it's too muddy right now. Once that is complete, add an IP to the vEthernet(Lab) and you'll be good to go.
    • Marked as answer by winstonSmith Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:34 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:10 AM
  • Steve, Ted, thanks for your help, I can now RDP into my VM's from my host even though my host is not on the same domain as the VM's! Thanks for your help!

I ended up having to delete all the virtual switches and recreating them. after that, and assigning an IP to the VNIC it worked. Note the vNIC and wifiNic are still bridged as previously.

One thing that doesnt work still is i cant access the web from my VM's. any ideas on if thats even possible in this case?

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:33 PM
  • Microsoft domain's don't really matter when you're using TCP/IP for connectivity.

Since your VMs aren't using an external network, you won't be able to get outside of the host PC.

You're using an internal network, which means it is internal to that host, there is no external communications without some way of routing the IP traffic through the host's NIC that is connected to a network that can see the internet.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:11 PM