none
How to Increase pass-through disk?

Question

• Hi experts,
    I have an VM Windows Server 2003 in Hyper-V Cluster. This VM has two pass-through disks. I need to increase by one of the disks in 300GB. How to proceed? Just increase the size of the disk storage and then use diskpart in VM? I don't need take any action on the host Hyper-v?
    Tks.

MCITP|Enterprise Administrator

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can perform the following steps:

1. Extend the LUN size on the storage device, such as a SAN.
    2. Within the virtual machine, open Disk Management, you will be able to see the unallocated disk space, extend the disk.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:45 AM
  • The host does not mount the LUN therefore it never needs to recognize that hte LUN size changed in any way by the underlying storage.

And, as was also mentioned - it partly depends on the storage you are passing through and how it is presented and 'who' is managing it.  It is local storage (to the host) or is it remote storage (to the host).

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:51 PM

All replies

• Hello AMNoronha,

Shut down the VM. Go to disk manager. You can increase the disk from the storage. On the host Refresh Disk Manager and extend disk.

It should work .

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:12 PM
  • Hi

No, you don"t need to take any action on the host. Just increase the size of the storage disk, with the vm shuted down. then start the vm and increase the siez of the disk with disk manager or diskpart

best regards

Raynald CHAFFAUX Consultant Virtualisation Nelite North Africa

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Hi,

You can perform the following steps:

1. Extend the LUN size on the storage device, such as a SAN.
    2. Within the virtual machine, open Disk Management, you will be able to see the unallocated disk space, extend the disk.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:45 AM
  • Raynald and Vincent,

I had this before , sometimes Host does not refresh automatically the extended LUN.

If Host does not recognize extended SAN disk, how can a VM understand that the passthrough disk was extended?

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately, I didn’t have your issue. General speaking, you will be able to see the unallocated disk space in the virtual machine after you extend the disk space on the SAN.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:05 AM
  • Hi Murat,

I think it depend of the type of connexion (FC/SAS/iSCSI) but I didn't have this type of issue. Maybe with an iSCSI connxeion you have to refresh the connexion with "Microsoft iSCSI Manager".

Best regards

Raynald CHAFFAUX Consultant Virtualisation Nelite North Africa

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:48 AM
  • The host does not mount the LUN therefore it never needs to recognize that hte LUN size changed in any way by the underlying storage.

And, as was also mentioned - it partly depends on the storage you are passing through and how it is presented and 'who' is managing it.  It is local storage (to the host) or is it remote storage (to the host).

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 3:51 PM
  • It worked perfectly.

Tks all.

MCITP|Enterprise Administrator

Friday, June 08, 2012 1:25 PM