none
dhcp migration from windows 2003 to 2008

Question

• We have 5 DHCP server running in windows 2003 32 bit platform

Now, I'm start migrating by exporting and importing the scope to the new server

when I noticed the (reservation) of IP is not including in the edport data

Becuase when i import to windows 2008 I don't see the IP reservation

My strategies is

a.  Export the per scope of the DHCP (e.g 192.168.100.x) inlcuding the IP reservation

b. Import the per scope to the new DHCP windows 2008 server 64 bit

Please advise if I missed some details why is not showing the IP resevation  in the new server

can you provide me a step if possible if I missed some info .

Thanks in advance

Monday, April 16, 2012 12:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

>a. Export the per scope of the DHCP (e.g 192.168.100.x) inlcuding the IP reservation

>b. Import the per scope to the new DHCP windows 2008 server 64 bit

May I know how did we export/import a dedicate DHCP scope ? which commands did we perform ?

Base on my testing, we can migrate the reservation entries of that scope with no problem by command “netsh dhcp server export/import” .

Could we redo that with following the methods that described in the articles Sachin posted ?

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by help.me Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:16 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:02 AM

• In addition Tiger Li suggestion, you can check this wiki article.

To migrate a DHCP reservation list without having to migrate the entire scope.

Export the DHCP reservations, from the Old server which is to be migrated using netsh: 

netsh dhcp server [ip address] scope [scope address] dump>c:\temp\reservations.txt

Example:

netsh dhcp server 192.168.100.10 scope 192.168.100.0 dump>c:\DHCPDump\DHCPReserv.txt

Edit the exported file in notepad 'DHCPReserv.txt', Simply do a Find and Replace for the Windows Servers 2003 DHCP server IP you ran the export on and change to the Windows Server 2008 DHCP server IP you are importing to and remove out everything else in the text file except for the reservations config section.

On the Windows Server 2008 DHCP server, make sure you create the new scope first, and ten just simply run the following command:
    netsh exec c:\DHCPDump\DHCPReserv.txt

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Tiger Li Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tiger Li Friday, April 20, 2012 8:51 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

>a. Export the per scope of the DHCP (e.g 192.168.100.x) inlcuding the IP reservation

>b. Import the per scope to the new DHCP windows 2008 server 64 bit

May I know how did we export/import a dedicate DHCP scope ? which commands did we perform ?

Base on my testing, we can migrate the reservation entries of that scope with no problem by command “netsh dhcp server export/import” .

Could we redo that with following the methods that described in the articles Sachin posted ?

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

• Marked as answer by help.me Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:16 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:02 AM

• In addition Tiger Li suggestion, you can check this wiki article.

To migrate a DHCP reservation list without having to migrate the entire scope.

Export the DHCP reservations, from the Old server which is to be migrated using netsh: 

netsh dhcp server [ip address] scope [scope address] dump>c:\temp\reservations.txt

Example:

netsh dhcp server 192.168.100.10 scope 192.168.100.0 dump>c:\DHCPDump\DHCPReserv.txt

Edit the exported file in notepad 'DHCPReserv.txt', Simply do a Find and Replace for the Windows Servers 2003 DHCP server IP you ran the export on and change to the Windows Server 2008 DHCP server IP you are importing to and remove out everything else in the text file except for the reservations config section.

On the Windows Server 2008 DHCP server, make sure you create the new scope first, and ten just simply run the following command:
    netsh exec c:\DHCPDump\DHCPReserv.txt

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Tiger Li Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tiger Li Friday, April 20, 2012 8:51 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Hi 

I'm getting the same issues, not successful when uploading the dhcp and per scope  the "RESERVATION IP" is not inlcuded .. I did the below option

anybody can enlighten me what wrong ?

From windows 2003  32 bit  to windows 2008 64 bit R2

Option 1:  (entire database)

netsh dhcp server import c:\dhcpdatabase.dat all

netsh dhcp server export c:\dhcpdatabase.dat all

Option 2:  (specific scope)

netsh dhcp server export c:\55.dat 172.24.55.0

netsh dhcp server import c:\55.dat 172.24.55.0

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:47 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for update.

So could we also try the workaround about exporting configurations to a dump file and executing it at destination server which provided by MyousufAli and see if these reservation entries will be migrated properly ?

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Hi

How can I export the reservation per scope , can you send me exact command ..

to make it easier from my side

thanks in adavnce

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:10 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for update.

Commands to add these entries could be found form the dump file that generated by the command in MYousufAli’s reply.

Meanwhile, we have a utility will help to do that :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2006/09/19/dhcp-reservation-tool.aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:45 AM
  • Thanks for the guy's
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:16 PM