none
Hyper-v Role in Windows Server 2012 foundation and Essentials

Question

• Hello,

I have seen that the two low cost version of Windows Server 2012 essential and Foundation) will not support hyper-v. Can you please tell me what it means exactly :

Can you please tell me what is possible :

-The server can not be installed as a hyper-v  guest (probably yes)

-The hyper-v role can not be installed on the server (so I have to rely on vmware)?

- Hyper-v role can be installed but there is no free license included with the server.

Thank you

Marc

Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• The hyper-v role can not be installed on the server

Bob Lin, MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on

http://www.ChicagoTech.net

How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

http://www.howtonetworking.com

• Marked as answer by Marc Allard Monday, November 05, 2012 5:14 AM
    Monday, November 05, 2012 2:52 AM
  • Thank you

Marc

Monday, November 05, 2012 5:14 AM
  • I suppose then, you would have to install Windows 8 and Hyper-V as your guest or core.
    Then run your Server 2012 Foundation under Win8.  which has 512GB Memory Limit.

It seems asinine that you cannot install this role on Foundation, but seemingly you could work around it with Win8.  (Or Sun Virtual Box (free) (or VmWare(Free).

So load up a dozen Win8Pro virutal sessions on that Win8 VirtualBox with up to 512GB Memory and Create your own Ghetto Remote Desktop Server with Foundation and Windows 8.   ;)

What good is it if your can't run Hyper-V and Remote desktop services?  Those are the two apps small business need most.  But Microsoft strips it out, calls it a DEAL  (Essentials and Foundation) , yet if you want the good stuff, you're gonna have to buy Server 2012 Standard anyhow, + the CALs.

So you are hooked into this "deal" by Microsoft Special Offer.   Its special alright, because you get to buy it twice.  The stripped down version that come with your server, then the full version when you discover Foundatoin and Essentials gives you AD, and thats it.  Nothing Else.  No "deal"

Remember:

All you get with Foundation or Essentials is AD and Group Policy.

You cannot load RDP on Foundation or Essentials
    You cannot load Exchange on a DC, or Foundation or Essentials
    You cannot load Exchange and RDP on the same box.
    You cannot have Remote Web Apps if you load RDP on your DC.
    You cannot win with Microsoft.  No worthwhile "deal" has ever come out of the city of Redmond.
    The internet is a one-way money pipeline to Microsoft.
    Its three times the work, three times the cost and requires three servers licenses to do with 2012, what you could do with one 2008R2 license.  

Might as well purchase 2 Server 2013 Standard Editions if you want:
    1.) Active Directory
    2.) Remote Desktop and Remote Apps
    3.) Your own Exchange Server

You are better off installing a NAS if all you need is a file server. 

Why bother with Foundation or Essentials?  Its a "Gimmick-ware"

Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:43 PM
  •   There are a lot of people who would disagree with you. You have made the common assumption that, because it does not fit your needs, it doesn't have a use for anyone. Most Foundation users have no knowledge of Hyper-V and no use for it.

It is of no use to me either, but that doesn't make it useless.

Bill

Monday, August 05, 2013 2:50 AM