none
LTO-5 backups on a Windows 7 home PC

General discussion

• Hello,

I have recently bought a LTO-5 drive on eBay, a deal too good to pass up, thinking I could use it to backup my home PCs, and NAS.  My NAS contains a large library of media which I would like to backup.

It seems that after I bought the drive, that nearly all of the backup software (not included) and drivers (Server 2003 & 2008) are for Windows Server environments.  I believe, though can not yet confirm, that Windows 7 should innately be able to operate the drive, which leave the question of backup software.  Is there any software that can do this?

Soon I will be able to test the drive to see if indeed it is recognized by Windows 7, which entails installing a PCIe 8x to external SAS interface card.  I'm going to test on a friend's PC to see if this will work, as my PCs have no PCIe slots.

I should point out that my NAS is not truly a full fledged server running Microsoft Server OS.  It is made by Synology corp.  The shared folders are seen as Network shared drive in Windows XP. 

I have had poor success in the past in working with drive images, and proprietary backup formats.  Even the ability to write files manually to the tapes would be mission accomplished in my book.  I understand that I would need the Professional version of Windows 7 in order to make backups of networked drives, though I do not know if these can be made to LTO-5 media.

Any Advice appreciated!

RH

Monday, November 01, 2010 3:36 PM

All replies

• Update-

Seems that there are some folks running my drive (Dell Powervault LTO-5 140) on a Windows 7 machine.  Furthermore, installation CD/DVD that came with it, indicates Windows 7 as an option under the drivers section (and appears there is nothing to install).

Software wise, after further internet searching, there may be a program called Uranium Backup, which has a PRO TAPE version that supposedly works will all tape formats.

Would be nice if someone could verify who might already be using this or a similar setup.

Thanks!

RH

Monday, November 01, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Tape drives are not supported on Windows 7 Backup.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, December 31, 2010 6:06 AM
  • Obviously, which is why I posed the question.

I still have not found the "optimal" solution, however, I can tell you that the deal too good to pass up on eBay for the Dell LTO-5 drive + 10 blank tapes + HBA SAS PCIx card & cable was still a great deal.

Win 7 has native drivers for the card. 

As Sankalp points out, Windows 7 Backup does not support tape drives.

Novastor has a backup solution for tape, though somewhat expensive.  Also, found UraniumBackup supports tape drives in Win 7.

Bottom line is that it CAN be done, just not with Windows 7 built-in backup.  How hard could this have been to include I ask.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 1:39 AM
  • Hi Richard,

From my own experiences with Windows Server 2008 R2, the Data Prptection Manager software is normally used for advanced backup features.  This is typically added via the "Add Server Roles" diakog  under Configuration Manager. There *may* be some service you can enable on Windows 7 to do this, but I would be highly surprised if it exists.  If it does, it would only be found on Enterprise or Ultimate edition.

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Funny, I just got a LTO-5 drive and am running into the same issues. 

1. No native tape support (knew this going in, but doesn't mean I like it...bad microsoft. bad.)

2. (as of 1/6/2012) Uranium Backup does NOT span tapes, which makes it a non-starter for me.

I did run a couple backups that didn't exceed a single tape, and it succeeded.  I did not try to restore the data and compare.

The drive came with a license for Backup-Exec, but it wants a server OS, which none of my boxes have at the moment.  I guess I can always load one of them with SBS or 2008 Server (yup, I have licenses for 'em)

I'll check out Novastor, and even perhaps linux.

Linux will certainly do bare metal backups (Live CD on each machine and taring /dev/sdc.  Not pretty, but I know it'll work.

Saturday, January 07, 2012 7:18 AM
  • http://www.amanda.org/
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Richard, I have a similar problem. Did you ever get your tape drive working?
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Hi, Just got tandbergs LTO5 tape drive (It has a windows 7 driver) and interfaced it with the card you were referring to on Windows 7. Everything seems fine in device manager and it also passed the I/O test that comes with Tandbergs diagnostics tool. But question is how can I view/read/write data on the tape drive? Regards
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Hi again,

Yup got every thing working with Uranium Backup but its not free.

Regards

Thursday, February 09, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Which interface was it, SCSI or SAS?
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 10:11 AM
  • Hi AAhmedS:

Can you provide a little more detail about your solution (which Tandberg tape drive model and which interface card)?  Are you happy with your setup?  I've been looking into backup solutions lately and it seems that LTO5 is the way to go (I have several terrabytes of data to back up).

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:25 AM
  • We use LTO-5 HP drive with Windows 7 as the backup host machine.

Windows 7 does support the devices/drives, but as mentioned above, there is no included app such as NT Backup to get the job done.

We use Retrospect Pro - http://www.retrospect.com

It supports
    - backup sets
    - spanning tapes
    - system recovery (even client/server backup schemes.)

Though I'm a little worried that somehow the product support/updates might stop.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Hayling, just out of interest, what type of host bus adaptor are you using: SCSI/SAS? And what make and model?

I've only seen Win7 x64 drivers available for the Adaptec series, e.g. the 29320LPE.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:48 AM
  • Just an update for anyone who's curious...

I ended up purchasing an IBM TS2250 tape drive along with an LSI LSISAS921204i4e host bus adapter for my home PC running Windows 7 64-bit on a Maximus IV Extreme-Z motherboard.  Since my backup needs are very simple, I decided to use IBM's implementation of the Linear Tape File System (LTFS) as a backup solution.

So far, I'm very pleased with the setup.  It's been very much plug and play.

Simply install the HBA onto the motherboard, install the HBA driver, and then install LTFS and you're ready to go.

With LTFS I'm able to treat the tape drive as if it were a hard disk drive.  I simply drag and drop files onto the tape drive icon to back them up.

If you're looking for a very simple out-of-the-box solution, I highly recommend LTFS.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:28 AM
  • Thanks for the info DavidH, but I see LTFS only supports LTO5 and above. Rules my LTO4 out  :-(
    Sunday, April 08, 2012 7:20 PM
  • i also planning to do same as above, i want ask you that can i use LTFS formatted tape for Uranium Backup software or Symantec backup exec or other backup software?
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:42 AM