Cannot edit hosts file in Server 2008

Question

• I am attempting to edit the hosts file on my server running Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise. When I attempt to save the changes I keep getting the msg "you do not have the permission to save to this location..." I check the permissions to see that TrustedInstaller owned the folder and files. I attempted the same process after making the local Administrators group and my own user account owner of the folder and setting Full Control, both changes yielded the same results. What am I doing wrong here? This is my first 2008 server, someone please help....
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:34 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the repsonses. I should have noted that I did try this after opening Notepad with "run as Administrator", which is strange it didnt work seeing as my account is a domain admin. I finally got it to work only after logging in with the local Administrator account. I'm not to please with 2008 right now...

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, May 31, 2010 6:07 AM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:17 PM

All replies

• As a quick work-around, save the updated copy to the desktop.  Then drag the file from the desktop to the ./drivers/etc location.  The system will prompt you for elevation of permissions.  Click OK, the file will overwrite the old HOSTS file.
    Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Try open Notepad in elevated mode (right click run as) then open the Hosts file from Notepad. 

Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Thanks for the repsonses. I should have noted that I did try this after opening Notepad with "run as Administrator", which is strange it didnt work seeing as my account is a domain admin. I finally got it to work only after logging in with the local Administrator account. I'm not to please with 2008 right now...

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, May 31, 2010 6:07 AM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Hi cdubb

Have you tried Jorge Mederos's suggestion ,relpace the hosts file with the updated copy under domain admins account?

Have you set any user's or machine 's policy ?

Also please check whether the doamin admins group is still a menber of local adminstrators group.

I was tested Santhosh Sivarajan's suggestion and it worked

1、Open Notepad with Administrative privileges by clicking Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then right-click Notepad and select to open as Administrator.
    2、Now that Notepad is open with Administrative privileges browse to (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc) in Notepad and open the hosts file.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:16 AM