none
SERVER 2008 r2 LOG ON BACK GROUND

Question

• Is there a way to change the logoin back ground in SERVER 2008 r2 LOG ON BACK GROUND  that works I have found several refrences on the internet but none of them seem to work

Saturday, January 02, 2010 4:38 PM

Answers

• There is a a policy setting which applies to Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 systems.

Access the local policy by running GPEDIT.MSC.

Navigate to the following:

Local computer policy
    --> Computer Configuration
    ----> Administrative Templates
    ------> System
    --------> Logon

Always Use custom logon background

Ignores Windows Logon Background.

This policy setting may be used to make Windows give preference to a custom logon background. If you enable this policy setting, the logon screen will always attempt to load a custom background instead of the Windows-branded logon background. If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Windows will use the default Windows logon background or custom background.

Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Hi,

The policy "Always Use custom logon background" set the registry OEMBackground.

You still need place a background picture in %windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds folder. For detailed information, please refer to the following article: 

http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/03/15/windows-7-to-officially-support-logon-ui-background-customization/

Thanks.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:36 AM

All replies

• There is a a policy setting which applies to Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 systems.

Access the local policy by running GPEDIT.MSC.

Navigate to the following:

Local computer policy
    --> Computer Configuration
    ----> Administrative Templates
    ------> System
    --------> Logon

Always Use custom logon background

Ignores Windows Logon Background.

This policy setting may be used to make Windows give preference to a custom logon background. If you enable this policy setting, the logon screen will always attempt to load a custom background instead of the Windows-branded logon background. If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Windows will use the default Windows logon background or custom background.

Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Great is there a way to ad a custom log on back ground image
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:45 PM
  • I enabled this setting but I still get the swirly gray windows log on
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Hi,

The policy "Always Use custom logon background" set the registry OEMBackground.

You still need place a background picture in %windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds folder. For detailed information, please refer to the following article: 

http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/03/15/windows-7-to-officially-support-logon-ui-background-customization/

Thanks.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:36 AM
  • How to Set Windows 7’s Login Wallpaper with Group Policies

http://mikecrowley.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/how-to-set-windows-7s-login-wallpaper-with-group-policies/

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Hi,<o:p></o:p>

We have a
    environment where we installed windows 2008 R2 and citrix XenApp. We published
    Server Destkop with windows 7 look and feel. Users will get windows 7 theme
    inside the session. But when the system is locked by them and still it displays
    "Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise" message in logon background with
    blue color wallpaper. I want to custom messgae instead of displaying Windows
    Server 2008 R2 and even wallpaper. I know how to change logon background but it
    only changes for the console and it wont show when we use the machine remotely.
    Below are the images. first image is default image with windows 2008 R2 message
    and i want to name it as Windows 7 like the second image. i just created the
    image to show you but how can i rename it there ? <o:p></o:p>

Bhaskar

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you & it worked great but can u also tell me how can i change the logon background for the users who logs in remotely? in console its already changed but when the users logs in remotely it still shows boring color background wallpaper.

Bhaskar

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:52 AM
  • Per this thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/22601506-f39f-46a1-ae18-8111d65d1c2f

it cannot be changed, however the reason they state is because its within a DLL.  as we saw with the above, DLLs can be changed, however I don't know how to change this one.

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Thank you for your information

Bhaskar

Friday, June 29, 2012 4:49 AM