none
Cannot RDP into PC

Question

• Hey everyone!

Alright, this is my first question i'm asking here so bear with me. Here is what I have:

I have a windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Hyper-V running. Hyper-V has 4 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machines running on it. These 4 have custom ports set for RDP so I can remote in anywhere and have access to all of my files and what not. The ports I have set are all opened in my firewall. Now the problem comes in when i restart one of the virtual computers. I will be able to RDP in but after restart I cant. I have to restart it some 10 more times and test it every time until i get it working.

It doesn't seem to make a difference if I am inside or outside of my network. If i try locally and with the IP address I have no luck. And yes, the Windows 7 machines all have static IPs. Im clueless, any help?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Mason Moesch

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:07 AM

Answers

• can you telnet?

(example)

telnet servername 3389

If not make sure that Remote Desktop Services service is started (server side) and that the required ports are open thru any firewalls.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by masonmoesch Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:30 AM

All replies

• can you telnet?

(example)

telnet servername 3389

If not make sure that Remote Desktop Services service is started (server side) and that the required ports are open thru any firewalls.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by masonmoesch Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:30 AM
  • Have you opened the firewall on both the Hyper-V host and the Win7 VMs?

Does your switch have any special MAC or IP restrictions?  Can you access them via RDP from the Hyper-V host?

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Hi,

What’s the error message when you establish RDP connection?

Check “Remote Desktop” settings, which option did you select? Have these Hyper-V guest VMs joined to domain?

Control Panel--> System --> Remote Settings --> Remote Desktop --> check the selected option and post it.

> These 4 have custom ports set for RDP

Which ports do you use, check firewall make sure these ports are allowed. You can also disable firewall to verify whether it is blocked by firewall.

Check that and give us feedback for further troubleshooting, for more information please refers to following MS articles:

Troubleshooting RDP Client connection problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186645
    Remote Desktop Services: Troubleshooting
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404143(v=WS.10).aspx

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Thank you! It was the remote desktop service. It was set to manual, when i set it to automatic all was good. Thanks again!
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:13 AM
  • Good news! You're welcome.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:15 AM