none
PING : Transmit Failed. General failure

Question

• In windows 7 (64-bit), I am send ping -6 message from one system to another system with in LAN using IPv6. ping message is not send. But i got one error message PING: transmit failed. General failure.
    Friday, July 01, 2011 12:49 PM

Answers

• Here's what you just said: "it's broke, how do I fix it"?

For us to properly have any idea of how to help you we need a lot more details beside "it doesn't work".

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Friday, July 01, 2011 2:22 PM

All replies

• Here's what you just said: "it's broke, how do I fix it"?

For us to properly have any idea of how to help you we need a lot more details beside "it doesn't work".

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Friday, July 01, 2011 2:22 PM
  • That's real nice Jason - PKSKPM actually gave the full error message - your response is quite a bit unfair.

In any case, I had this exact same problem and discovered the fix.  I had a router on my LAN where all the computers had this error.  The router was running DHCPv6 and the computers all had what LOOKED like proper IPv6 addresses and gateways.  You would think, from looking at the config, that it should work, but the above error was still coming up any time I tried to ping or traceroute on IPv6. 

The fix?  I configured and enabled radvd (router advertisement) on the router.  Suddenly the computers all started happily speaking IPv6.  I hope that works for you too.

Dave

Once more into the breach, dear friends.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:17 PM
  • I had the same problem and enabling "Managed" Router Advertisements on my PFSense (2.0 IPv6 RC) firewall fixed the problem. I am running DHCPv6 via MS DNS but that service alone does not seem to be enough for a Windows box to find its way to the Internet (or even IPv6 hosts on the same network).

I am fairly new to IPv6 so I'm sure there is something I am missing in the DHCPv6 configuration that would make this work. Strangely I cannot see where to configure the gateway so perhaps it is meant to work alongside RA.

I noticed that before this started working I had 2 IPv6 IP's on my Win7 box:
    > Link Local
    > Ipv6 Address

Now that it is working I have:
    > Link Local
    > Temporary IPv6 Address
    > Ipv6 Address

The temporary IPv6 address is within the same /64 as the IPv6 address. When I had DHCPv6 enabled on PFSense (prior to using MSDNS) my Win7 box's IPv6 worked just dandy and also had 3 different IPv6 addresses....

Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:23 AM
  • Yes, RA provides the gateway in IPv6. DHCPv6 is only meant for a handful of items not including the gateway. IPv6 was designed to be very dynamic enabling systems to easily roam and be auto configured without any user or administrator intervention based solely on the actual network configuration -- having a static gateway isn't very dynamic though.
    Jason | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/members/jasonsandys/ | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:48 PM
  • @Jason Sandys: Here's what you just said: "You are dumb.  I am smart.  I don't read minds, so tell me what the answer is so I can give it to you."  Clearly an undeserving "answered" question.

Perhaps a checklist of items/outputs from PKSKPM's computer so a direction could be given?

My guess is you spend a lot of time posting in forums, and using another ID to mark your answers as correct for points.

Sad - Deduct 40,000 points for the cocky reply, and the failure to see it and correct it.

• Proposed as answer by Rab Hallett Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:17 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:02 PM