none
windows server 2008 R2 - Expending current Logical volume Problem

Question

• Dear Support,

Currently we have 3 partition - C drive: 60GB, D drive: 100.10 GB, E drive: 1702.86 GB. We are facing a problem while expending current logical volume which is E: drive (1702.86 GB). Currently, we have 2TB of harddisk space with RAID5 (Hardware RAID).
    We need to expend this volume by adding 2 TB of new harddisk. After adding the harddsik to RAID 5 array, we can see total of 4 TB. But, we can see 2 unallocated space (185.04 GB and 1677.93 GB). We can only expend our E: drive to 185.04 GB. But, cannot expend and cannot use 1677.93 GB.

We know that we cannot use more than 2 TB in basic disk. Is it possible to solve it if we convert dynamic disk ?

Any suggestion for this problem. What will be the best way to solve the problem.

For your information,

OS - windows server 2008 R2 (64bits)
    Memory - 4GB

Thanks

TMS

Friday, April 19, 2013 2:06 AM

All replies

• The clean solution is to delete all volumes on the RAID5, convert into GPT and restore the Volumes. Then the 2TB limitation is gone.

Unclean is to convert the disk with 3rd Part Software (e.g. gparted) with the data on it. I converted disks successful. Do a fullbackup before and check it! 

best regards,

Philipp

Meine Antwort war hilfreich? dann freue ich mich über eine Bewertung. If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!

Friday, April 19, 2013 8:53 AM
  • Thanks for you helpful information. We would like to clear that if we use 3rd Part Software (gparted), can we expand E: drive to both unallocated space (185.04 GB and 1677.93 GB)?

Thank you,

TMS

Saturday, April 20, 2013 12:28 AM
  • Dear Support,

If we choose clean solution, can you provide me a detail guidelines to convert GPT.

TMS

Monday, April 22, 2013 7:49 AM
  • Dear TMS,

Could you show a screen captured of the disk management? 

Thanks and best regards, Kim Seng This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, April 22, 2013 8:08 AM
  • you can use the disk part to extend the partitions. This will works on both basic and dynamic disks

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590?wa=wsignin1.0

http://www.arabitpro.com

Monday, April 22, 2013 8:08 AM
  • If we choose clean solution, can you provide me a detail guidelines to convert GPT.

Go to disk management, first you need to initialize the desired disk and then format to use it. Select GPT during disk initialization and you are good to go.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Monday, April 22, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Monday, April 22, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Dear TMS,

From the screen captured, 185.04GB is in the middle of  E drive and 1677.93GB. LOL. And you intend to take over 1677.93GB as per your thread. Mmh..

If this is what you want, you will need to enable Disk 0 as "Dynamic Disk" which will alows you to take over 1677.93GB HDD.

Can I ask if there is a need for the 185.04Gb unallocated HDD? If there is no purpose, can you try to absorb it into 1677.93GB. After you have merge the before, try to expend disk from Drive E by right click on Drive E using Disk management, And it should allow you to cover all the HDD. 

Thanks and best regards, Kim Seng This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, April 22, 2013 9:37 AM
  • you will need to enable Disk 0 as "Dynamic Disk" which will alows you to take over 1677.93GB HDD.

OS will not boot if Disk 0 will be converted to Dynamic Partition.

To merge unallocated partition, Format 185 GB partition as primary partition, give a drive letter, then expand 1677 GB.

Thanks !

Monday, April 22, 2013 10:09 AM
  • Thanks Kim Seng and K Seeker.

Our customer want to expand E drive (where their shared folders contain) to newly added 2 TB unallocated space.

Questions

1. Why it is split into 2 unallocated space after adding new hard disks to existing RAID 5.

2. Is it possible to use more than 2 TB size in basic disk or dynamic disk? Please, provide us best solution.

FYI, If we right click on 1677.93GB space, all options are dim except properties.

We need your help ASAP.

TMS

Monday, April 22, 2013 12:22 PM
  • Questions

1. Why it is split into 2 unallocated space after adding new hard disks to existing RAID 5.

2. Is it possible to use more than 2 TB size in basic disk or dynamic disk? Please, provide us best solution.

1. The reason why it is split into 2 unallocated space is because, basic HDD can only support 4 partitions, 3 primary and 1 extended. And a maximum disk size of 2TB.  Thus, it is unable to recognize the 1677393GB. Do refer to MS Technet article below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773268(v=ws.10).aspx

The exact clause as below:

Basic disks use the same disk structures as those used in Microsoft® Windows NT® version 4.0 and Windows 2000. When you use basic disks, you are limited to creating four primary partitions per physical disk, or three primary partitions and one extended partition that can contain multiple logical drives. Primary partitions and logical drives on basic disks are known as basic volumes. As shown in Table 1.2, basic volumes are limited to 2 TB. Even if you create multiple volumes on a single logical unit, the combined size of all those volumes cannot exceed 2 TB. If you want to use volumes larger than 2 TB, you must use dynamic spanned, striped, or RAID-5 volumes.

Dynamic disks, which offer features not available in basic disks, were introduced in Windows 2000. Dynamic disks contain dynamic volumes, including simple volumes, spanned volumes, striped volumes, mirrored volumes, and RAID-5 volumes. Dynamic disks offer greater flexibility for volume management because they use a hidden database, instead of the disk’s partition table, to track information about dynamic volumes on the disk and about other dynamic disks in the server. This flexibility allows you to create spanned, striped (RAID-0), and RAID-5 volumes that exceed the 2-TB size limit of basic volumes. Simple and mirrored volumes cannot exceed 2 TB.

It applies to Windows 2008.

Thus when you right click the partition of 1677.93GB, you can only see properties.

2. As above, the only way for you now is to convert Disk 0 to Dynamic HDD. But do note that this disk 0 is also contain OS, thus, there will be disk IOPs issue as HDD needs to update themselves from basic disk to dynamic HDD and also recognize the new partition.

After converting it to Dynamic HDD, do use extend partition so as to extend E drive.

*Remember it would be better to get downtime. And also do a backup of the current System*

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:56 AM
  • Kim Seng, thank you so much for detail info.

We are going to apply this solution soon. We will update the result.

Thank you

TMS

• Edited by tmssupport1 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:19 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:06 PM
  • Kim Seng

After converting to dynamic drive, existing partitions (C:, D: and E:) will become simple volumes.

"This flexibility allows you to create spanned, striped (RAID-0), and RAID-5 volumes that exceed the 2-TB size limit of basic volumes. Simple and mirrored volumes cannot exceed 2 TB."

So, if this is true, is it possible to extend E: drive (will become simple volume after converting dynamic drive).?

Thank you

TMS

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:55 AM
  • After converting to dynamic drive, existing partitions (C:, D: and E:) will become simple volumes.

"This flexibility allows you to create spanned, striped (RAID-0), and RAID-5 volumes that exceed the 2-TB size limit of basic volumes. Simple and mirrored volumes cannot exceed 2 TB."

So, if this is true, is it possible to extend E: drive (will become simple volume after converting dynamic drive).?

Dear TMS,

I have read again the link, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773268(v=ws.10).aspx

I refer to the information below:

Use dynamic disks if:

• You want to create RAID-0 volumes or fault-tolerant volumes (RAID-1 or RAID-5) and the server does not contain hardware RAID.
    • You want to combine logical units (LUNs) in a RAID array to create a volume larger than 2 TB.
    • You want to extend a volume, but the underlying hardware cannot dynamically increase the size of LUNs, or the hardware has reached its maximum LUN size.

Can i confirm that you have confirmed that you have convert the disk from basic to dynamic? When you do a right click on the Drive E, are you able to extend?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Can i confirm that you have confirmed that you have convert the disk from basic to dynamic? When you do a right click on the Drive E, are you able to extend?

When you right click on E and the options is there then I guess you should be able to extend, if extend is grayed out then it's not possible.

Every second counts..make use of it.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:31 AM
  • Dear Kim Seng,

As you see in the disk management photo, this is basic disk.

Yes, We are able to extend when right click on the Drive E. But, can extend maximum of 185.04 GB.

Thank you

TMS

• Edited by tmssupport1 Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:31 AM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:15 AM
  • Dear TMS,

As per previous response, you will need to convert the disk from Basic to Dynamic disk. And after changing, you will need to use extend Drive E to the 2 unallocated drive.

But do note that in my previous response, backup your server and have a downtime for this.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Dear support,

After carefully find out the solutions for this issue, we finally plan to apply the following steps.

1. Backup the server

2. Reconfigure RAID Array and create 2 logical drives. The first one being of 2 TB or less, and second one with the remaining space.

3. Restore OS on the first logical drives.

4. From disk management, convert the second logical drive to GPT disk (which allow more than 2 TB of size)

5. Restore E: Drive to second logical disk.

Any suggestion for these steps.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Dear support,

After carefully find out the solutions for this issue, we finally plan to apply the following steps.

1. Backup the server

2. Reconfigure RAID Array and create 2 logical drives. The first one being of 2 TB or less, and second one with the remaining space.

3. Restore OS on the first logical drives.

4. From disk management, convert the second logical drive to GPT disk (which allow more than 2 TB of size)

5. Restore E: Drive to second logical disk.

Any suggestion for these steps.

Dear TMS,

It seems that I have missed this. is this done? And is it working as expected?

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:05 AM