none
Windows 7 Backup fails at 6% before creating Shadow copy with error 0x80070002

Question

• Backup to a network share had been working successfully since I installed Windows 7 x64. Sunday 22nd backup failed with error code 0x800070002 at 6% when creating Shadow backup copy. I have searched all threads with this error code but nothing appears to work.

So far I have:
    Created new backup schedules/schemes all fail

Checked the registry for additional profiles which are not linked to ProfileImagePath there are none.

Turned off system restore points and deleted old ones.

Deleted backup schedule from task scheduler.

And selective startup.

Nothing so far has worked, I've spent over three hours trying to fault diagnose this problem. I sent an email to Microsoft Online Customer Service with the response
    Thank you for your email about issues with Windows® 7.

I am concerned to hear that backup schedule doesn’t get starts on your
    computer and you get an error code 0x80070002. I do not have the
    technical expertise to advice on this issue. However I am glad to inform
    you that there are number of ways that you can obtain technical
    information from our support team.

Which took a day for this answer!

I consider myself fairly computer savy, but this problem has got me really beat. Apart from a complete wipe and reload (which I really can't face) can anybody help, please.

Thanks in advance

Nat

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Nat,

Regret the inconvenience caused. This error could occur due to a number of reasons. Could you zip and send across the etl files from <SystemDrive>\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup to sneham_at_microsoft_dot_com (Remove underscores and replace words with symbols wherever applicable)? Will help identify the exact cause of failure.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:40 AM
  • Received the logs. Investigating

-Sneha
    [MSFT]

Friday, November 27, 2009 5:49 AM
  • Hi,
      I too have the same problem.  The error is further identified as  "Specified file does not exist"  I00040011 when the system image backup is tried from Acronis utility (sorry - but I had to try this way as Win 7 isn't playing at all).
    Logically if the said file doesn't exist there's no way that further deletions of things like profiles could be of any help at all - as recommended elsewhere on this site.
    Is there any way to identify what the missing file is, and how to put it back where it belongs?
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 7:20 PM
  • I Have the same problem.
    Beim Sichern der Datei "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Eigene Dateien D" ist ein Problem aufgetreten. Fehler: (Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. (0x80070002))

Tried all stuff allready, recommended in this and other forums without any success.
    Any idea what i could do else? NackUp is very important for me, as all business files and programms are on tjis notebook.
    Thanks
    Peter
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

The issue was with the customer's machine configuration. He had a software called Grub2 which is a GUI based bootloader. The customer has confirmed that the issue got solved when he removed this software.

@ein adler
    Your issue is different. Please note that your backup has succeeded but skipped files. Please look at this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/52d70cd1-5ddb-4b85-9099-fdef5aae0102 for more details.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:20 AM
  • Hi,

The issue was with the customer's machine configuration. He had a software called Grub2 which is a GUI based bootloader. The customer has confirmed that the issue got solved when he removed this software.

@ein adler
    Your issue is different. Please note that your backup has succeeded but skipped files. Please look at this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/52d70cd1-5ddb-4b85-9099-fdef5aae0102 for more details.

Thanks,
    Sneha

OK
    Friday, December 04, 2009 12:17 PM
  • Hi - it's me again,
                            still no change after having replaced my Windows 7 Home premium with Windows 7 Ultimate, "clean" installation.
    Right back to basics, and a build up of "benign" and workaday applications from discs.
    Absolutely no third party "System cleaners, editors, or registry doodads" included this time round - all just simply Windows 7 Ultimate.
    Still the same error 0x80070002 - File not found.
    The *.etl log file - that people want to read can be read via the Event viewer - Windows will "interpret" it to a friendly view on request.
    So I looked - and here's what I found:-
    2 logfiles (two attempts to backup) - each around 5 Mb of lines marked i (information) and each with the very same end result :-

FileLine

Function

GUID=84dbb6cf-ba67-46f4-15c4-19a5a6482c22 (No Format Information found).

And that's it - at least as far as my situatiuon is concerned - so I would be extremely grateful to find out where this "Format information" could possibly be, how to insert it in the correct place and get on with a trouble free backup process as simply as Windows 7 professes to be able to do the job.
    Now - before someone asks if my External HDD is the correct NTFS format - Yes it is - and it's a split new Seagate just out of the box and working on all cylinders too!
    Friday, December 04, 2009 1:52 PM
  • After receiving a response from someone from microsoft from another thread here on the forum, I just sent this information to them about an issue that I found.  Once I fixed this file ownership issue that I discovered, my backups started working.  Hopefully others might find this info helpful.

--
    Andy

Sandeep and Sriram,

I believe I have identified the problem.  While I was experimenting with backing up very small selections of files, I noticed a pattern. I saw that I had some files where the owner was set to...

S-1-5-21-3501919420-2257534439-3808422982-500

...instead of an actual username.  From the command prompt, executing "dir /q" showed the file to be owned by NT Service\TrustedInstaller.

Whenever I attempt to backup a directory containing even one single file owned by that user, the backup fails.  I then went through all of the files that I wanted to back up and made sure the ownership was set correctly and started a backup, including a system image.  It successfully backed up about 2GB of data.

The common element that I noticed was that all of the files with this ownership problem were files that were *already* on the hard drive before I installed Windows 7.  I have a Dell E5500 laptop purchased in August of this year that came preloaded with Windows XP Pro.  I received the Windows 7 Upgrade CD from Dell and installed it a couple of weeks ago.  Since Windows 7 cannot upgrade Windows XP, I obviously had to do the full install of Windows 7.  It seems like any file that was already on the hard drive that was not touched by the Windows 7 upgrade (for example, my C:\Intel\ folder containing a few files related to my video card) has this ownership issue.

Hopefully this information is helpful to you.  Let me know if I can provide any more details.

--
    Andy Harrison

Friday, December 04, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Hi once again,
                        further to my previous post I tried a backup - yet again - but to the DVD this time.   Just Users' files etc.
    And guess what - it worked fine.
    It took a much longer time though.
    This information doesn't however solve the problem associated with backing up to an external hard drive does it?
    So what's the difference between an external HDD and an internal DVD drive? 
    Are you there Microsoft ?

Friday, December 04, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Hi Old Codger,

Since your issue is not the same as the one in this thread, it will be good if you could start a separate thread with this issue so that we can address it.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Hi Sneha,

I am also victim of the Windows 7 Backup 0x80070002 error message when trying to backup to a network location (NAS). I checked the registry for invalid profiles, ran chkdsk /R and even gave a shot to KB947821, all at no avail.

I have forced file ownership to myself to make sure this wasn't the problem, still no go.

I have 2 systems, a win7 64-bit laptop on which the backup works fine and a win7 32-bit desktop machine, which is the system causing trouble.
    Both are clean installs, and both are using the same backup destination (same folder on NAS).

I also tried using a different network location as backup destination, still no go.

I did not try KB976972 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972), as my system only has 2GB of RAM, and is USB is provided by Intel ICH7, not nVidia chipset. Moreover, I am not trying to save to a USB disk, but to a network location.

I am now down to running very simple test of backupping a single folder with only a few files in it, and I keep getting the same 0x8007002 error.

Please help!
    • Edited by _lmc_ Monday, January 25, 2010 3:46 PM fix bogus URL
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Hi _lmc_,

Regret the inconvenience caused. The different causes for 80070002 error that we have seen so far are:
    1. USB controller issue for target connected via USB (Not an issue in your case)
    2. Machine has a dual boot configuration with Linux and uses Grub2 bootloader. 
    3. Backup happens to a network target over a wireless connection with disconnects.
    4. Snapshot on the source volume gets deleted while the backup is in progress due to very little shadow copy storage area on the source. Type 'vssadmin list shadowstorage' from an elevated command prompt and have a look at the Maximum shadow copy storage space for the source volume included.
    5. The source volume has disk errors (which is most probably not your scenario since running chkdsk has not solved the problem for you)

Can you take a look at which of the above fits your setup? I can help you with an appropriate workaround then.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Items 1, 2, 3 & 5 do not apply to me, so I guess that leaves only 4 as an option.

Here is what 'vssadmin list shadowstorage' tells me:

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin list shadowstorage
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Shadow Copy Storage association
       For volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{c6241be6-8552-11de-bf43-806e6f6e6963}\
       Shadow Copy Storage volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{c6241be6-8552-11de-bf43-806e6f6e6963}\
       Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 9.571 GB (1%)
       Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 9.807 GB (1%)
       Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 10 GB (1%)

It does look a bit odd that used & allocated are above 9.5 GB considering I never was successfull in creating a backup.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:33 PM
  • _Imc_

The scenario you have above matches my own (only destination is a USB drive, not NAS) - also going into event viewer seems to be telling me that various files  that aren't there are causing a problem  - I can't see how this can be the case though as all my restore points & shadow copies have been deleted. I've also increased the amount of storage space allocated to system restore way beyond what should be required.

Did you ever get a resolution to this problem?

I've tried contacting MS but so far theyve not bothered to reply (supposed to be 1 business day but then "Microsoft time" is always warped compared to real time!)

Dellboy67

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Hi,

@_Imc_
    Looks like you have very little shadowcopy storage area. Can you try the following?
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.
    2. vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /MaxSize=5%
    3. Retry backup.

@Dellboy67,
    Regret the inconvenience causes. Can you check all the reasons that I have stated in my reply above and see if any of them fits you?

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:22 PM
  • I had the same problem. For me, the used shadow copy space was approaching the max allocated...probably from a failed backup.

here was the solution for me.

Type 'vssadmin delete shadows /all' from an elevated command prompt.

• Proposed as answer by PalluX Monday, April 19, 2010 2:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by PalluX Monday, April 19, 2010 2:33 PM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

@PalluX:

It seems my luck is not as good as yours. Although I did have 9 entries in my shadow space, deleting them did not fix my problem.

Launching a new backup still results in the same failure, namely "The backup was not successful. The error is: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)."

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:43 AM
  • In my experience, the backup fails with the 0x80070002 error because of two things:

1) The built-in administrator account is disabled (it is disabled by default in Win7)

2) The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is enabled

*Possible solution (!!Use at your own risk!!):

--------------------I recommend doing both ---------------------------

1) Enable the built-in Administrator account (you can disable it again after backup), this can be done several ways. The two most common ways are:

• From elevated cmd prompt type: net user administrator /active:yes

OR

• Right-click Computer
      • select Manage
      • expand Local Users and Groups on the left by clicking the little arrow
      • select users
      • right-click Administrator and select properties
      • un-check 'account is disabled'
      • click Apply
      • click OK

2) Disable the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service , this also can be done several ways. The two most common ways are:

• msconfig
      • click the Start Menu
      • type msconfig in the "search programs and files" entry box (or from Run dialog box)
      • select the Services tab at the top of the window
      • un-check the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
      • click Apply
      • click OK (you may see some warnings or notifications, click OK)
      • restart the computer

OR

• services.msc
      • click the Start Menu
      • type services.msc in the "search programs and files" entry box (or from Run dialog box)
      • select the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service fro the list at the right
      • right-click it and select properties
      • set Startup type to disabled
      • click Apply
      • click OK
      • restart the computer

3) Backup the computer

I hope this helps.

M.Stephenson (MSIS, BSCS)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:48 PM
  • This fixed the problem for me:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

I was using external HD, and the issue was with USB controller.

Win 7 , X64, Pemium, I7

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:36 PM
  • Hi.
    I'm having the same 0x80070002 problem as many others.  None of the solutions proposed so far have helped to fix it for me.  I'll send the log files if you would please have a look and see if a solution can be suggested.

Using a 300G USB HD to backup two internal drives which have about 160G of data on them.  Weekly incremental backups have worked in the past.  As far as I am aware, no changes were made to the system before backups failed.

Appreciated

Monday, August 02, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Hi _lmc_,

Regret the inconvenience caused. The different causes for 80070002 error that we have seen so far are:
    1. USB controller issue for target connected via USB (Not an issue in your case)
    2. Machine has a dual boot configuration with Linux and uses Grub2 bootloader. 
    3. Backup happens to a network target over a wireless connection with disconnects.
    4. Snapshot on the source volume gets deleted while the backup is in progress due to very little shadow copy storage area on the source. Type 'vssadmin list shadowstorage' from an elevated command prompt and have a look at the Maximum shadow copy storage space for the source volume included.
    5. The source volume has disk errors (which is most probably not your scenario since running chkdsk has not solved the problem for you)

Can you take a look at which of the above fits your setup? I can help you with an appropriate workaround then.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    Very nice list of possible problems for this very confusing error.  I would like to add that this error is also caused by an offline system reserved partition and can be resolved by following the procedures in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2419286 - I fixed my problem on Windows 7 by turning on automount as described in that MSKB article.  This is something I haven't really seen mentioned in this thread yet.

Other symptoms of this problem include (1) bcdedit gives the same "The system cannot find the file specified" error, (2) msconfig's Boot tab is empty/non-functional, (3) bcdboot doesn't run correctly either, (4) you get errors from BitLocker in the event log, (5) list of operating systems in Control Panel's System's Advanced tab is empty, (6) viewing the system reserved partition from Disk Management doesn't show the file system type or volume label.

If you have any of those symptoms, resolve them before trying to get Windows Backup working again.  Your system is more deeply hosed.

In my case, the issue was triggered because I installed a 3rd-party partitioning tool to shrink the system reserved partition and enlarge the main partition.  I then uninstalled this tool.
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:44 AM
  • Thanks for sharing your experience!

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:47 AM