none
System Recovery Option is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair

Question

• Testing W2k8 St 32 and 64 bit windows restore from the Boot W2k8 CD. 32 bit works like a charm. W2k8 64 bit I get the message in the problem title. I have 2 install disks for W2k8 install, a 32 bit and 64. I have tryed both on the 64 bit server with no luck. I tryed redownloading SW_DVD5_Windows_Svr_2008w_SP2_English__x64_DC_EE_SE_X15-41371.ISO and still get the error message.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To enable the Recovery: The CPU Architecture, OS Version & Bootloader of Backup and the Recovery Setup Media should match. Please check the below data:

CPU Architecture:

The x64 Setup Media can recover x64 OS Backup and similarly x86 Setup Media can recover x86 OS Backup.
    x64 Setup media can't recover x86 OS backup and vice-versa.

Detecting Setup Media Architecture:

• Boot from Setup Media -> Repair Windows.
    • Open Cmd Prompt.
    • Type: Set PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
    • This will show you the Process architecture of Setup Media.
    • Similarly you can identify the OS CPU architecture in Windows env.
    • Both the architecture should match.

OS Version:

Win7/Windows 2008 R2 Setup media can only recover Win7/W2k8R2 OS Backups.
    Older versions backup are not recoverable by Win7/Windows 2008 R2 Setup media - Vista/ Windows 2008 Backup is only recoverable by Vista/Win2008 Setup Media 

BIOS/EFI Bootloader

The bootloader should also match. The backup of machine with BIOS bootloader cannot be recovered by Setup Media booted from EFI Shell. Same for vice-versa.
    Note: Most of the machines are enabled in BIOS mode by default. Please use Boot Setup Menu to determine if EFI is supported and is enabled by default. 

Hard Disk:

All the hard disks during recovery should be of exact size or greater than the backup time. The number of hard disks should also be equal or more.

To know the exact setup media requirement for your machine, please send me the following file in your backup target location. Please send the mail to vikas(dot)ranjan(at)microsoft(dot)com.

Backup time Disk layout info stored in the following xml document:
    <backuptarget:>\WindowsImageBackup\<ComputerName>\<backup-timestamp>\*components*.xml file.

Thanks,
    Vikas Ranjan [MSFT]

------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.-------

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To enable the Recovery: The CPU Architecture, OS Version & Bootloader of Backup and the Recovery Setup Media should match. Please check the below data:

CPU Architecture:

The x64 Setup Media can recover x64 OS Backup and similarly x86 Setup Media can recover x86 OS Backup.
    x64 Setup media can't recover x86 OS backup and vice-versa.

Detecting Setup Media Architecture:

• Boot from Setup Media -> Repair Windows.
    • Open Cmd Prompt.
    • Type: Set PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
    • This will show you the Process architecture of Setup Media.
    • Similarly you can identify the OS CPU architecture in Windows env.
    • Both the architecture should match.

OS Version:

Win7/Windows 2008 R2 Setup media can only recover Win7/W2k8R2 OS Backups.
    Older versions backup are not recoverable by Win7/Windows 2008 R2 Setup media - Vista/ Windows 2008 Backup is only recoverable by Vista/Win2008 Setup Media 

BIOS/EFI Bootloader

The bootloader should also match. The backup of machine with BIOS bootloader cannot be recovered by Setup Media booted from EFI Shell. Same for vice-versa.
    Note: Most of the machines are enabled in BIOS mode by default. Please use Boot Setup Menu to determine if EFI is supported and is enabled by default. 

Hard Disk:

All the hard disks during recovery should be of exact size or greater than the backup time. The number of hard disks should also be equal or more.

To know the exact setup media requirement for your machine, please send me the following file in your backup target location. Please send the mail to vikas(dot)ranjan(at)microsoft(dot)com.

Backup time Disk layout info stored in the following xml document:
    <backuptarget:>\WindowsImageBackup\<ComputerName>\<backup-timestamp>\*components*.xml file.

Thanks,
    Vikas Ranjan [MSFT]

------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.-------

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:58 PM
  • I have a customer with a similar issue. He has Windows 2008 Server SP2 on an IBM x3200 M3 with UEFI. He creates a backup, boots the W2K8 SP2 disk, and as soon as he hits "Repair" it kicks this message. We've run into this in the past on BIOS based IBM servers as well, but with those we could clear all the shadow copies from device manager using the "Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" command. On these UEFI systems that procedure no longer clears the problem. 
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

I am experiencing a similar problem to the one above and wonder if anyone might have a suggestion.

My setup.

Intel Core I5 2500k (Sandybridge)

Asrock P67 Extreme4 motherboard

OCZ 60Gb Vertex 2E (Contains Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit) - AHCI mode

2 x Samsung F4 2Tb (No system files)

Buffalo USB 3 2Tb external HDD (contains windows created backups including system images) - This is actually running via USB 2 since the Etron USB 3 v0.98 driver currently sucks.

I decided to test the restore of a system image to check that it was going to work properly, so I put a blank DVD in the drive and used backup/restore option to create a system repair disc.  When this was finished, I rebooted the machine which loaded from the newly created disc.

After selecting the language, I was presented with a message along the lines of "This system repair disc is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Please use another disc."  Obviously nothing has changed from creating the disc to booting from it since these steps were done one straight after the other.

I poked around on google for a bit, but other than some fixes to do with RAID setups, nothing seems to quite fit my problem.  Any help appreciated.

Jon Skilling

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

After some more investigation, I have solved this problem.  It appears to be resolved by Vikas's suggestion regarding the BIOS/EFI bootloader above.

My boot priority was set to 1.DVD 2.SSD

Another option, HDD BBS (BIOS Boot Specification) Priority was incorrectly set to include other drives in the sequence.  After disabling the other drives and leaving only the SSD in this list, booting from the DVD functioned correctly and allowed access to the recovery options.

Jon

Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:39 PM
  • I had the same problem.

qbitz1's answer pointed me in the right direction but I am using 2 RAID controllers, disabling one in the BIOS was not enough I had to temporarily remove all drives on my 2nd RAID controller to get this to work.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:33 PM
  • You need to start installation and load drivers for your RAID controllers but do not install windows. After you load drivers close the installation window then try to restore from the backup, it will be works fine.
    • Edited by puch99 Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:41 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Great tip, thanks

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:05 PM
  • qbitz1,

Thank you - for prompting me to revisit my ASUS P8H67-M Pro BIOS settings!  :D

My issue was the boot order I assigned - that I "knew" was the correct one.  What threw me was that the Windows 7 installation DVD let me get as far as browsing the drive for drivers, and I could see the entire file system, so I knew all of the data was there (and fine).  The BIOS identified the drive correctly, but Windows would not start - no matter what.  Of course, I kept receiving the error message that titles this thread.

Thanks again,

Matthew

Be conscientious always, exercise courtesy at every opportunity, & spend idle time thinking about how you can show consideration. No one will force you to be nice: everyone notices when you're not. It's neither easy nor hard, and it's always worth it!

Monday, July 09, 2012 7:10 AM
  • I see that some changes in the BIOS worked for some of you.

I'm dealing with a Sony Vaio SVS13A15G series and the "Boot Mode" in the BIOS, I'm finding, must be set to "Legacy" for me to even boot to a Windows Install or Repair disk. This has been the motherload of pains to fix this one.

I don't see the Boot options you guys are talking about but I constantly get the "wrong version" message when trying to do anything.

Now I'm researching how to do a repair install the hard way since I've not been able to get into the OS once...it's always "Operating System not Found"

Friday, March 01, 2013 4:40 PM

• I think, the joke is not in hardware. I have same trouble and this solution is working  for my case; 

1 - unplug all external devices (usb key, usb disk e.t.c)
    2 - disabe EFI in BIOS (if your hardware support this option)
    3 - start PC/Server - DO NOT PLUG NO EXTERNAL DEVICES YET! 
    4 - insert DVD and load windows image from DVD 
    5 - when windows image loaded is from DVD, first select your language, keyboard e.t.c
    6 - in next step, select REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER
    7 - select options, Restore your computer using a system image you created earlier and click Next. 
    8 - The Wizard give you answer: Re-image your computer.    Windows cannot find a system image on this computer.   
    9 - NOW PLUG YOUR EXTERNAL DEVICE IN  (usb key, usb disk)
    10 - select your image and restore your PC/Server   

This solution work for me OK many times without problems. 

best regards

Ninja 4 IT

Monday, April 22, 2013 10:41 AM
  • Wow, more wasted hours courtesy of Microsoft. After reading countless articles on this, I found the two things getting in my way. 1) I am using HP Z420's with storage controllers not detected by Windows 7, which forces me to use the original installation media for Windows 7 so that I can load the drivers. 2) You have to yank the USB drive before you run "Repair your computer", and then plug it in only when you get the message about Windows not finding an image (thanks to Ninja 4 IT on that one). 

So to sum it up:

1. Boot from the original Windows 7 installation media

2. Load the drivers for your storage controller when prompted

3. Click the "X" to cancel your Windows installation, which will bring you back to the first Windows installation window.

4. Make sure your USB drive with the system restore image is UNplugged and click "repair your computer".

5. Wait until you get prompted about not having a valid system restore image, and then plug in the USB drive. Click "retry" and then you should see your restore image.

6. Restore away!

Hope this works for somebody!

• Proposed as answer by mihooper1 Monday, November 18, 2013 8:24 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Un-f*ing believable. You must disconnect your new HDD before the restore disk will work! Wow. I wonder if Microsoft actually tests these install/repair processes with normal humans before deploying!

FYI, the above (disconnect your new HDD before running the repair disk) worked for me.

Un-f*ing believable......:(

Thx, MikeH

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:24 PM