none
The network path was not found windows server 2003

Question

• Hello. i'm trying to learn for the first exam in MCSA (70-290). At this point I'm reading about MMC and a practice says that i need to create an event viewer console and with it to manage a computer remotely.

About my network now: I'm having a router which gives fix IP's to 2 computers. On server i'm having a fix IP 192.168.0.101, and on laptop I have 192.168.0.102. The gateway for both is 192.168.0.100. On server I have Windows Server 2003 with domain controller (active directory) and dns server roles started. The domain is as in the book: contoso.com. I have succeded to add the laptop to domain. The name of the laptop is LenovoR. The user that give me acces to domain on laptop is GAdmin.

Now for the problem: I'm trying to connect to the laptop from the console i've created. The answer is: "The network path was not found"

I have ping from server to laptop and the other way around. I can connect with remote acces from laptop to server and the other way around. firewall is off for both computers.

Have in mind that I'm very very new to this BUT VERY willing to learn.

Please help.

Thank you.

Sunday, August 01, 2010 7:06 PM

Answers

• This sort of sounds a little bit like a name resolution issue. On the
    DC, if you go to start -> administrative tools -> DNS and examine the
    forward lookup zone for contoso.com, do you have an A record registered
    for LonovoR? If not, create an A record with the IP address for the
    laptop. Then ensure that the account that you are using to open the
    remote connection has administrative permissions on the laptop (possibly
    a domain or enterprise admin account since the laptop is joined to the
    domain).

-- Mike Burr
    • Marked as answer by Gionikey Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:41 AM
    Monday, August 02, 2010 10:37 PM
  • On both systems, what does

nslookup contoso.com

show? I would also recommend taking the router off as a preferred DNS server for now.

-- Mike Burr
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 10:44 PM
  • Please check if "Remote Registry Service" is enabled on remote computer.

Meanwhile here are 2 pages which may relate to the issue. Skip the Firewall related steps as Firewall on both computers are disabled.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840634

http://www.developerbarn.com/microsoft-windows/152-computer-computername-cannot-managed-network-path-not-found.html

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 8:01 AM
  • Hi,

I'm thinking it is a DNS issue. Please first remove the router from the DNS referral and test again.

If issue still exists, have a test to recreate DNS.

How To Install and Configure DNS Server in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814591

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    • Marked as answer by Gionikey Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:40 AM
    Friday, August 06, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Disable DHCP on your router.  Install DHCP on your Domain Controller, and authorize it for Active Directory.  Ensure you configure the DNS server to be distributed to be the IP address of your Domain Controller.  If you run IPCONFIG on any client or server, the IP address of the DNS server should be returned as the Domain Controller that is closest.  In your case, you only have one, 192.168.0.101.
    View my MCP Certifications
    Friday, August 06, 2010 6:44 PM

All replies

• This sort of sounds a little bit like a name resolution issue. On the
    DC, if you go to start -> administrative tools -> DNS and examine the
    forward lookup zone for contoso.com, do you have an A record registered
    for LonovoR? If not, create an A record with the IP address for the
    laptop. Then ensure that the account that you are using to open the
    remote connection has administrative permissions on the laptop (possibly
    a domain or enterprise admin account since the laptop is joined to the
    domain).

-- Mike Burr
    Monday, August 02, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Hello there and thank you for trying to give me an answer. Unfortunately it haven't solved my problem. The zone was already created.

More details as follows: I'm logged in laptop with a user called DomAdmin and a password. This DomAdmin is created in the Active Directory and it is in domain administrator group, in administrators group and in user group (just to be sure).

In a command.com windows I'm checking with nslookup where is the problem. after command, the first thing that nslookup says is:

Default server: server01.contoso.com

Address: 192.168.0.101"

If the next command in nslookup is "server01" (the name of the server) the answer is:

Server: server01.contoso.com

Address: 192.168.0.101

Name: server01.contoso.com

If the next command in nslookup is "lenovor", the answer is:

Name: lenovor.contoso.com

Address: 192.168.0.102

On laptop, at the TCP/IP properties, I've set the "Preferred DNS server": 192.168.0.101 and the "Alternate DNS server": 192.168.0.100 (which is my router at which server and laptop are connected)

If I'm checking with nslookup  the server, the first thing that nslookup says is:

Default server: server01.contoso.com

If the next command in nslookup is "server01" (the name of the server) the answer is:

Name: server01.contoso.com

If the next command in nslookup is "lenovor", the answer is:

Name: lenovor.contoso.com

Address: 192.168.0.102

So from my point of view, the DNS server works just fine. But still I cannot manage laptop from event viewer console or from anywhere else. Both firewalls are off.

Any other ideea please?

Thank you again.

Best regards from Romania.

Gabi

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 10:00 PM
  • On both systems, what does

nslookup contoso.com

show? I would also recommend taking the router off as a preferred DNS server for now.

-- Mike Burr
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 10:44 PM
  • Please check if "Remote Registry Service" is enabled on remote computer.

Meanwhile here are 2 pages which may relate to the issue. Skip the Firewall related steps as Firewall on both computers are disabled.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840634

http://www.developerbarn.com/microsoft-windows/152-computer-computername-cannot-managed-network-path-not-found.html

Thursday, August 05, 2010 8:01 AM
  • Hello. An thank you for taking the time to help me.

Running nslookup contoso.com it says:

Name: contoso.com

the same answer on both server and laptop.

Still nothing with my problem.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 3:41 PM
  • Hey again.

The strangest thing happened. I made a console with event viewer on the laptop where the user with admin rights on domain was connected.

I right clicked the Event viewer, then "Connect to another computer". I've put "Server01" in and there it was. I could see the event viewer of the server. :D

Trying to do the same thing in the same conditions on the server in the next moment, the problem was the same.

From the server01 i cannot connect to lenovor from the event viewer console.

Can anyone explain please?

Thank you very much.

Gabi

Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

I'm thinking it is a DNS issue. Please first remove the router from the DNS referral and test again.

If issue still exists, have a test to recreate DNS.

How To Install and Configure DNS Server in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814591

Friday, August 06, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Disable DHCP on your router.  Install DHCP on your Domain Controller, and authorize it for Active Directory.  Ensure you configure the DNS server to be distributed to be the IP address of your Domain Controller.  If you run IPCONFIG on any client or server, the IP address of the DNS server should be returned as the Domain Controller that is closest.  In your case, you only have one, 192.168.0.101.
    View my MCP Certifications
    Friday, August 06, 2010 6:44 PM
  • What operating systems are you using on both systems?  x86 or x64?
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:45 PM