none
local printers are not showing up on windows 2008 server remote desktop session !!!

Question

• Hi,
     I currently have setup a windows 2008 server and doing some testing on it using RDP. I also have a windows server 2003 with remote desktop connections setup already .  Once I connect from my winXP machine to the Win2003 via RDP my local printer shows up normally and I'm able to print on my local printer everything that I have open under the RDP session on the win2003.

Now when I connect my from same winxp machine to the win2008 server via RDP my local printer is not showing up and made sure that I had the PRINTERS checked under local resources on the RDP setup prior to my connection and still not working !! is there anything different that needs to be done on the windows 2008 server as far as setup or adding some kinda service before it shows local printers when clients RDP to it ? I mean win2003 picks any local without even installing any drivers or anything like that .. it just maps it automatically and it shows under the RDP printer section and is available for printing within the RDP session right away.

any clues ?

Thanks
    Lee
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi lee

yep, I got the 32 bit drivers up ok.

two ways of doing it:

Make sure you load all the 64 bit drivers on to your windows server 2003 server (so you have x86 & x64 drivers loaded for each printer)
    Then export your printers & import them into 2008 server.

I managed to get half of them over this way, but the other half failed.
    So to get the last half over

Add the x64 printer off the 2008 server to your xp client, it will prompt that it needs the 32 bit driver, load the driver & it automatically loads the 32 bit driver up to
    the 2008 print server.

Do a google, sorry bing, to see how it's done.

cheers
    • Marked as answer by fUji,OwnZ Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:04 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:02 PM

All replies

• Hi leefuji,

You need to install on the windows 2008 server the driver of that printer, so it can be mapped, otherwise it won't be mapped.

Monday, August 10, 2009 7:29 AM
  • Hi Lee,

Thanks for the post.

Please understand that the printer driver for Windows Server 2003 is the same type as the one for Windows XP, that's why we don't need to install additional driver when using RDP; however, the printer driver for Windows Server 2008 is different from the one for Windows XP. In this case, we may manually install this printer driver on the Windows Server 2008-based machine.

Hope this helps.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:56 AM
  • hi there,
     I tried installing the driver for my local printer on the server 2008 and still didnt work. other thing is that many of my clients printers dont even have drivers for the 2008 server !! what about the easy print driver that server 2008 installs and emulates or maps the XPS printer or something I read about ?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 1:44 PM

• Hi,

Actually you don't need a driver for a 2008 server, most printers have an universal driver, can you supply us with the Printer Model, and which Driver you tried to Install ?

Monday, August 10, 2009 2:34 PM

• Hi,

Actually you don't need a driver for a 2008 server, most printers have an universal driver, can you supply us with the Printer Model, and which Driver you tried to Install ?

Hi ,
     I have a locally connected HP LaserJet 1200. I did install its drivers on the server 2008 by going to Printers , then file-> Server properties- Drivers tab and from there I added the HP LaserJet 1200 PCL5 driver that was included in the drivers listing and added that. then went and RDP'ed into the server and still not showing under printers in the remote session , it just shows the XPS printer which is already defined as the local printer for the server. :(  , am I doing anything wrong ?

Lee

Monday, August 10, 2009 4:12 PM

• Hi,

If everything is by default on the Terminal Services Configuration it should be mapping,

Please verify which driver version you have on your PC, if you have other version like PCL6 or PS(post Script) install the same version on the server and then log off and log back on.

wait for some seconds because some time printer do not map straight away, on your RDP client also make sure that the option to connect printers is selected.

GL
    • Proposed as answer by nrodri Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:57 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:48 AM

• Hi,

If everything is by default on the Terminal Services Configuration it should be mapping,

Please verify which driver version you have on your PC, if you have other version like PCL6 or PS(post Script) install the same version on the server and then log off and log back on.

wait for some seconds because some time printer do not map straight away, on your RDP client also make sure that the option to connect printers is selected.

GL

Terminal Services is configured with default settings, so nothing weird setup and yes drivers are the same version and everything. according to MS Microsoft's tech community website and all the other sources I found about TS 2008 and easy printing I don't even need to install any drivers on the server to begin with since its a very common used printer and that's what they eliminated with the easy print driver in 2008 avoiding driver installation on the server side which caused many problems in 2003 . Any other Ideas or things to check on my end ?

Also made sure to have the RDC 6.1 installed and .NET 3.0 SP1 which is required for the easy print to work. and still nothing.

thanks
    lee

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:10 PM
  • hi again,
     ok i figured out what the problem is but now another issue came up. ok i forgot to mention that the windows 2008 server i'm running is the 64bit edition , and all the clients workstations basically are either XP or Vista 32bits which you would pretty much expect from workstations. So I installed the 2008 server 32bit edition on an extra machine i had and booom I was able to RDP to it from both xp and vista and printers re-directed fine and right on the spot but now I need to go with the 64bit edition of windows server 2008 to take advantage of more ram and application speed and everything and SQL 64bit, how does this work when u have a 64bit terminal server and having those 32bit machines rdp to it which obviously was the problem why none of the printers were re-directing (mapping) . would I usually install the 64bit printer drivers on the terminal server since thats all that can be installed and then give that a try, but i think thats why it kinda didnt map to begin with  ? any ideas . thanks

lee
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:39 PM
  • I have the same problem, windows server 2008 x64 loaded with 6 printers (all 32 bit and 64 bit drivers are loaded).
    When I rdp to the server using window xp 32 bit, the only printer I get redirected is my default printer & the xps document writer.
    No other printers redirect.
    • Proposed as answer by pfenton89 Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:46 PM
  • I have the same problem, windows server 2008 x64 loaded with 6 printers (all 32 bit and 64 bit drivers are loaded).
    When I rdp to the server using window xp 32 bit, the only printer I get redirected is my default printer & the xps document writer.
    No other printers redirect.
    Hi bobby,
     Where you able to load up the 32bit drivers for the printers on the 64bit server 2008 ?! when I tried to load them up i got a msg about being a different platform. please let me know and I will give it another try to get the 32bit printer drivers up on the x64 server 2008. thanks

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:53 PM
  • Hi lee

yep, I got the 32 bit drivers up ok.

two ways of doing it:

Make sure you load all the 64 bit drivers on to your windows server 2003 server (so you have x86 & x64 drivers loaded for each printer)
    Then export your printers & import them into 2008 server.

I managed to get half of them over this way, but the other half failed.
    So to get the last half over

Add the x64 printer off the 2008 server to your xp client, it will prompt that it needs the 32 bit driver, load the driver & it automatically loads the 32 bit driver up to
    the 2008 print server.

Do a google, sorry bing, to see how it's done.

cheers
    • Marked as answer by fUji,OwnZ Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:04 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:02 PM
  • sounds good I will give that a try and ttry to load up everything and give it another shot . thanks for the help all.

lee
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:04 PM
  • I had the same problem.  However my issue was that the Group Policy in place was prohibiting remote desktop client printer re-direction.     

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:04 PM
  • I had the same problem! I installed the print driver for my Dell Printer onto the Windows 2008 server and once I re-established my remote desktop connection, my printer showed up and I was able to print!

-Flea

• Proposed as answer by Flea_ Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:39 AM
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:39 AM
  • I am having the same problem.  Using Server 2008 32bit

When I RDP my local printer is mapped and shows under the "printers" in server "print management" with redirecting and a TS port nr, but when I print a test page, nothing prints

• Proposed as answer by niyasali_786 Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by niyasali_786 Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:25 PM
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 1:50 PM
  • pls go on

http://www.proposedsolution.com/solutions/remote-desktop-connection-rdc-printer-install/

Thanks

Niyas

Sunday, December 18, 2011 12:26 PM