none
Server 2008 share disconnecting

Question

• I have a single windows 2008 server set up as a Domain Controller and file server with 8 workstations connected to it. The shared folder resides on the server and there are no NAS attached to the network. The workstations are all Win7Pro and all are up to date with updates, drivers, etc... My problem is that we use an application on all of the desktops that connects to a database. The connection to the share drops/disconnects/blinks etc causing the application on the desktop to crash. I have no errors in the server logs that I can find and the only error on the desktops I can find is that the network resource not available. Assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When the sepcific issue occurs, after rebooting or just randomly? And whether the issue occurs on all clients?

If issue occurs on all clients, you will need to check the server site and network traffic.

First check the system resource including CPU, memory and network traffic on server to see if any one is the cause.

Then you could try a pathping from client to server to see if there is any obvious delay occurs.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Is this a physical or a virtual domain controller/File server? I've seen such issues on a virtual DC and it lead to updating the drivers on the NIC ( of the host). Are you seeing any SRV errors on the system logs? Also, is this Windows 2008 R2?

Btw, I'm experiencing similar issues on a physical file server (Windows 2008R2). Its a Dell R-720 server and I'm currently diagnosing the issue, without much luck.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When the sepcific issue occurs, after rebooting or just randomly? And whether the issue occurs on all clients?

If issue occurs on all clients, you will need to check the server site and network traffic.

First check the system resource including CPU, memory and network traffic on server to see if any one is the cause.

Then you could try a pathping from client to server to see if there is any obvious delay occurs.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Is this a physical or a virtual domain controller/File server? I've seen such issues on a virtual DC and it lead to updating the drivers on the NIC ( of the host). Are you seeing any SRV errors on the system logs? Also, is this Windows 2008 R2?

Btw, I'm experiencing similar issues on a physical file server (Windows 2008R2). Its a Dell R-720 server and I'm currently diagnosing the issue, without much luck.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:59 AM
  • I guess my earlier reply did not make it up here for some reason.

anyway, This is a Physical Server with 12 clients attached to it.  It happens at approximately the same time every day.  There are no errors that I can find in the server log but I am going to check again for SRV errors as narthup asked above.  The only errors I can find are on the workstation telling me the network resource is unavailable.  That causes the disconnect and everything has to be re synced in the database.

Funny thing, once daylight savings time hit, the problem started happening an hour earlier.

Friday, April 05, 2013 8:40 PM