none
2012 Upgrade requires 519GB

Question

• We have a Hyper-V server with 512GB of memory that we have a 64GB drive for the C: Drive. Server is running 2008 R2 SP1 (fully patched) with a manual page file of 4GB... From our stand point we don't waste 512GB on space for a page file on a hyper-v box. Disk zero contains the System reserved partition, the 64GB C: drive and a 2TB E: drive dedicated to the VMs (pretty much fully allocated).

The box was recently loaded and at a remote location, so we want to upgrade the server to Windows 2012 Datacenter addition remotely. When I tried to update Windows it said it couldn't be updated because there was insufficient disk space. The required space was 519GB to complete the upgrade.

Is there some way to configure an unattend or MDT build so that the update does not require the page file space? We have 40GB free on the C: drive and need to figure out if we have to reload the entire server or if we can find a way to upgrade.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:46 PM

Answers

• If it is just a Hyper-V host, I'd simply wipe the drive and do a complete install then, rather than go through the upgrade process.  You will likely get the warning message about there not being enough space, but it can be ignored.  I just created a 64GB VM with a 32 GB drive.  During the install it said there was not the 82 GB recommended, but I just continue and the install is fine.

tim

Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:39 PM
  • I ended up having them pull memory out while I did the upgrade. I didn't try max mem, because I didn't know if it would work and I didn't want to have a problem with a system that I couldn't get to if something went wrong. Pulling the memory worked out for me.
    • Marked as answer by Oldguard Monday, December 31, 2012 7:58 PM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 7:58 PM

All replies

• Are you sure that wasn't just a warning message and not a message that stopped the upgrade?  I have run into a message regularly that says I do not have enough space and I proceed and everything works fine.

tim

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:07 PM
  • I am sure... The message I get doesn't give me any option to continue...

Windows won't install unless each of these things is taken care of. Close Windows Setup, take care of each one, and then restart Windows Setup to continue.

There is not enough free space on the partition (c:). A total of 532369 (MB) of free disk space is required. Try Disk Cleanup, or moving files to an external location
         such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive, and then restart the installation...

I may have to have someone at the remote site pull memory out of the box, but I would rather not do that.  It seems like there should be a switch or a way to modify the installer so that I can bypass this requirement. I wont be the only one with a Hyper-V box that has a lot of memory and a much smaller C: drive...

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:26 PM
  • And after looking at it I don't even know if I can pull memory to get down low enough to do an update... The size of the DIMMS are to large...
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:41 PM
  • If it is just a Hyper-V host, I'd simply wipe the drive and do a complete install then, rather than go through the upgrade process.  You will likely get the warning message about there not being enough space, but it can be ignored.  I just created a 64GB VM with a 32 GB drive.  During the install it said there was not the 82 GB recommended, but I just continue and the install is fine.

tim

Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:39 PM
  • I was trying to avoid having someone a 1000 miles away do the install when that really isn't their job... I guess the bottom line is that upgrading a hyper-V box to 2012 is probably not realistic, but it has kind of been advertised by Microsoft as being something you can do... Very few Hyper-V boxes have a c: drive that is larger than the memory on the box. The Microsoft people I have talked to don't even recommend making the C: drive big enough to accommodate a page file that accommodates the VM memory space. Kind of hoping this type of thread will get back to the program management. Maybe we will see a feature enhancement.
    • Edited by Oldguard Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:08 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Hello,

Have you tried limiting the amount of RAM via the BCD file that is available to Windows during the upgrade?

msconfig, boot tab, advanced options, maximum memory

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

• Proposed as answer by ip-rob Friday, December 21, 2012 9:30 PM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:24 PM
  • I ran into this same issue and used the msconfig setting to work around it.  I stopped all the VM's, set the value of usable RAM to 8GB, rebooted, and then ran the setup.  The server still reported the full physical RAM but only the limited amount as "usable".  After the upgrade, I reset the paging file the way I wanted and everything was good.

Thanks for this great tip!!

Rob

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:32 PM
  • I ended up having them pull memory out while I did the upgrade. I didn't try max mem, because I didn't know if it would work and I didn't want to have a problem with a system that I couldn't get to if something went wrong. Pulling the memory worked out for me.
    • Marked as answer by Oldguard Monday, December 31, 2012 7:58 PM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 7:58 PM