none
Startup Group Policy Script for Office 2010 Not Working

Question

• Hello,

I've followed the Microsoft instructions for deploying Office 2010, however, the Office 2010 startup bat file script is not is not installing Office 2010. 

My environment consist of 3 domain controllers.   2 Windows 2003 SP2 and 1 Windows 2008 R2 SP1.  The servers have been harden with the Microsoft Security configurations.  The office files are shared out on the Windows 2003 Domain controller.  I'm using a Windows XP SP3 Virtual Machine for testing. 

What I've done:

I've created the Office 2010 share with modify permissions for Everyone and Authenticated users.  I even added the computer account with modify rights to the share.

I've verified through the Windows XP client computer that it is not getting the GPO to disable command prompts. 

I'm able to browse to the GPO from the Windows XP client.

I've verified through RSOP that the computer is getting the policy.

I've setup the GPO to run the script in visible mode and see it run at startup.

I've enable Verbose logging on the testing computer and the policy appears to have no problems. 

Any suggestions to fix this issue will be greatly appreciated

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:03 PM

Answers

• Hello,

this kind of installation (with a startscript) is always kind of tricky.
    First of all, talking about startup script you need to enable this settings:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon => activated

and

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Scripts\Run startup scripts asynchronously => deactivated

Please also check the eventlog for installation errors.

The setup of office will create a bunch of logfiles.
    As the setup runs in context of SYSTEM (during startup) you should find the logfiles here:
    C:\Windows\Temp

If you want to test if your script is at least started or not, please add this line to the batch-file:

set >c:\temp\script.log

If the script is executed it should create a "script.log" (if a c:\temp folder exists).

MVP Group Policy - Mythen, Insiderinfos und Troubleshooting zum Thema GPOs: http://matthiaswolf.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Hi Mark

does the batch file install Office 2010 if you run it manually?

Cheers

Alex

• Marked as answer by metter2369 Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by metter2369 Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by metter2369 Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:17 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:41 PM
  • All,

Thanks for your help.  I fixed my problem although I'm not sure what the problem was.   I simply removed everything and started from scratch.  I also used petenetlive. 

Mark

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

this kind of installation (with a startscript) is always kind of tricky.
    First of all, talking about startup script you need to enable this settings:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon => activated

and

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Scripts\Run startup scripts asynchronously => deactivated

Please also check the eventlog for installation errors.

The setup of office will create a bunch of logfiles.
    As the setup runs in context of SYSTEM (during startup) you should find the logfiles here:
    C:\Windows\Temp

If you want to test if your script is at least started or not, please add this line to the batch-file:

set >c:\temp\script.log

If the script is executed it should create a "script.log" (if a c:\temp folder exists).

MVP Group Policy - Mythen, Insiderinfos und Troubleshooting zum Thema GPOs: http://matthiaswolf.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Hello,

I followed your instructions above about making the Group Policy changes and adding the extra line in the batch file to produce a script.log file.  Upon logon the batch file did execute and produce the script.log file on the computer, however, Office still did not install.  I tried this on a physical as well as a virtual machine as well.   I also tried running the batch file from a domain admin account on the XP machine which did not work either?  Do you know if this batch file should work while logged in the computer as an administrator? I've followed the  Deploy Office 2010 Group Policy instructions from top to bottom.  Any idea what to do next?

Thanks,

Mark

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:56 PM
  • Hi Mark

does the batch file install Office 2010 if you run it manually?

Cheers

Alex

• Marked as answer by metter2369 Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by metter2369 Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:11 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:41 PM
  • All,

Thanks for your help.  I fixed my problem although I'm not sure what the problem was.   I simply removed everything and started from scratch.  I also used petenetlive. 

Mark

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:16 PM