Hyper-V Vs VMware

General discussion

• I am currently doing a university course on server 2008, I am doing a research project on Virtualization and I was just wondering why IT professionals are using Hyper-V over VMware? Is it just because it is provided with server 2008 which makes it cheaper to implement or is there other reasons why Hyper-V is better than VMware or if people use VMware why they might use that instaid of Hyper-V. Thanks in advance for any responces.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 9:12 PM

All replies

• In general most IT shops choose one piece of software over another for a couple reasons.

1) cost

2) familiarity

3) ease of demo / installation / getting started

4) Do we have either deployed already

5) what are we going to run on it (theory - Windows runs better on Windows)

Very rarely have I seen a truely technical analysis of we really need high performance in area X.  And product QWERTY has this.  Therefore we choose QWERTY.  It is never this cut and dried.

If the features are similar enough (mind you I never said equal as features are rarely equal between two pieces of software) then the factors above come into play in a big way.

For example a shop that is already VMware is not going to switch unless there is some force that makes it do so.  If a shop has neither VMware nor Hyper-V (nor XenServer, etc.) then most of the time they choose one over the other based on reputation, #3 above, sales folks promises.

And don't forget the influence of the integrator.

It would be interesting to see all of these very non-technical variables captured.  Because in the end, the decision is rarely only technical.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Monday, March 22, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Just wondering have you made some google reserch before asking?

This question is not new, as you can get.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hyper-v+vs+vmware+&cts=1269337971866&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

iSCSI SAN Software Support Department

http://starwindsoftware.com

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:54 AM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/virtualization/en/us/cost-savings.aspx

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/datacenter/?p=1820

I dropped VMware a longtime ago. I just think Hyper-V is so much simpler and much easier to become an expert in. Microsoft have come so far in such a short time in comparison to VM Ware in the virtualisation market and I think it is only a matter of time before Microsoft overtake VM Ware.

Best of luck with your research

Sean

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Ok thanks for these replies they have been so much help so far.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:20 PM
  • in addition to what everyone else has posted, i came from a vmware environment to a hyper-v environment, and hyper-v is easier to use, pretty intuitive.  vmware seems more complex than it needs to be, maybe that's just perception on my part, who knows.
    It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:34 PM
  • I too started with VMware (over 5 years ago) and remember when Virtual Center was a new thing.

I now work with VMware randomly and XenCenter and Hyper-V on a regular basis.

Yes, the administrative experience is different.  VMware allows the tweaking of most everything.  There is both good and bad to this.  But for most actions that a person has to perform on a day to day basis - I see little difference.

I see the VMware paradigm or the MSFT paradigm (the XenServer paradigm is different yet).

Now, I have to admit that I look at these products in a totally different way than I did 5 years ago too.  I force myself to look beyond the management experience, and to look beyond the setup experience, and to actually consider what the product can do for me - the problems it can solve and how well (and how) it does that.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 3:36 PM