none
works manaully on a single machine but not on an OU

Question

• hi there, this is a very general question so please forgive me...

can anyone think of any reason why a start up script as follows is working on some machines in the OU and not others? or maybe not working on any for that matter.

The script / batch file does the trick when I run it manually so why wont it work as a start up script?? it also works when I add the GPO to a single OU with a single machine in the OU, I restart and sure as anything the script has removed tight vnc but for some reason it WILL NOT work on the OU above which holds all the machines I need it to run on.

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\TightVNC\
    uninstall.exe /S

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:32 PM

All replies

• if you mean by OU above child ou's, you can check if "Block inheritance is enabled on the child ou, which would prevent the logon script via gpo to be executed in the child ou( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785665(v=ws.10).aspx )
    Friday, February 15, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 18, 2013 5:10 AM
  • the policy has been enforced but it is still not working on some machines! I just cannot see why!

The only thing I can think is that the machines it is not working on have not been restarted however the company policy states that all computers should be turned off at the end of each day.

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\TightVNC\
    uninstall.exe /S

works perfectly from the command line - also works when computer A is in OUA and the GPO is applied to OUA with domain computers added to the scope of the policy. So why will it not work on all machines when they are in OUA?

Monday, February 18, 2013 3:09 PM
  • is there a way I can see the uptime of a computer remotely without needing to install additional third party software?

it could be that the machines are not being turned off??
    • Edited by hyperNoddy Monday, February 18, 2013 3:14 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Monday, February 18, 2013 4:28 PM
  • so will this query clients as well as servers? All the clients are windows 7 pro
    Monday, February 18, 2013 4:43 PM
  • ok I ran this but all it shows in the current time as follows

Uptime Report Run 02/18/2013 16:48:50

Monday, February 18, 2013 4:54 PM
  • this is still not working and I really do not understand why, im 100% sure iv done everything correct in group policy

Friday, March 08, 2013 3:41 PM