none
ATI FirePro drivers for Win8 Server

General discussion

• We have a server (dual AMd 6274 / 128GB) equipped with two ATI FirePro V9800 to test RemoteFX. These cards support DirectX11.

Our intent is to test RemoteFX in this configuration.

The current build of Win8 Server does not seem to include default drivers for this graphic card. ATI does not seem to have a specific set of graphics driver for Win 8 server. Right now I am able to install the Win8 64bit Consumer Preview drivers and see the two cards under RemoteFX / Hyper-V (see picture below).

I was wondering if someone could comment whether or not using Win8 64bit consumer driver is appropriate for now or if we could expect specific Windows server drivers soon.

Thanks - Didier.

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If the driver from ATI is newer than the one within Windows Server 8 Beta, use the one from ATI.

By the way, there isn’t any news about the “specific Windows server drivers”, you may wait for the next release of Windows Server 8 to check. Thanks for your understanding.

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:18 AM
  • I was also trying to install the Win8 64bit consumer driver on one of my Windows Server 8 beta build 8250 test servers (Asus P8P67-M Pro board, i7 CPU, 32 GB RAM) with one ATI FirePro v5800 card. Installation seemed to be successful, but the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver continues to be active. When I try to update the driver manually, the message says that "The best driver software for your device is already installed - Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" und just keeps the default display driver. How can I enforce the activation of the ATI driver?

Benny

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Don't run the ATI install program to install the drivers, extract the package to the default path on the C: drive and then simply use Device Manager to update the driver.  Select "Browse my computer..." and point it to the folder where all of the ATI files were extracted.  This worked for me for an ATI card to get the drivers installed on Windows Server "8" Beta.

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Don, this is exactly what I did when I said that I tried to update the driver manually. Didn't work.

Benny

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:31 PM
  • As far as whether or not drivers for Windows Server 8 Beta are upcoming, you would need to contact ATI.  In the meantime, you should be able to use Windows Server 2008 R2 drivers or the Windows 8 Consumer Preview drivers.

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:33 PM