none
Should Essentials support XP and Vista? Both? Just Vista?

All replies

• http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/jj200132

Supported clients at this time are Windows 8 Release Preview, Windows 7, Mac
    OS X version 10.5 to 10.8.  Note it does not include XP or Vista.

Do you think this is a good idea?  Yes or no?

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:49 AM
  • My Girlfriend works for a company that is in the Fortune 500.  We are talking a BIG multi-national corporation. What OS is her laptop running? XP.  What are they still deploying when someone gets a new laptop in their department?  XP. 

She has a brand new (well - 7 months old) laptop.  It has a Win7 COA on it.  Its running, XP.

We often look at this from a SMB point of view.  We cry about compatibility issues.  SMB is easy.  We put a new OS on a machine when we get a new machine.  Its been just about 3 years now since Dell really stopped selling XP on a desktop.  Get a new Desktop. Problem solved. 

Girlfriends new Dell with the corporate XP image and 4GB of RAM is so slow its pathetic. 

I don't know, I guess change starts at the bottom (SMB) and works its way to the top (Enterprise). 

Jeremy

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:09 AM
  • Most of my smb clients now run Win7. We only have some "unimportent" machines left on XP. They all have MS OV agreements and they all want Win7 and like it sometimes more than XP.

MS have a clear lifecycle policy (and I think, this is very good) and XP will be EoL in 2014 with no security patches. We also depend on some LoBs those vendors terminated support on XP (one will terminate support on SQl2008 next year, only supporting SQL2012).

I think moving forward (and forcing that move a bit) will make things easier for clients and at least for us.

Just think of clients calling concerning issues in their invironments where you see too old systems. In the end, they don´t see that it´s their failure and they blame us, their consultants, for not solving their problems.

I agree with you, Susan, when you say "it´s a licencing problem not a technical problem". We have to ask MS for the right smb offerings to support that switch away from XP and SBS 2011 Standard.

I hope you understand what I try to say here. Sometimes I tend to write and think simultaneous :=)

Rolf Niedhorn - NIERO@net e.K. (Hamburg, Germany)

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

I think it should be reasonable in Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

As we know, Windows XP is approaching to the end of life. Microsoft suggests that we’d better migration to the Windows 7. For the detailed information, you could refer to the link below:

Title: Microsoft Ends Support of Windows XP, Office 2003
    URL: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/endofsupport.aspx?WT.mc_id=MSCOM_EN_US_HP_CAROUSEL_123LMUS014562

BTW, I have to say that Windows 7 will be a better choice, more security, more reliability and easier deployment.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:51 AM
  • So not only is Microsoft killing the SBS line - now they're requiring when we DO upgrade our clients to Essentials, we must force them to upgrade all their client OS machines too!?

We support a few different churches, doctors’ offices, shipping companies etc... they have machines that work fine running XP still on them. Or we have machines that have Vista on them (as they're only 3 years old). So now we're supposed to tell them they MUST upgrade those too?

For starters - the ones still running XP are usually older machines, not as important, but still play a important role... usually these machines are Pentium 4's with 1GB of RAM. So we're telling the clients they MUST upgrade these machines now in order for their server to work?

Secondly - the machines that are 3 years old with Vista on it. We recommend our clients to upgrade 20% of their computers yearly... thus the oldest machine is rarely more than 5 years old. This keeps problems from hardware getting old and dying as well as OS dating to a minimum. This also gives most of our clients the option to amortize over 5 years. Now we're telling the clients they have to speed up the upgrade process by 2 years? They must have all machines on Windows 7 (or 8)???

While I "MAY" see some reasons for dropping XP (though I still disagree with that) - Vista support being dropped is just plain stupid. Microsoft - you need to wake up and stop shooting the companies that support you, in the foot. My clients will not go for this, nor can we.

Shawn

• Edited by Shawn Lemay Saturday, August 04, 2012 2:13 AM
    Saturday, August 04, 2012 2:12 AM
  • A very reasonable and lucid answer. I'm convinced. Please forward me your CC info via IM and I will order all the necessary upgrades for my clients ;)

Friday, February 01, 2013 11:14 PM
  • I don't know if this is technically a "supported" solution, but you certainly can join a Windows XP machine to an Essentials domain (provided that the XP machine is on the same LAN), you just can't do it using the connector software, and as a result you wont get a the Launchpad, but once connected you could map drives and access resources (AD, DNS, etc). However, it is likely that client backups wont work. Also, you can get VPN connected if not on the same LAN using PPP (as opposed to SSTP), again provided that port 1723 is open between the XP client and the WSE 2012 box, this should work for MAC clients as well, although you will have to manually configure both clients for VPN access using this method. It is also noteworthy to point out that the RWA feature is available to ALL client's/devices.  
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:58 AM
  • "It is also noteworthy to point out that the RWA feature is available to ALL client's/devices.  "

You sure about that?

Monday, March 18, 2013 7:46 PM
  • XP boxes joined to the 2012 domain the old fashioned way do not appear in the device list when you connect the RWW.

remote access still works but you have to do it through the mstsc software and manually setting the gateway address.

Friday, June 28, 2013 1:21 AM