none
how to add client access licenses to Windows Server 2012 standard

Question

• we setup a server 2012 system for users to remote into but server 2012 only allows 2 users to remote in at a time. we are planning to buy User CALs but i can not find out how to install them so our users can remote in. how do i install the CALs onto the server??
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You would need to install the licensing server role to apply licences.

Please see the following link: RDS 2012 – RD Licensing Role 

You should have 180 days grace period after install. 

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by bgreen-ims Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:07 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:17 PM
  • Hi,

The Licensing Role allows you to add device or client licences for users to access Remote Desktop Services. There should be no effect to the Remote Desktop Gateway or other services. Please see the link to Microsoft's RDS 2012 licensing info. 

No RDS CALs are required for up to two users to access instances of the server software for administration purposes. 

Licensing Windows Server 2012 Remote Desktop Services 

There are three types of Licence:

RDS Device CAL: Permits one device (used by any user) to use Remote Desktop Services functionality on any of your servers.

RDS User CAL: Permits one user (using any device) to use Remote Desktop Services functionality on any of your servers. RDS External Connector: Permits multiple external users to access a single Remote Desktop server. If you have multiple servers, you need multiple external connectors in addition to any required Windows Server External Connectors.  

Best Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Ryan Mangan Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by bgreen-ims Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I would recommend purchasing them through a Microsoft agreement if you have one as buying packs of 5 cals can become costly.

Best Regards,

• Unmarked as answer by bgreen-ims Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by bgreen-ims Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:00 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You would need to install the licensing server role to apply licences.

Please see the following link: RDS 2012 – RD Licensing Role 

You should have 180 days grace period after install. 

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by bgreen-ims Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:07 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:17 PM
  • could that interfere with our TS Gateway or remote desktop use in general
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Hi,

The Licensing Role allows you to add device or client licences for users to access Remote Desktop Services. There should be no effect to the Remote Desktop Gateway or other services. Please see the link to Microsoft's RDS 2012 licensing info. 

No RDS CALs are required for up to two users to access instances of the server software for administration purposes. 

Licensing Windows Server 2012 Remote Desktop Services 

There are three types of Licence:

RDS Device CAL: Permits one device (used by any user) to use Remote Desktop Services functionality on any of your servers.

RDS User CAL: Permits one user (using any device) to use Remote Desktop Services functionality on any of your servers. RDS External Connector: Permits multiple external users to access a single Remote Desktop server. If you have multiple servers, you need multiple external connectors in addition to any required Windows Server External Connectors.  

Best Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Ryan Mangan Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:41 PM
  • Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:43 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I would recommend purchasing them through a Microsoft agreement if you have one as buying packs of 5 cals can become costly.

Best Regards,

• Unmarked as answer by bgreen-ims Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by bgreen-ims Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:00 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:49 PM
  • i am just trying to make it so users can remote directly into the server. i installed the licensing server and installed CALs. however only 2 people can remote in at a time still i did not setup the remote desktop services installation because it interfered with our existing terminal services gateway and some permissions with a network share drive. why can only 2 people remote in at a time even though a 10 pack of server 2012 user CALs was bought through microsoft open license?? and how do i get it to work??

i mean all we are trying to do is make it so we can have more than 2 users connected remotely to the same physical machine

• Edited by bgreen-ims Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:34 PM