none
File sharing on Windows Server 2008 R2 with XP and Workgroup

Question

• Hope someone can please help me out.  I have a Windows 2008 R2 server running as a file server (no domain or active directory).  We have about 12 Windows XP PRO workstations running that read/write data to a shared folder on the server.  I've setup the server to use standard file sharing and given the shared folder permission to "Everyone" with full access.  However, I would like to change the permissions such that some users can have "MODIFY" access and others only "READ" access.  I don't want "Everyone" to have full access.  I want to control it by user or workstation.  I'm having difficulty because no one is really logging into their workstations since we're on a workgroup.  My question is basically can I do this and how?

When I go into the share folder (on the server) settings > permissions, I see that I can add a resource of a user or computer name.  The only resource showing up is the server name itself.  I have tried adding a computer name (one of the Windows XP Pro workstations) along with the workgroup name and even the username on the workstation... nothing is accepted!  For example:

\\Workgroupname\workstationname (doesn't work)
    workstationname (doesn't work)
    \\Workgroupname\usernameOnPC (doesn't work)

Can I restrict access (permissions) to the shared folder differently per Workstation?  If so, how?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

Best Regards,

Nelson

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As these computers are in workgroup but not domain, you can only share folders to local user or local user group (but not domain user or domain user group).

So basically it is hard to control the access permission. In order to do so, you will need to create local users with same account name and password as the users on all other Windows XP computers, so that when Windows XP going to access the shares, as they are using the logon account, they will be restricted by permission of local account. However it is almost impossible to get all user accounts.

Or you can create several local accounts, give them properly permissons and share them with different users. So these users will use the created account to access folders. However if users will share these account with each other, this will not work either. So the correct way is using domain instead of workgroup.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:07 AM

All replies

• bump... anyone please help me with this?  I was hoping to get this working this past weekend, but still could not.

Thank you,

Nelson

Monday, April 18, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

As these computers are in workgroup but not domain, you can only share folders to local user or local user group (but not domain user or domain user group).

So basically it is hard to control the access permission. In order to do so, you will need to create local users with same account name and password as the users on all other Windows XP computers, so that when Windows XP going to access the shares, as they are using the logon account, they will be restricted by permission of local account. However it is almost impossible to get all user accounts.

Or you can create several local accounts, give them properly permissons and share them with different users. So these users will use the created account to access folders. However if users will share these account with each other, this will not work either. So the correct way is using domain instead of workgroup.

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:07 AM