none
Reset Windows 2008 NTFS default permissions

Question

• Hello,

I need to restore Windows 2008 Server system files to their original default permissions. It appears permissions on the entire C drive where Windows is installed have been changed. My first clue was a backup failure when backing up the C drive. Also when I logon to the server as a Domain Admin; a pop up referencing the Recycle Bin warns of a corrupt Recycle Bin on C:. It asks if I want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive? When I click Yes; It errors with "You need permission to perform this action". I've compared security setting on this server with another Windows 2008 server on the domain; and the permissions are very different.

Tuesday, November 09, 2010 9:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is there any backup fail error message? Please share with us the backup failure so that we can do research on backup failure to identify if the issue is related to NTFS permissions, here you could look into Event Viewer, check Windows Backup event log to get more error logs.

As I know, error corrupt recycle bin is related to NTFS permission on the drive. To resolve this problem, please log on with a local administrator account and empty the recycle bin for all users.

If the issue persists, in order to reset the permissions on NTFS drive on Windows Server. Please refer to the following articles:

Resetting NTFS Permissions on Windows Server 2003

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any backup fail error message? Please share with us the backup failure so that we can do research on backup failure to identify if the issue is related to NTFS permissions, here you could look into Event Viewer, check Windows Backup event log to get more error logs.

As I know, error corrupt recycle bin is related to NTFS permission on the drive. To resolve this problem, please log on with a local administrator account and empty the recycle bin for all users.

If the issue persists, in order to reset the permissions on NTFS drive on Windows Server. Please refer to the following articles:

Resetting NTFS Permissions on Windows Server 2003

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:43 AM
  • Thanks Dale,

Below is the error message generated by Backup Exec. It repeats apx 40 times.

Error                  : e00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

File was skipped       : \\Server\C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Applicatio

File was skipped       : \\Server\C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Applicatio

Upon reviewing Security Permissions on the C:\ProgramData; I discovered Permissions were being Inherited from C:\. My other Windows 2008 servers C:\ProgramData Permissions are not inherited they are specific to that folder.

Here is a copy of the of the issue found in the Application log:Log Name:     

Application
    Source:        Backup Exec
    Date:          10/5/2010 9:02:25 PM
    Event ID:      57481
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Server
    Description:
    An unusual error (1921) was encountered while enumerating the contents of the directory:

\\Server\C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data.

It is possible that files or subdirectories have not been backed up. Please examine your job log or catalogs to ensure this directory tree was backed up in its entirety.

I reviewed the link regarding resetting NTFS permissions and it looks promising. I will do a some research on how it applies to Windows 2008. I hope to work on this issue on the weekend, when I have the server for a couple of days.

I did reset permissions for the $Recycle.Bin folder; (they were being inherited from C:\) and in doing so was able to empty it successfully. The error pop up is no longer an issue.

The server; at this point is functional, but I'm concerned about applying any updates and rebooting. I also have an application upgrade that is coming up later this month that concerns me.

Once again, Thanks!

Manuel D. Parra
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:28 PM
  • I’m glad to see that the Recycle Bin gets the right permissions and the error doesn’t pop up again.

Regarding the error log of backup, I performed a lot of research, I found that if multiple application data folders formed, this issue occurs while taking a backup. This is by design. These folders should not be accessible and have a deny read/list permissions for everyone. If they are accessed, they will have multiple (32) application data folders. Thus please check the permissions of Application data folder, give the deny read/list permissions for everyone.

Best Regards

Dale

Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Hello,

I need to restore Windows 2008 Server system files to their original default permissions. It appears permissions on the entire C drive where Windows is installed have been changed. My first clue was a backup failure when backing up the C drive. Also when I logon to the server as a Domain Admin; a pop up referencing the Recycle Bin warns of a corrupt Recycle Bin on C:. It asks if I want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive? When I click Yes; It errors with "You need permission to perform this action". I've compared security setting on this server with another Windows 2008 server on the domain; and the permissions are very different.

• Proposed as answer by gabih_agam Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:29 PM
  • Hello,

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:30 PM