none
First Windows 2008 Domain Controller in 2003 Domain - Error delegation for this dns server cannot be created

Question

• Hello All,

I ran all prep commands for my Windows 2003 Domain.  I ran DCPROMO on a Windows 2008 R2 Server and I received a 

"A delegation error for this dns server cannot be created because the authoritative parent zone cannot be found or it does not run a DNS server. If you are integrating with an Existing DNS infrastructure you should manually create the delegation for this DNS Server in the parent zone to ensure reliable name resolution"

I think where I went wrong was not having the DNS server service installed before I ran DCPROMO.

Now I have a Windows 2008 Domain Controller with no primary DNS lookup zone.  My Windows 2008 Server cannot see the other servers via name resolution.

I presume the fix is to manually create the delegation in the parent zone.  ? Will this fix the replicate the proper DNS zone information from the primary zone?  

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• You're fine creating the delegation entry manually if it's really needed. How dose your DNS infrastructure/Namespace look like?

(e.g if you have a delegated namespace like corp.company.com) - You probbely don't want a delegation entry from company.com to corp as company.com is most likely only used externaly - and you can safely ignore this)

However if you promote a DC into a child domain (e.g child.corp.company.com) - you might want to go into the forest root domain (corp.company.com) and make sure that the newely promoted DC is part of any delegation from corp.company.com to child.

Enfo Zipper Christoffer Andersson – Principal Advisor

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:53 AM
  • Hello All,

I ran all prep commands for my Windows 2003 Domain.  I ran DCPROMO on a Windows 2008 R2 Server and I received a 

"A delegation error for this dns server cannot be created because the authoritative parent zone cannot be found or it does not run a DNS server. If you are integrating with an Existing DNS infrastructure you should manually create the delegation for this DNS Server in the parent zone to ensure reliable name resolution"

I think where I went wrong was not having the DNS server service installed before I ran DCPROMO.

Now I have a Windows 2008 Domain Controller with no primary DNS lookup zone.  My Windows 2008 Server cannot see the other servers via name resolution.

I presume the fix is to manually create the delegation in the parent zone.  ? Will this fix the replicate the proper DNS zone information from the primary zone?  

This is a known warning message. Take a look at below article too.

A common warning message for anyone who has installed Active Directory on Windows Server 2008 or Windows 2008 R2, especially on the first domain controller in a forest or domain is:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/activedirectoryua/archive/2011/07/07/a-delegation-for-this-dns-server-cannot-be-created-because-the-authoritative-parent-zone-cannot-be-found-or-it-does-not-run-windows-dns-server.aspx

Awinish Vishwakarma - MVP

My Blog: awinish.wordpress.com

Disclaimer This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

A known issue, details please go to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754463(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_Dcpromo

Regards,
    Cicely

Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:45 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Cicely and Awinish. However after manual creation os DNS delegation I suggest you to check the replication between DCs, if it is fine then DNS issue will be taken care by replication.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:02 AM