none
Evict and "un-cluster" a broken node from a two node cluster

Question

• Hello,

We have a two-node failover cluster which running SAP database.  One of the nodes are already broken. We plan to remove this node and get rid of the cluster, because we're facing some issues when trying to move disks (data) from old to new storage system (something like a "storage vmotion"). Obviously I won't need the cluster anymore.

I've already read the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282227 but I am worried about losing connection to application when evict the broken node and after remove the cluster service.. 

I've found lots of questions in this forum and internet about changing, removing a node.. but none question regarding eliminating a node from a two node cluster.

I'll appreciate any kind of help! 

Thank you,

Leonardo.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you just want to evict a broken node from the cluster, if you will not affect the running services on the living nodes.

By the way, what did you mean by “get rid of the cluster”? Did you want to destroy the cluster? If so, you need to stop the running services and remove the sources from the cluster.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you just want to evict a broken node from the cluster, if you will not affect the running services on the living nodes.

By the way, what did you mean by “get rid of the cluster”? Did you want to destroy the cluster? If so, you need to stop the running services and remove the sources from the cluster.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:26 AM
  • Hi! 

Yes, I want to destroy the cluster. But I am worried about users losing connection to the app running over the cluster. And this is a very critical app with a big ammount of data, wich would take ~3 days for rollback... 

I don't know if somebody here has already done something like this...

Thanks!!!

Leo.

Leo

Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

If this is a critical service, why did you want to destroy the cluster? You should replace the broken node with a new one and add it to the current cluster.

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:54 AM