none
Group policy preferences copy files

Question

• Thru a GPP i want to copy some files to the desktop if the client machine is a laptop. Because i cannot find a hardware profile anymore in WIndows7 Pro i decided to use a target item: battery or computername is laptop. Because our names starts with laptops i have tried: laptop*.* in the targeting item.

What i have done in the Gpp files:
    Source: \\server\share\*.*
    Target: \\%userprofile%\desktop

In the share sourcce there are 2 .reg files that must be copied to the users or all users desktop. As targeting item i have chosen battery.
    So i thought if the client machine has a battery those two files are beiing copied, but it doesn't work..
    There are no files on the users deskto.
    The user is a limited user, but the user has rights to the desktop so that can not be the couse.

Can it be that *.* in the source is nog working?
    Where can i troubleshoot why the files aren't copied?
    Is it possible to item targetting a name which starts with, lets say "laptop" and use laptop*.*?

freddie
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:39 PM

Answers

• Surfer10,

I don't know what GPP you use but I am sure the solution I gave you works. And yes, I tested it and use it this way!

Go to GPP Files - New file, choose Replace and in File source browse till the place you have the files you want to push on the users desktop. Chose one and then replace its name with * and not *.*. Click OK. In the target file, press F3 and from the list choose Desktopdir and if you want the files be on a folder on the user's desktop, use \folder.

The final look of these actions would be :

in File source : \\server\share\*

in Target folder : %DesktopDir%\folder

• Proposed as answer by Voldar Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by surfer10 Friday, March 04, 2011 10:05 AM
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, you can start with the Group Policy event log on the client. I would also suggest trying the operation without any item level targeting to narrow down the issue between the copy and targeting. Note that if you want to use a wild card on the computer name, you would use laptop*.

Also, make sure that the user has the rights for the test. They not only need local rights to the target, then need rights to the source (share and folder). This can easily be tested by running the copy as the user interactively.

Thanks,

Guy

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:01 PM
  • You can use the "Portable Computer Targeting" option to target to just laptops... this way you wont target Desktops that have a USB UPS connection attached....  See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754547.aspx

As for troubleshooting enable the "Configure Files preference logging and tracing" to troubleshoot why the file is not working See http://gps.cloudapp.net/Default.aspx?PolicyID=4912 

Hope it helps

Alan Burchill (MVP)
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz
    Follow me on twitter @alanburchill
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:38 AM
  • You can use the "Portable Computer Targeting" option to target to just laptops... this way you wont target Desktops that have a USB UPS connection attached....  See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754547.aspx

As for troubleshooting enable the "Configure Files preference logging and tracing" to troubleshoot why the file is not working See http://gps.cloudapp.net/Default.aspx?PolicyID=4912 

Hope it helps

Alan Burchill (MVP)
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz
    Follow me on twitter @alanburchill

I have no logs in the computer configuration. So thats also in the document. Downloaded the preferences and indeel in c:\program files is a subfolder called: group policy preferences. Choosing the language and there is a .adm file. I have copied this file in the c:\windows\inf on my local Windows 7 machine. Still no logs in the policy. Having closed gpmc.msc but no logs.

Must there be done something else to see the logs in the computer configuration - administrative templates - system - group policy=logs?

And is this the right way to copy files to the users desktop windows 7?:
    Source: \\server\share\*.*
    Target: %userprofile%\desktop
    I have also tried: %logonuserr%\desktop

freddie
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:30 AM
  • I can't see the gpo add in for the logging van group policy preferences. On the WIndows 7 machines i thought that the gpo are in the c:\windows\inf so i put the adml file in this folder. Must i import that file into the GPO administrative templates?

freddie
    Friday, February 25, 2011 9:49 AM
  • No i have tried almost everything:

In the source exact file name with share like: \\servershare\file_name.reg
    As destination: %userprofile%\desktop and %logonuser%\desktop and c:\exactusername\desktop\fil_name.reg also *.* as filename source and destination. No icons appears on the user desktop after restarting or forcing the gpp.
    Above with and without Item level targeting. With and without Apply once do not reapply.

The source share has read rights for everyone.

What can this be?

freddie
    Friday, February 25, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any errors in your Group Policy event log when the policy is refreshed?

Thanks,

Guy

Friday, February 25, 2011 5:44 PM
  • You mean in the Group Policy Results wizard?

No i don't see error's there. De group Policy is applied..

freddie
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

For troubleshooting, please enable Configure Files preference logging and tracing setting under the Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy node.

Enabling Group Policy Preferences Debug Logging using the RSAT
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/07/18/enabling-group-policy-preferences-debug-logging-using-the-rsat.aspx

For Windows XP, the log file is located in the folloiwng folder.
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GroupPolicy\Preference\Trace

For Windows 7, the log file is located in the folloiwng folder.
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\ProgramData\GroupPolicy\Preference\Trace

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the log files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")
    Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=e328cab0-cad0-4490-aaef-e115f0531b59)
    Password: 6#pMuccrvZ

Brent

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, February 28, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

For troubleshooting, please enable Configure Files preference logging and tracing setting under the Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy node.

Enabling Group Policy Preferences Debug Logging using the RSAT
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/07/18/enabling-group-policy-preferences-debug-logging-using-the-rsat.aspx

For Windows XP, the log file is located in the folloiwng folder.
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GroupPolicy\Preference\Trace

For Windows 7, the log file is located in the folloiwng folder.
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\ProgramData\GroupPolicy\Preference\Trace

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the log files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")
    Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=e328cab0-cad0-4490-aaef-e115f0531b59)
    Password: 6#pMuccrvZ

Brent

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thx, but this doesn't succeed yet. I have downloaded the adml file and installed it and copied it to my WIndows 7 machine in the c:\windows\inf and the c:\program files. But i still don't see the logging node in Group Policy.
    What more must i do to enable logging.

I now have narrowed the problem down.
    If i do a copy in GPP from for example: c:\filename and the target: c:\temp\filename with item level targeting name=laptop* then the filecopy succeed, but when i use as a target: %userprofile%\desktop or %logonuser%\desktop it goes wrong.
    It goes also wrong when i use as a source a share like: \\server\share\filename and target: c:\temp

freddie
    Monday, February 28, 2011 10:57 AM
  • just succeeded to copy 1 file. *.* or *.extension doesn't work.

I have to add the domain computers to the share reading rights.
    Then it does not work when i use:
    %userprofile%\desktop or %logonuser%\desktop

If i want to copy to a desktop how to use this in the target?

freddie
    Monday, February 28, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Am 28.02.2011 13:57, schrieb surfer10:

Then it does not work when i use:
    %userprofile%\desktop or %logonuser%\desktop

Common Tab: Run in logged on user context

Mark

Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

Homepage:    www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
    GPO Tool:    www.reg2xml.com - Registry Export File Converter
    NNTP Bridge: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/releases

Monday, February 28, 2011 1:01 PM
  • This item is greyed out?

freddie
    Monday, February 28, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Am 28.02.2011 14:54, schrieb surfer10:

This item is greyed out?

because  you configured it inside the computerconfiguration.
    You can not copy files userbased on a computer config.

Copy them as the user, that should have them, otherwise you can
    a) have security problems, like now
    b) you can not resolve %username% as a computer

Mark

Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

Homepage:    www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
    GPO Tool:    www.reg2xml.com - Registry Export File Converter
    NNTP Bridge: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/releases

Monday, February 28, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Ok i am now trying under a user OU.

So the GPP edit under a users configuration (users OU) and
    If i use %userprofile%\desktop and select run in users context the file must be copied?

Because i have tried several things now and i was wundering if i can copy 2 files like this: *.* if it are more files with different extensions and if the extensions are the same i use: *.reg
    Is it possible to copy more files with GPP in one entry?

freddie
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Surfer,

Yes, it is possible to copy more than one file in one entry. Use in the Source folder wildcards (*, ?) : i.e. \\server\share\*

In the Target, click on F3 and choose DesktopDir (%DesktopDir%) from the list that appears.

Monday, February 28, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Thx. The thread is almost doen for me.

I was wundering though when i make the GPP a User preference and i wan't it to apply once then it is only run once for a user. So when the user is logged on to another laptop it isn't run anymore.
    Thatswhy i made the copy files action under the computerconfiguration. I thought run it once in a computer so it is for everu user on that computer.

freddie
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 7:56 AM
  • I still can't get this done.

Am now using the user preference. the command i have now is:
    source:\\server\share\*
    Target: %desktopdir%\*

In the source there are 2 .reg files which i want to place on every users on laptops.
    However the files are not copied to the desktop when i restart the laptop several times...

What is wrong in this case

freddie
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 8:29 AM
  • Try changing to the following:

source:\\server\share\*.*

target: %desktopdir%\

In my experience, the target shouldn't have a file name and must end with a '\'. I'm not sure the source change is needed but that's the syntax I typically use.

Thanks,

Guy

Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Surfer10,

I don't know what GPP you use but I am sure the solution I gave you works. And yes, I tested it and use it this way!

Go to GPP Files - New file, choose Replace and in File source browse till the place you have the files you want to push on the users desktop. Chose one and then replace its name with * and not *.*. Click OK. In the target file, press F3 and from the list choose Desktopdir and if you want the files be on a folder on the user's desktop, use \folder.

The final look of these actions would be :

in File source : \\server\share\*

in Target folder : %DesktopDir%\folder

• Proposed as answer by Voldar Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by surfer10 Friday, March 04, 2011 10:05 AM
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 6:29 PM
  • After hours of running this through in a lab, I finally figured out the issue.

If your doing a FILE copy the name of the SOURCE FILE needs to be supplied and the name of the destination file needs to be stated.

NOT WORKING:

Source file \\servername\sharename\filename

Destination file %desktopdir%\

The above is a PATH not a FILE

You will get a file not found issue. It makes sense thought to copy this file from this spot to this directory.

However, you need to specify the source filename and the destination file name.

WORKING:

Source file \\servername\sharename\filename

Destination file %desktopdir%\filename

Example:

Source \\server1\share1\filename1.bat

Destination \\%desktopdir%\filename1.bat

I found if you did *.extension or *.* it worked fine as well.

If you enter a explicit file name in the source directory it did not.

I've tested and it works correctly now.

Tips:

Use User Configuration GPP

In Common select "Run in logged-on user's security context"

In destination file press F3 you will get a menu to choose variables from. I can't confirm but I read that you can't use system variables, as they are different then GPP variables. IE %desktop% (system) vs %desktopdir% (GPP).

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:22 PM