none
2012 RDS pooled collection virtal desktop storage on multiple disks

Question

• I am going through setting up a VDI pooled collection on RDS 2012. There doesn't seem to be a way to tell the setup to store the pooled VDI's on multiple data stores. It looks like the only option is a single CSV location. Is that really the case? If I want a pooled of 50 VDI's in the collection I can't have thjem all on one CSV.
    Friday, December 07, 2012 11:46 PM

Answers

• You can use local storage, SMB share, or CSV.  Once you select the location though, the whole collection must be stored in that location, you can't specify that 25 VMs are in one location and the other 25 in another.

Have you considered using SMB shares where the file shares are clustered?

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:22 PM
  • You can't move them once the collection has been created.  You would need to re-create the collection after you move the VMs to different storage.

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:33 PM

All replies

• You can use local storage, SMB share, or CSV.  Once you select the location though, the whole collection must be stored in that location, you can't specify that 25 VMs are in one location and the other 25 in another.

Saturday, December 08, 2012 3:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. I don't see how using an SMB share would help. I'd have the same issue. All users VDI's for that pool going to one file share thats backed by one LUN/Disk. Unless I get creative and setup a storage pool to span the voumes (although I vaugly remember that using any form of raid storage is unsupported).  So end the end I'm still kind of stuck creating 1 pool for every CSV I plan on using even though they will be the same. This makes user assignment more challenging as well as I know have to break them up into multiple collections. This seems like something Microsoft should look at addressing sooner rather than later. A lot of arrays have target based queue limitations where I can just assigned a 2TB LUN and get the same performance as spanning disks as well.

Also what is the support statement on moving the VMs to a different disk while they are being managed by the collection?

Saturday, December 08, 2012 7:44 PM
  • You can't move them once the collection has been created.  You would need to re-create the collection after you move the VMs to different storage.

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:33 PM