none
Hyper-V Import Wizard: Choose Import Type?

Question

• Running WINSERVER2k12 RC Build 8400

General question I can't find an answer to:

When Import a VM via Hyper-V Manager GUI, after the VM folder is located and the VM is selected, at step 3 I am asked to "Choose Import Type" and I have three options to choose from:
    •Register the VM in-place
    •Restore the VM
    •Copy the VM

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between  the options?

Thanks!

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:31 PM

Answers

• Register
      • If you have a virtual machine were you have already put all of the virtual machine files exactly where you want them, and you just need Hyper-V to start using the virtual machine where it is – this is the option you want to choose.
    • Restore
      • If your virtual machine files are stored on a file share / removable drive / etc… and you want Hyper-V to move the files to the appropriate location for you, and then register the virtual machine – this is the option for you.
    • Copy
      • If you have a set of virtual machine files that you want to import multiple times (e.g. you are using them as a template for new virtual machines) this is what you want to choose.  This will copy the files to an appropriate location, give the virtual machine a new unique ID, and then register the virtual machine.

Cheers

Shaba !

Shaba

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:25 AM

All replies

• Register
      • If you have a virtual machine were you have already put all of the virtual machine files exactly where you want them, and you just need Hyper-V to start using the virtual machine where it is – this is the option you want to choose.
    • Restore
      • If your virtual machine files are stored on a file share / removable drive / etc… and you want Hyper-V to move the files to the appropriate location for you, and then register the virtual machine – this is the option for you.
    • Copy
      • If you have a set of virtual machine files that you want to import multiple times (e.g. you are using them as a template for new virtual machines) this is what you want to choose.  This will copy the files to an appropriate location, give the virtual machine a new unique ID, and then register the virtual machine.

Cheers

Shaba !

Shaba

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:25 AM
  • Hi,

Add:

Choose either Restore the virtual machine or Copy the virtual machine, click next and you will get a new window like the following screenshot to do more settings.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Hello Shaba,

Thanks for the breakdown of the options!! MS should incorporate your answer as pop-up help text for future versions!

I really appreciate the reply.

Ethan

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:45 PM
  • What exactly means new unique ID here? is that the SID?
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:18 PM