How to enable and control CPU core parking

Question

• One of the new features of Windows Server 2008 R2 is the ability to park one or more CPU's cores if the server does not need all the CPU resources. This saves power. To enable core parking and to control it, a Group Policy or local policy should be used according severall blogs and sites.

However, I have not been able to find any setting which actually configures core parking. Can anyone explain where and how exactly core parking can be set?
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 7:38 AM

Answers

• hi there,

i have went through the documents published from microsoft and all that is written is a equivalent group policy is provided to manage core parking / power management.

i have gone through the below link worth looking at it

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/E/6/5E66B27B-988B-4F50-AF3A-C2FF1E62180F/ENT-T552_WH08.pptx

sainath !analyze
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, September 14, 2009 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 8:09 AM
  • Hello,
    There isn't a group policy setting for Core Parking.

RK Jeevan, your observations are correct, it's enabled in Balanced mode and off in High Performance mode

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Friday, November 06, 2009 3:02 AM
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:38 PM

All replies

• hi there,

i have went through the documents published from microsoft and all that is written is a equivalent group policy is provided to manage core parking / power management.

i have gone through the below link worth looking at it

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/E/6/5E66B27B-988B-4F50-AF3A-C2FF1E62180F/ENT-T552_WH08.pptx

sainath !analyze
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, September 14, 2009 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 8:09 AM
  • Hi MarcelvdBe,

I want to see if the information provided by sainath was helpful. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:00 AM
  • Hi - According to my personal experience, It depends on the system power managment scheme,  in Balanced Mode -Core parking gets enabled, in High Performance mode- Cpu will never be parked.

Note: Again.. its just my personal observation.

Regards

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 4:43 PM
  • Hello,
    There isn't a group policy setting for Core Parking.

RK Jeevan, your observations are correct, it's enabled in Balanced mode and off in High Performance mode

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Friday, November 06, 2009 3:02 AM
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:38 PM