none
C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\LOG folder huge

Question

• Hi there,

My C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\LOG folder is huge. It contains about 34,000 files and is 22GB in size. Can I just delete all the files? Somehow this folder got so large that it crashed my server. Most of the files seem to be something like: "SQLDump0005.txt" or "SQLDump5736.txt" etc.

Or is there some command I can run to safely remove all these files?

Can someone help?

Thanks!

Steve.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:52 AM

Answers

• So the event log is showing that something is causing SQL to terminate, in which case like I said previously I'd say your next step is to have a look at the latest sqldump txt and log files (can't remember from memory which gives the most useful info), and see what is being reported in there. Note there will be a LOT of information listed in there, since they include all the information relating to the current state of the server at the time of the crash, but somewhere in there you should find a reference to some kind of error which then caused the problem. That will then either give you a clear indication immediately of what is happening so you can hopefully fix it, or at least an error code which you can then search for to find more information.

Re-installing might well resolve it, but I'd suggest in the short term it's better to resolve the underlying problem if you can so you can ensure it doesn't happen again.

• Marked as answer by Big_Robbo Friday, May 06, 2011 2:32 AM
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 7:09 AM

All replies

• Now it turns out WSUS isn't working at all. If I try and do a Synchronization I get a message that says: "Error: Database Error ... Click Reset Server node to try and connect to the server again." 

When I click reset server node WSUS comes back to life like it's working unless I click Synchronizations again, in which case the same result occurs.

Is there a way out of this mess?

Thanks!

Steve. 

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:02 AM
  • In terms of space, the SQLDumpnnnn.txt files can indeed be deleted, they are generated by SQL when there's a problem to dump the current state and information about what caused the error to a file. If you're seeing a lot of them being generated currently that would suggest there's a problem with your SQL installation somewhere, which might be the cause of your problem rather than WSUS itself.

I'd suggest clearing out the older dump files so you can at least recover some space, and then look through the most recent logs, plus your event logs and SQL logs, and see what errors are showing in there. If the space used by the files did indeed cause the server to crash then it might be that there isn't enough space remaining for the database to expand to allow it to add the new data when you synchronize. Otherwise there might be some other problem like the database being corrupt or something, but the logs should indicate what the situation is either way.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:48 AM
  • Thanks for that. I deleted all the txt files as you suggested but there are also ones called "SQLDump0005.log" and "SQLDump0005.mdmp" - can I just remove those also?

Finally the events in the Event log are this every 30 seconds or so:

ID: 17310: A user request from the session with SPID 51 generated a fatal exception. SQL Server is terminating this session. Contact Product Support Services with the dump produced in the log directory.

Is this a lost cause? Should I just uninstall it and re-install?

Thanks,

Steve.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi again,

I read in another thread that the answer to this problem was just to install the service pack, so I installed SQL Server Express SP3, but to no avail. The problem still exists, and the hard disk is slowly filling up again (161MB free of 40GB), and those 17310 events are still being created.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 10:38 AM
  • So the event log is showing that something is causing SQL to terminate, in which case like I said previously I'd say your next step is to have a look at the latest sqldump txt and log files (can't remember from memory which gives the most useful info), and see what is being reported in there. Note there will be a LOT of information listed in there, since they include all the information relating to the current state of the server at the time of the crash, but somewhere in there you should find a reference to some kind of error which then caused the problem. That will then either give you a clear indication immediately of what is happening so you can hopefully fix it, or at least an error code which you can then search for to find more information.

Re-installing might well resolve it, but I'd suggest in the short term it's better to resolve the underlying problem if you can so you can ensure it doesn't happen again.

• Marked as answer by Big_Robbo Friday, May 06, 2011 2:32 AM
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 7:09 AM
  • Hi there,

In the end I tried to remove it using these instructions: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2008/11/05/how-to-manually-remove-all-of-wsus.aspx

...and installed it as a role onto my DC which was running server 2008 R2. I now have another problem which I've documented here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-NZ/winserverwsus/thread/6e34af87-4704-4c2c-a4ff-8f93d0d53f29

Grrr! It seems like it's just not meant to be...

Steve.

Friday, May 06, 2011 2:03 AM