none
An error occurred while communicating with the remote host. The error code is 0x80070001

Question

•  Hi all,

I have two environments running Windows Server 2008 Web Edition /w SP2, IIS 7 and .NET framework 3.5. One is a physical server and the other is a virtual machine under Hyper-V. They are running identical web applications. Sporadically throughout the day on the virtual machine environment photo uploads will hang after a few seconds of uploading and I will receive the error in the subject. Exception trace is as follows:

[COMException - Incorrect function. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070001)]

[HttpException - An error occurred while communicating with the remote host. The error code is 0x80070001.]
       at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.RaiseCommunicationError(Int32 result, Boolean throwOnDisconnect)
       at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityCoreSync(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ReadEntityBody(Byte[] buffer, Int32 size)
       at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent()
       at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetMultipartContent()
       at System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection()
       at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form()
       at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_HasForm()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod(Boolean dontReturnNull)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Does anyone know what would cause my virtual environment to throw these errors while the physical machine won't? Connection rates are very similar on successful photo uploads, and other than this error there is no way to tell from the client side which you are connected to. On the VM I've disabled the advanced features on the virtual NIC which are incompatible (receive window autotuning, TCP offloading and congestion provider) which seemed to reduce the amount of times the error occurs, but it is still happening 10-15 times a day (against 2000 or so requests). There are no other VMs on the host and very little load on it at any time.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Friday, March 26, 2010 5:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• TCP Task Offloading options of the NIC driver should be set at the physicla NIC level (the nic of the host that the External virtual network is using).

Be sure that you are not disabling chimney and thinking that you are disabling Task Offloading.

In the settings of the driver are options with 'offloading' in the name - these are the options to turn off.

Disable Power managment on the phsycial NIC (some drivers turn this on).

Try a physical Intel NIC (the least problematic of all with Hyper-V)

Check that the ICs in the VM are equal to the host.

check for other issues with the VM such as resource spiking with CPU or disk IO or anything else that might cause a hang.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Friday, March 26, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

You will find the similar issue in the following posts.

Remote Desktop issue? When Virtual network created (PC only have one NIC adaptor)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2virtualization/thread/5b02a02b-e206-4a05-b27b-7c54ee5f3e2e

Unstable System due to use of "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter"

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2virtualization/thread/d6e1736d-c17e-4c17-beaf-8afb0fd8927a

As Brian mentioned, if possible, please add an extra physical network adapter to check.

By the way, I would like to know whether your current physical network adapter is Broadcom.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:30 AM
  • I have a client with a .Net 4 app on a VM running Windows Server 2008 that is exhibiting the (almost) exact symptoms as described here by devilin.  We have looked through and tried applying the suggestions posted here with no luck.  Since there was nothing posted indicating that these suggestions actually helped to solve the problem I thought I would post and ask if this problem was ever resolved and what the ultimate resolution ended up being.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:11 AM
  •  

Hey Jasbill,

Sorry, I don't have anything good to tell you. We also followed the suggestions found here and in another few forums without any success. Eventually I had to bring this back to our developers as something to be dealt with in the code. They were able to make the application better able to survive these disconnects, although they still occur.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Hi Devillin
    We are experiencing similar issues in an almost similar environment.Can you give a high level overview of how were you able to mitigate this in code?
    Friday, October 05, 2012 3:46 PM