none
I cannot ping by hostname

Question

• We're running a Root/Child domain in a W2K8 forest.  I have a confirmed network connection between the two subnets in question from ROOT (subnet A) I can ping DC and devices on the CHILD (subnet B) by IP and by FQDN, but not by hostname.  I can ping resources from Subnet B to Subnet A by IP, FQDN and hostname.  The Firewall service is disabled and DCDIAG /test:dns returned PASSED.

What am I missing?  Thanks for any help.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:34 PM

Answers

• Hi jwmms,

Thanks for posting here.

> I can ping DC and devices on the CHILD (subnet B) by IP and by FQDN, but not by hostname. 

Actually if ping hostname directly , system will resolve by using NETBIOS protocol , so have you deployed WINS in your environment ?

Otherwise if no result, client will try to resolve by using DNS , it will query with DNS server by attaching the primary DNS suffix and the reset suffixes where listed in DNS suffix search list on client.

For DNS clients, the DNS suffix search list extends or revises their DNS search capabilities. By adding additional suffixes to the list, the DNS client searches for short, unqualified computer names in more than one specified DNS domain. Then, if a DNS query fails, the DNS Client service can use this list to append other name suffix endings to the original name query and then repeat DNS queries to the DNS server for these alternate FQDNs. When the suffix search list is empty or unspecified, the primary DNS suffix of the computer is appended to short unqualified names, and a DNS query is used to resolve the resultant FQDN. If this query fails, the computer can try additional queries for alternate FQDNs by appending any connection-specific DNS suffix configured for network connections.

According your description right now , I suspect that you may have not assigned the child domain name into the root domain hosts’ DNS suffix search list ,could you try it and see how is going ?

Configuring Query Settings

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959339.aspx

Meanwhile, please also take look the article below for how to set name resolution in parent-child forest domain environment :

Providing Single-Label DNS Name Resolution

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816610(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by jwmms Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:02 AM

All replies

• What you're missing depends on your DNS design, whether a parent-child DNS delegation, or forest wide zone replication, as well as DNS Search Suffixes.

Please read the following for more specific info, and post back with your configuration after understanding the different DNS design options.

DNS Design Options in a Multi-Domain Forest & How to create a Parent-Child DNS Delegation
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2010/10/01/dns-parent-child-dns-delegation-how-to-create-a-dns-delegation.aspx

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Enterprise Administrator, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Tiger Li Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:02 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by jwmms Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Hi jwmms,

Thanks for posting here.

> I can ping DC and devices on the CHILD (subnet B) by IP and by FQDN, but not by hostname. 

Actually if ping hostname directly , system will resolve by using NETBIOS protocol , so have you deployed WINS in your environment ?

Otherwise if no result, client will try to resolve by using DNS , it will query with DNS server by attaching the primary DNS suffix and the reset suffixes where listed in DNS suffix search list on client.

For DNS clients, the DNS suffix search list extends or revises their DNS search capabilities. By adding additional suffixes to the list, the DNS client searches for short, unqualified computer names in more than one specified DNS domain. Then, if a DNS query fails, the DNS Client service can use this list to append other name suffix endings to the original name query and then repeat DNS queries to the DNS server for these alternate FQDNs. When the suffix search list is empty or unspecified, the primary DNS suffix of the computer is appended to short unqualified names, and a DNS query is used to resolve the resultant FQDN. If this query fails, the computer can try additional queries for alternate FQDNs by appending any connection-specific DNS suffix configured for network connections.

According your description right now , I suspect that you may have not assigned the child domain name into the root domain hosts’ DNS suffix search list ,could you try it and see how is going ?

Configuring Query Settings

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959339.aspx

Meanwhile, please also take look the article below for how to set name resolution in parent-child forest domain environment :

Providing Single-Label DNS Name Resolution

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816610(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by jwmms Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Thanks, this worked well.  Additionally, I created a GPO to add the all the domains in the forest.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:15 PM