none
Will the running VMs be impacted if I restart the "Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management" service?

Question

• The host OS is Windows Server 2008 R2. Because of some particular reason, I have to restart the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service on the host. I don't know if this will impact the VMs (guest OS). This is the production environment. I don't have a lab environment to test. Thanks!

Thursday, July 19, 2012 6:09 AM

Answers

• Hi!

Restarting or stopping the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service should not affect running VM's, only your ability to manage them such as through Hyper-V manager.

• Proposed as answer by FZB Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by BrianEhMVP, Moderator Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:41 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Like Andrews said, your VMs are not going to be affected by stopping/restarting the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service. Durring that time those VMs will dissapear from the Hyper-V Management console, and you won't be able to manage them.

Adrian Costea - MCP, MCTS, MCSA 2003, MCITP: Windows 7

My Blog: www.vkernel.ro/blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you restart this service, your virtual machines will be unavailable for the time of restart. 

Why do yo have to do this operation ? 

David LACHARI
    MVP Virtual Machine - VCP et VTSP vSphere 4.1
    Blog DansTonCloud
    Auteur du livre Hyper-v v2 sous Windows Server 2008 R2

Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Hi!

Restarting or stopping the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service should not affect running VM's, only your ability to manage them such as through Hyper-V manager.

• Proposed as answer by FZB Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by BrianEhMVP, Moderator Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:41 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Like Andrews said, your VMs are not going to be affected by stopping/restarting the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service. Durring that time those VMs will dissapear from the Hyper-V Management console, and you won't be able to manage them.

Adrian Costea - MCP, MCTS, MCSA 2003, MCITP: Windows 7

My Blog: www.vkernel.ro/blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Thanks Mike and Adrian.
    Friday, July 20, 2012 2:00 AM