none
How to move?

Question

• Hello,

in http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6815 ,

This section writeen "

Test access to Internet resources from the Internet subnet

"

Move CLIENT1 from Corpnet subnet to the Internet subnet. Note that after network detection is complete, the warning symbol on the network icon in the system notification area no longer appears. Hover over the network icon in the system notification area and notice that it indicates Internet access.

Now how do Move CLIENT1 from Corpnet subnet to the Internet subnet ?

It means change IP and DNS ?

Please help me

Sunday, January 06, 2013 2:16 AM

Answers

• Now how do Move CLIENT1 from Corpnet subnet to the Internet subnet ?

In a physical environment, you unplug the client from the internal network, and you plug it into the external network between the ISP's router and your internal router that is running NAT.

In a virtual environment, such as HyperV, you change the network adapter the client is using the "public" interface.

Absolutely. Yes. When the client is on the internet side, it is now using an internet public DNS and IP address, not the internal IP or internal DNS. THe reason is to test the client's ability to access resources that you've made available on the internet, such as a webserver, ftp server, mail server, etc, using a "public" IP and "public" DNS.

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP/EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2 & Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Technical Blogs & Videos: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by Arash_89 Sunday, January 06, 2013 9:35 AM
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 4:35 AM
  • Arash,

To move it, you simply unplug it from corpnet and plug it into internet subnet. It gets an IP automatically because INET1 has DHCP running on it.

I assume you've read through the COMPLETE document to understand all the settings and services that are supposed to be setup and running. I also assume you understand basic IP subnetting. I downloaded and devoted the past hour to read through the whole guide for you. I found the guide actually has all the information and answers to the questions you're asking.  The lab guide has a diagram that shows which subnet is the "Internet" and which subnet is the "Intranet."

I also took the time to modify the diagram in the guide to show you a better layout of what is supposed to be on each server, their IPs, etc.

I hope it helps.

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP/EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2 & Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Arash_89 Monday, January 07, 2013 6:28 AM
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 9:24 PM

All replies

• Now how do Move CLIENT1 from Corpnet subnet to the Internet subnet ?

In a physical environment, you unplug the client from the internal network, and you plug it into the external network between the ISP's router and your internal router that is running NAT.

In a virtual environment, such as HyperV, you change the network adapter the client is using the "public" interface.

Absolutely. Yes. When the client is on the internet side, it is now using an internet public DNS and IP address, not the internal IP or internal DNS. THe reason is to test the client's ability to access resources that you've made available on the internet, such as a webserver, ftp server, mail server, etc, using a "public" IP and "public" DNS.

Ace Fekay

• Marked as answer by Arash_89 Sunday, January 06, 2013 9:35 AM
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 4:35 AM
  • Thank you for your reply,

So I want to set the IP  131.107.0.10 and DNS 131.107.0.1(INET1) or 131.107.0.2 (EDGE1) ?

Sunday, January 06, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Arash,

To move it, you simply unplug it from corpnet and plug it into internet subnet. It gets an IP automatically because INET1 has DHCP running on it.

I assume you've read through the COMPLETE document to understand all the settings and services that are supposed to be setup and running. I also assume you understand basic IP subnetting. I downloaded and devoted the past hour to read through the whole guide for you. I found the guide actually has all the information and answers to the questions you're asking.  The lab guide has a diagram that shows which subnet is the "Internet" and which subnet is the "Intranet."

I also took the time to modify the diagram in the guide to show you a better layout of what is supposed to be on each server, their IPs, etc.

I hope it helps.

Ace Fekay

• Marked as answer by Arash_89 Monday, January 07, 2013 6:28 AM
    Sunday, January 06, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Excellent
    Thank you
    Monday, January 07, 2013 6:32 AM