none
How best to return an Active Directory Computer's IP address

Question

• Hi there,

I recently posted a question in the directory services forum about the IPv4Address attribute of an Active Directory computer object.  I can easily (I thought) get them using the activedirectory cmdlets by running:

Get-ADComputer -filter * -Properties IPv4Address | select name, IPv4Address

When I run that on the computers in my domain, I found out that about 1/3 of them don't return any value for the IPv4 address.  What I found from the directory services forum is that IPv4Address is NOT an attribute of the object.  It's a value that is "looked up" at the time the cmdlet is run.

And therein lies my problem.  I'm trying to reconcile A records in our DNS server (which is a Linux server running BIND) with my computer objects and many names do not match.

What I need is a way to get the ACTUAL IP address from each machine with a computer object in active directory if possible.  My network has Win2k8 R2 domain controllers with about 2/3 Win7 Pro and 1/3 WinXP workstations.  For the most part all are running WinRM/PowerShell 2.0.  Anybody have a clever way to get these IP address from the machines instead of lookup from DNS?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Troy

Thursday, March 01, 2012 10:30 PM

Answers

• This will create a list of actual ip addresses found for each computer in the domain:

$result = @{}
    $computers = Get-ADComputer -Filter * | select -ExpandProperty name 
    foreach ($computer in $computers) {
        try {
            $ipAddress = Test-Connection $computer -Count 1 -ErrorAction stop | select -ExpandProperty ipv4address
            $result.Add($computer, $ipAddress)
            }
        catch
            {
            Write-host "$computer offline" -ForegroundColor red
            $result.add($computer, 0)
            }
        }
    $result

Grant Ward, a.k.a. Bigteddy

What's new in Powershell 3.0 (Technet Wiki)

Friday, March 02, 2012 5:10 AM

All replies