none
Rebalancing Storage Spaces?

Question

• I know that storage spaces doesn't automatically rebalance when you add / remove drives. Is there any way through powershell to manually rebalance?

I don't know if it matters but i'm using ReFS in a parity configuration.

If it isn't possibly what do you do when you run out of space on your pool and add a new drive? If you can't rebalance then you would still be out of space. 

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 3:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please see the links provided in following thread:

Storage Spaces Rebalancing

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/3d569bef-8540-4263-b7bf-35d7a61ea8b2/

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 11, 2013 7:06 AM
  • So the short answer is that it's not possible to re-balance in any
    practical sense, except perhaps by migrating all data to a new storage
    space or similar?

Friday, January 11, 2013 8:14 AM
  • It seems so. As you said it is also discussed a lot in that thread.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:23 AM
  • To all googlers who spend hours searching the net for a solution to the rebalance problem in a parity configuration (Like me ;). At the moment (January 2013) there is no Microsoft tool that does the job (includes PowerShell commands). To ensure that all hard drives can get the same level, you have to copy all the data once, and then delete the originals. That takes a while, but is currently the only way.
    Regards
    • Proposed as answer by VR38DETTMVP Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:18 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:32 AM
  • Thanks for all the research. Not totally surprising, but Storage Spaces
    really is a v1 product, it'll probably just be a matter of time until
    there's a better toolset for this.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:21 AM
  • Unfortunately for me, I AM surprised. Jebus Christ. I've been giving Microsoft too much credit. I was expecting it to work, at a minimum like Drive Extender in WHS. It's nothing like Drive Extender and is a pain in the ass for me right now. I was running out of space so I bought a 3TB drive and added it to the pool. Now the entire pool is offline, because it's expecting another disk to match the 3tb that was just added, supposedly, it's all out of space...

and there is no way to REMOVE a disk from the storage spaces control panel. This is all under Win8 Pro. I'm not using the server edition. Publish the limitations so that people can make wise decisions before they commit.

GRRR

Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:06 PM
  • this is exactly what happened to me!!!

even worse i used the last slot in hpmediasmartserver when i added the 3TB so even if i buy another 3TB drive i have no where I can put it....

Have you found anyway to get round this please...

I just did the 8.1 upgrade just in hope it might have updates to fix but its still an issue :(

any help at all would be gratefully received as i can not afford to loose my data on the storage pool / storage space....

Ian.

Friday, October 18, 2013 9:57 PM
  • I think I got it.

This has been frustrating me for the last 48 hours..I mean, what a huge oversight by MS. So my space consists of this:

3 1TB drives

1 3TB drive

1 1.5TB drive

Theoretical pool of 12TB and a real pool of 7 with parity.

So, currently spaces is saying my pool is full despite only using 3 of 7TB. When I look at the breakdown I see that the 3 1TBS are full while the 1.5 and 3TB are barely being used (they were the most recently added). Windows will not automatically rebalanced them. Well, in device manager I disabled one of the full 1TBs and strangely enough the pool stayed online, I guess parity was retained over the other drives.

Originally, I was thinking I would move some of the files off the pool onto the 1TB on it's own so as to shrink the pool down enough to remove another drive....and so on. But actually, after disabling the drive the storage pool gave me the option to remove the drive from the pool, which I did, and the pool stayed online. After removing the drive from the pool (so it would get automatically readded) I reenabled it in device manage. Storage spaces then gave me an option to reset (format) the drive and add it back to the pool.

So I did it and I'm noticing that now it's performing a lengthy repair process and my 1.5TB and 3TB are finally starting to be used. The process looks like it will take a few more hours but hopefully it will re-balance and then I can try with the other 2 full drives. Not sure if this applies to you but hopefully it helps and hopefully it works for me.

Btw, tried doing all this using server 2012 and it was insanely complicated so I had to go back to Windows 8.1, which is what I'm currently using.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:46 PM
  • I think I got it.

This has been frustrating me for the last 48 hours..I mean, what a huge oversight by MS. So my space consists of this:

3 1TB drives

1 3TB drive

1 1.5TB drive

Theoretical pool of 12TB and a real pool of 7 with parity.

So, currently spaces is saying my pool is full despite only using 3 of 7TB. When I look at the breakdown I see that the 3 1TBS are full while the 1.5 and 3TB are barely being used (they were the most recently added). Windows will not automatically rebalanced them. Well, in device manager I disabled one of the full 1TBs and strangely enough the pool stayed online, I guess parity was retained over the other drives.

Originally, I was thinking I would move some of the files off the pool onto the 1TB on it's own so as to shrink the pool down enough to remove another drive....and so on. But actually, after disabling the drive the storage pool gave me the option to remove the drive from the pool, which I did, and the pool stayed online. After removing the drive from the pool (so it would get automatically readded) I reenabled it in device manage. Storage spaces then gave me an option to reset (format) the drive and add it back to the pool.

So I did it and I'm noticing that now it's performing a lengthy repair process and my 1.5TB and 3TB are finally starting to be used. The process looks like it will take a few more hours but hopefully it will re-balance and then I can try with the other 2 full drives. Not sure if this applies to you but hopefully it helps and hopefully it works for me.

Btw, tried doing all this using server 2012 and it was insanely complicated so I had to go back to Windows 8.1, which is what I'm currently using.

Did this work? I have the same issue. Im almost out of space in a parity pool and need the space to rebalance once I add my new drive. Bizarre to me Windows doesnt do this automatically...

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:17 PM
  • I made parity space on 3 disks and then I copied a lot of data. Later I added another 2 disks one by one. The usage of these drivers becomes un-balancing. To balance the usage of totally 5 drivers, I created another  parity space and move the data from the old parity volume to this new volume. While in the moving, you will see the usage of the storage pool increasing continousely. Now you need run this:

optimize-volume -driveletter e: -retrim -verbose

Volume "e:" is my old parity space. this command will return the un-used space back to pool.

Tuesday, August 05, 2014 8:46 AM