none
IE 8 WMI filtering

Question

• I understand that the namespace has been removed for IE8 in WMI.  Does anyone know of a way to filter IE8 policies other than reinstalling the namespace or do I have put the namespace back on the build and will that cure it?

Thanks

Friday, March 26, 2010 1:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for update.

Please try the following WMI filter

NameSpace: root\CIMv2

Query:
    SELECT path,filename,extension,version FROM CIM_DataFile WHERE path="\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\" AND filename="iexplore" AND extension="exe" AND version>"8.0"

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The description seems not clear, could you please give us more information about what you would like to do? Or information about the namespace you mentioned.

Thanks.

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:57 AM
  • In Group Policy, I want to create a filter that identifies Internet Explorer 8 so that I can apply policies limited to that version of IE.  The namespace used in previous version of the OS is "\root\\CimV2\\Applications\\MicrosoftIE". The following is a solution I found on the web:

====================================================================================================

Unfortunately, the easiest answer I've provided most people is to put the namespace back. To do this, you need to add a custom .MOF file on your client computers and then recompile the WMI repository using mofcomp.exe. Here is the sample .MOF file you can use.

=========
    #pragma autorecover
    #pragma namespace ("\\\\.\\Root\\CimV2\\Applications")

instance of __Namespace
    {
    Name = "MicrosoftIE";
    };

#pragma namespace ("\\\\.\\root\\CimV2\\Applications\\MicrosoftIE ")

[DYNPROPS]
    class MicrosoftIE_Summary
    {
    [key] string Name="";
    string Version;
    };

[DYNPROPS]
    instance of MicrosoftIE_Summary
    {
    Name = "Internet Explorer";
    [PropertyContext("local|hkey_local_Machine\\softwar e\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer|Version"),Dynamic,Provider("RegPropProv")] Version;
    };

==========

This should add the namespace back into WMI and prevent reauthoring WMI Filters.

========================================================================================================

Is this the only way I can accomplish this?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for update.

Please try the following WMI filter

NameSpace: root\CIMv2

Query:
    SELECT path,filename,extension,version FROM CIM_DataFile WHERE path="\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\" AND filename="iexplore" AND extension="exe" AND version>"8.0"

Thanks

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Thank you for your quick response.  I will try it.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the suggestions? Any update is welcomed. If there is any problem, please let us know the detailed error message.

Thanks.

Friday, April 02, 2010 5:14 AM
  • Sorry, as the test lab domain has not yet been put up I cannot test the filter.  They say it may take a couple of weeks.  As soon as it is up I will test it.

Thanks for your help.

Friday, April 02, 2010 12:25 PM
  •  

In my test environment, it works fine. Waiting for your result.

Thanks.

Monday, April 05, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Mervyn,

I finally got my test environment this week.  Thanks alot, it worked!!!

Friday, April 23, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Good morning Mervyn,

Sorry for my poor english, i'm french ^^.

I manage a parc of 400 computers. I want to modify with a GPO the INTERNET_PATH (to add "-nomerge") for computers using IE>8 only.

I added the WMI filter for to exclude the others (IE7). But there is a problem with your filter, i have a pc under IE7 by which INTERNET_PATH was changed by the GPO,however iexplorer.exe is definitely in version 7.0.

Have you an idea for my problem ?

Thanks you!

• Proposed as answer by Antoine Danel Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Antoine Danel Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:38 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:48 AM