none
Access denied when running Windows server backup.

Question

• Hi Guys.

I'm running a server with Win SRV 2008 R2 installed.

My boss has removed all access to a directory except for the user that must access it. Yes even the Administrators access has been removed.

Problem is that Windows server backup now fails to backup that directory and gives a access denied error.

I have given read, execute and list access to the System and BackupAdmins accounts but the backups still fail.

Which system accounts must have access to a directory to be able to back it up and what level of access is needed.

I really need some help with this so any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Eduard.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Friday, November 18, 2011 4:54 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Service Packs/Windows Server 2008 Service Packs)
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To use Windows Server Backup, you must be a member of the Backup Operators or Administrators group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.

The Administrator account already has full backup rights, If you are an administrator or a backup operator in a local group, you can back up any file and folder on the local computer to which the local group applies.

You may refer to the section “Backup Operators Group Overview” in the following article

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722456.aspx

Best Regards

Jeff Ren

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 3:12 AM